We've been here before

33jacket

Dodd-Like
Alot of thoughts about our program on the heels of alot of discussion and opinions.

For years, we enter the last game or two hearing "peach bowl or chikfila bowl is interested in tech, champs bowl is interested, gator bowl at the time is interested"; only to consistently, year after year lay a ööööing egg at the end of the season. For 10 years we have done this. For most of the 10 years, outside of 2 Johnson years and one Gailey we have been relegated to öööö bowls because we limp home. We finish weak. We have lost 5-6 straight at home to our rival.

This year I want to believe. I want to think PJ era is going to turn the tide a bit. Stop the losing streak at home. Win vs UGA and get a good bowl unlike practically every year prior.

Are we any different now?

I agree with Ken about techs arrogance and snobbery. Its true. Its not just in the rival with UGA. It is in general. What tech does, and its pathetic, is when our on field results are inferior, to a rival or another team, we fall back on well we are smarter than you are and your degree sucks. You know what, I want more passionate sidewalk fans with degrees from KSU and GSU etc. This has to stop. Its ridiculous and I know for a fact turns alot of people away from the school. It typifies nerd mentality. We play the game as equals on the field. We don't pull out calculus books. That öööö doesn't matter we don't start the game 7-0 because we are smarter or have a tougher school. What matters are W's and L's and we have to get our öööö right. I am an alumn, I get it, I went to Tech. I don't need to hear this that or the other about our school. I am telling you half this pussified fanbase needs to sack up. We need to stop using academics and stadium size as an excuse. Stop. It is an easy out and a ööööty excuse in an excuse ridden world. The fact is, as a program we have been inferior to UGA and our fans behave that way. Now what are we going to do about it?

Yet here we are, an administration honoring a guy who historically went out of his way to degrade our school. I still can't get this out of my mind. What are they thinking? I don't even know if its classy. I really don't. I can't believe we are doing this. I am at a loss for words. It again, goes into the direction of this administration not getting it. And if it's wes's idea, even if he was his friend, keep it there. He was NO FRIEND TO TECH. HE WAS A ööööING asshole on earth to this fanbase and school.

Can we change? This game is a turning point. Lose, PJ is 1-3 and headed down a path we have all too often lived. Win 2-2 and does the ship turn?

Is georgia tech, just going to be georgia tech for another 10 years or are we going to get our ööööing minds right as an institution, fanbase and administration?

For the life of me, I am routinely puzzled and mystified by the decisions and direction our "leadership" is taking this program. I really am. From proposals of trying to remove as much on campus tailgating as possible (perimeter deck parking and shuttle system), to honoring perhaps the biggest douche to tech since Bear Bryant, to ticket sales/concept and planning, in every which way something happens that makes me go HUH?

This saturday, has to go a long way to stop the trends. It has to. How can we change this deal? It just stinks, it smells like it has for 20 years. I don't have an answer, but by god it can't continue this way.

Happy thanksgiving and öööö UGA.

This saturday, has to go a long way to stop the trends. It has to. How can we change this deal? It just stinks, it smells like it has for 20 years. I don't have an answer, but by god it can't continue this way.

Happy thanksgiving and öööö UGA.

You can't, because this attitude (intellectual elitism and arrogance) is deeply ingrained in most of the alumni and administration, myself included. Most don't want to change it. Personally, I'm glad we don't have enough sidewalk fans to fill a 90k stadium like U[sic]GA.

As for the Larry Munson tribute, I think that is pretty standard. It's just going to be a pregame thing, before player introductions even. Times have changed and you have to do that now. Even Alabama fired the guy running stadium music for playing "Take the Money and Run" and "Son of a Preacher Man" during Cam's warmups, and that's supposed to the most nasty rivalry in football.

You can't, because this attitude (intellectual elitism and arrogance) is deeply ingrained in most of the alumni and administration, myself included. Most don't want to change it. Personally, I'm glad we don't have enough sidewalk fans to fill a 90k stadium like U[sic]GA.

Tell me, why would you NOT want to have a larger fanbase, resulting in higher funding for the athletic department, likely resulting in increased success on the field?

Tell me, why would you NOT want to have a larger fanbase, resulting in higher funding for the athletic department, likely resulting in increased success on the field?

Intellectual elitism and arrogance. All you have to do is look at the COFH hate thread and all the jokes about Wal-Mart and how dumb the fanbase is to see that.

You know what? I like falling back on Tech's academics, because that's more important than the win-loss record of my football team. I still love football more than anything, and I go to as many away games as possible, but I'm not going to go through 4.5 years of mental torture and completely put it aside. It's not our attitude that turns away sidewalk fans. It's our performance on the field.

Intellectual elitism and arrogance. All you have to do is look at the COFH hate thread and all the jokes about Wal-Mart and how dumb the fanbase is to see that.

people who work hard, mechanics, waiters, etc, regardless of where are good people, and can be good classy people, and I don't know why the öööö we constantly sport this elitist attitude towards folks that could potentially be classy, supportive, fans for our school. Who gives a öööö where you work. Does it define you? Make you a better person? Hell it doesn't even mean you have a better intellect. I really think its BS and lends its hands towards one of the root problems with our school. Our elitist you can't touch us attitude, BTW the NCAA would disagree as we have been on probation more and for more than these so called "classless" school, sucks IMO.

And I have heard, in my dealings with the GTAA, that one reason they stick it too us a little harder is because of this attitude. Just look at the crime vs punishment...look at the facts.

