We've been here before

Why is that always a alums first question to someone you see rocking GT gear? Why not just ask, "Whats the good word?" or say Go jackets, or did you see the game?

I almost always have a GT hat on and it never fails, a GT grad sees my hat and ask, "So. when did you graduate ?". its ööööing annoying, please stop.

Because Georgia Tech alumni tend to care more about the school than the athletics programs.

There are lots of alumni by me, and that is almost always my first question when I meet people wearing GT gear or sporting it at their desk where I work: "oh, you went to Tech? When?" If a Tech alum walks past my cube, which of course has several GT decorations, they usually ask the same of me.

I do then usually turn the discussion to sports but unfortunately most of them do not really know or care much about it. That's just the nature of our school.

Even for me, a big Tech football fan and season ticket holder, my first thought when I see someone wearing the logo is not of sports but of the school itself.

Because alumni tend to care more about the school than the athletics programs.

That is almost always my first question when I meet people wearing GT gear or sporting it at their desk where I work (there are lots of alumni by me.) I do then usually turn the discussion to sports but unfortunately most of them do not really know or care much about it. That's just the nature of our school.

LOL, I have had people ask me that, I say I didn't go to Tech and they turn around and walk off. :rotfl: I usually laugh at them as they walk away and then say something smartass like, well I guess you don't wanna talk about the game huh?

LOL, I have had people ask me that, I say I didn't go to Tech and they turn around and walk off. :rotfl: I usually laugh at them as they walk away and then say something smartass like, well I guess you don't wanna talk about the game huh?

By the way, have you ever tried "What's the good word?" when you see a random person wearing GT? I've done it several times and never got a good answer, unless you count students. One time I swear to God the guy I asked didn't know, but his Clemson friend said "To hell with Georgia man, come on."

Needless to say, I have stopped trying that.

haha Yeah I do, about 50/50 on blank stares. Most the time I just compliment them on their hat, shirt or whatever it is. If I see a kid with GT gear on i make sure to compliment them and encourage them.

Now that I typed it tha last part sounds creepy.

i'm not a tech alum. i went to west georgia. Tech alumni that never went to a game and lived in the cs labs have been a little snotty when i worked with them....but not because they went to Tech...they are just smart people who know they are smart and remind everyone a little too often. But i've been going to Georgia Tech football games for over 20 years and i've never once felt unwelcome or looked down on. the people that we've sat next to for years in all directions know we are sidewalk fans and they've attended our weddings and exchanged christmas presents. my dad has been going to games for 50 years and has always been embraced as a "Tech man" even though he too is a sidewalk fan.

Maybe they do think it and just dont say it, or maybe im just too dumb to realize it, but ive never felt belittled for being a non alum fan. i think that maybe the assholes who may talk down about sidewalk fans to other alumni are probably the dicks that dont show up on saturdays because they've "got more important things to do". All true Tech fans have a close bond. True, i didnt go through the hell you did in college...i actually partied my ass off and went to "finals only" one semester....but we have suffered alongside through the losses and rejoiced together after wins. when i see a tech fan on the road... i smile. georgie fans dont share that...everyone who doesnt give a öööö just claims the mutts by default.

my point is this...i love all Tech fans because they are Tech fans. I dont give a öööö where they went to school...i just know if they pull for GT they actually care...they didnt just pick a default team. They wont be at the mall or resturaunt without a TV during a game. They bleed white and gold just like me and for that i consider them a friend. so those öööööööööööös down the road can have their 90+k stadium and their "dawg nation"...i'll take our small die hard fanbase every day of the week and twice on saturday. öööö georgia...goodnight.

i'm not a tech alum. i went to west georgia. Tech alumni that never went to a game and lived in the cs labs have been a little snotty when i worked with them....but not because they went to Tech...they are just smart people who know they are smart and remind everyone a little too often. But i've been going to Georgia Tech football games for over 20 years and i've never once felt unwelcome or looked down on. the people that we've sat next to for years in all directions know we are sidewalk fans and they've attended our weddings and exchanged christmas presents. my dad has been going to games for 50 years and has always been embraced as a "Tech man" even though he too is a sidewalk fan.