You know what? I like falling back on Tech's academics, because that's more important than the win-loss record of my football team. I still love football more than anything, and I go to as many away games as possible, but I'm not going to go through 4.5 years of mental torture and completely put it aside. It's not our attitude that turns away sidewalk fans. It's our performance on the field.

It may not be YOUR attitude, but the perception of a snobby elitist fanbase exists and I know for a fact turns folks away. Think what you want. Overcoming this denial is the first step to correcting our perception problems.

We have won on the field BTW, and ticket sales dropped YOY. If we have 10 win seasons 7 straight years, yes that would help. But no many schools can say that. So we have to fall back on other things. Like a better fanbase perception.

people who work hard, mechanics, waiters, etc, regardless of where are good people, and can be good classy people, and I don't know why the öööö we constantly sport this elitist attitude towards folks that could potentially be classy, supportive, fans for our school. Who gives a öööö where you work. Does it define you? Make you a better person? Hell it doesn't even mean you have a better intellect. I really think its BS and lends its hands towards one of the root problems with our school. Our elitist you can't touch us attitude, BTW the NCAA would disagree as we have been on probation more and for more than these so called "classless" school, sucks IMO.

It depends on what you want the program to be. I think it's perfect right now, although obviously I would like to win more.

However, I like the fact that we have higher admissions standards for our athletes even though it may hurt the quality of our on-field product. I like having a smaller number of fans, making all the aspects of the program (parking, tickets, etc.) more accessible, even if it means our stadium doesn't usually sell out (although what I'd really like is a 50k seat stadium.) I like having a large percentage of our fans be alumni, even if it may make us seem cold and inaccessible to those around us.

So what you consider a root problem with the program, I don't, and I think a lot of alumni and staff would agree with me, even if some wouldn't admit it because it makes us sound like assholes. If you want us to be a football factory like U[sic]GA, then that is definitely what is holding us back, but I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon.

If you really want to change that, you need to change the culture, and the very first thing you need to do is get people to stop making fun of U[sic]GA for 1) being dumb and 2) never having gone to the school. I think you'll find that somewhat difficult to do, even with those who claim they want a lot more sidewalk fans (many of whom are the exact type of people targeted when GT fans make fun of U[sic]GA.)

It depends on what you want the program to be. I think it's perfect right now, although obviously I would like to win more.

However, I like the fact that we have higher admissions standards for our athletes even though it may hurt the quality of our on-field product. I like having a smaller number of fans, making all the aspects of the program (parking, tickets, etc.) more accessible, even if it means our stadium doesn't usually sell out (although what I'd really like is a 50k seat stadium.) I like having a large percentage of our fans be alumni, even if it may make us seem cold and inaccessible to those around us.

So what you consider a root problem with the program, I don't, and I think a lot of alumni and staff would agree with me, even if some wouldn't admit it because it makes us sound like assholes. If you want us to be a football factory like U[sic]GA, then that is definitely what is holding us back, but I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon.

Woh wait. You are now putting words in my mouth. I never said anything contrary to the above in bold.

FYI, I worked as the president of an alumni board for 3 years with the GTAA. 40% of our season ticket holders ARE NOT ALUMNI. This is a false perception of the typical tech fan.

I am purely talking about eliminating the elitism, and changing the inferiority complex this program has with bigger better on the field schools.

It may not be YOUR attitude, but the perception of a snobby elitist fanbase exists and I know for a fact turns folks away. Think what you want. Overcoming this denial is the first step to correcting our perception problems.

We have won on the field BTW, and ticket sales dropped YOY. If we have 10 win seasons 7 straight years, yes that would help. But no many schools can say that. So we have to fall back on other things. Like a better fanbase perception.

Ticket sales dropped because of the öööö home schedule in 2010.

Ticket sales dropped because of the öööö home schedule in 2010.

LOL, proving the point that our fans 1) are not fans, they are situational fans 2) if we had a better broader more appealing fanbase this wouldn't happen.

Again, the fans need to change the perception.

well guys talk amongst yourselves. happy thanksgiving.

I think I got my concept out there. THWG

Woh wait. You are now putting words in my mouth. I never said anything contrary to the above in bold.

FYI, I worked as the president of an alumni board for 3 years with the GTAA. 40% of our season ticket holders ARE NOT ALUMNI. This is a false perception of the typical tech fan.

I am purely talking about eliminating the elitism, and changing the inferiority complex this program has with bigger better on the field schools.

Sorry, I didn't mean to do that, but I think all these things are intertwined. Why would you have higher admission standards than the NCAA requires if you don't consider yourself intellectually superior to other schools and want to flaunt it? We're purposely putting ourselves on an unlevel playing field.

I just think the elitism is so core to our school's and fanbase's identity that it factors into almost everything we do, and I don't think that will ever change.

is the larger fanbase composed mostly of people like you?

joking joking

I would just like to say to all Tech fans when you see a Ugay fan Saturday, don't drop your head and feel inferior to them as most of us do. Look them in the eye,acknowledge their presence and holler "Go Jackets".Be proud of you're Yellow Jacket football team. You might be surprised about how good you feel about yourself when you stare down a god damn bulldog fan!DO NOT LET THE UGAY FANS INTIMIDATE YOU!!!!! And to all the Tech players, just remember the last time Ugay came to BDS and ran all over your asses when you were really the better team, and remember the wrist bands they wore with "WE RUN THIS STATE" printed on them!!!NEVER FORGET!

Back