Maybe they do think it and just dont say it, or maybe im just too dumb to realize it, but ive never felt belittled for being a non alum fan. i think that maybe the assholes who may talk down about sidewalk fans to other alumni are probably the dicks that dont show up on saturdays because they've "got more important things to do". All true Tech fans have a close bond. True, i didnt go through the hell you did in college...i actually partied my ass off and went to "finals only" one semester....but we have suffered alongside through the losses and rejoiced together after wins. when i see a tech fan on the road... i smile. georgie fans dont share that...everyone who doesnt give a öööö just claims the mutts by default.

my point is this...i love all Tech fans because they are Tech fans. I dont give a öööö where they went to school...i just know if they pull for GT they actually care...they didnt just pick a default team. They wont be at the mall or resturaunt without a TV during a game. They bleed white and gold just like me and for that i consider them a friend. so those öööööööööööös down the road can have their 90+k stadium and their "dawg nation"...i'll take our small die hard fanbase every day of the week and twice on saturday. öööö georgia...goodnight.

+1

I don't know of any alumni who look down on any fan. We look down on Georgia fans because they take the easy way out on everything. It's not always easy being a Tech fan and people who choose to do it deserve respect. I don't even comprehend the basis of this thread because we embrace anyone who supports us.

I don't get why people keep pointing to the Tech grad that's the head of Walmart whenever we use Walmart jokes on UGA. Being the CEO of the world's biggest corporation is not the same thing as being a cashier at Walmart.

The problem with Walmart, even though they have a Tech CEO, they never sell any Tech hats, sweats or gear. The place is a UGA store, UGA stuff on every isle.

Actually, my first Tech game was at FSU, and I was going to Columbus State at the time. I said hey to the first Tech fans I saw, and they thumbed their noses at me after finding out that I was not attending Tech, and I promptly told them off and then went to tailgate with some nice FSU fans. There are assholes in every group.

+1

I don't know of any alumni who look down on any fan. We look down on Georgia fans because they take the easy way out on everything. It's not always easy being a Tech fan and people who choose to do it deserve respect. I don't even comprehend the basis of this thread because we embrace anyone who supports us.

The problem with Walmart, even though they have a Tech CEO, they never sell any Tech hats, sweats or gear. The place is a UGA store, UGA stuff on every isle.
It's called running a successful business. You sell stuff that sells. Period. If Tech gear sold to the degree that warranted stocking the stuff, they'd stock it and be damn glad to do it.

Howell Mill walmart has a lot of Tech stuff.

+1

It's not always easy being a Tech fan and people who choose to do it deserve respect. I don't even comprehend the basis of this thread because we embrace anyone who supports us.

This is so true. I am a side walk fan as some would say. I am because I chooze to be. I like their academic standards and the quality of sportsmanship they have exibited over the years. I agree it is not easy being a Tech fan but it is worth it. By the way I have been a Tech fan since the early fiftie's and have been going to Tech games since 1963 (Buying season tickets since 1988) and I have never been treated bad or looked down on by a Tech alumn.
All I can say is, "Praise the Lord for his goodness," and "Ma" Tech for your hospitality for me and my family.
"Happy Thanks giving to all."

This is so true. I am a side walk fan as some would say. I am because I chooze to be. I like their academic standards and the quality of sportsmanship they have exibited over the years. I agree it is not easy being a Tech fan but it is worth it. By the way I have been a Tech fan since the early fiftie's and have been going to Tech games since 1963 (Buying season tickets since 1988) and I have never been treated bad or looked down on by a Tech alumn.
All I can say is, "Praise the Lord for his goodness," and "Ma" Tech for your hospitality for me and my family.
"Happy Thanks giving to all."

You're as much of a tech man as anyone as far as I'm concerned :cheers:

Speaking of sidewalk fans, we had a pretty damn good discussion on the topic right before the season started. (LINK)

I've heard about Tech fans being snobs just like everyone else has. And honestly I may very well fit that mold even as a sidewalk fan. But there's a sub level of the academic argument of Tech vs. UGAg which is "Tech fans as decent, intelligent people" vs. "Georgia fans as ignorant, under-evolved adults who bark." I can only tally a score based on my own personal experience and as I near the end of the 24th year of my life, we are winning in blowout fashion.

So yes, Georgia fans, some of us can acknowledge our status as likely believing we're better than you. That, too, makes us better than you.
539-lolol.jpg

Oh, and FWIW, I don't treat "sidewalk" fans as unworthy. The way I think about it is that at some point, we were all sidewalk fans. The reason why Tech alumni may ask others when they've graduated from Tech is because we don't have a huge fan base, so the chance that he/she graduated from Tech is possibly higher than other fan bases. That's just my guess. I usually say "Go Jackets!" or compliment him/her on the Tech apparel.

My cousin is a Tech fan solely because it's where Calvin Johnson went to college. She roots for Tech and the Lions, but won't be going to Tech. Works for me.

Back