What’s the skinny on our recruiting class?

We had one once...

GTbomb.gif
Did we win that game?

Yeah, yeah, I already know

Sharing this before I get flamed and ratio'ed to death. A contributor to a Dawg Blog compiled some recruiting data over the past 10 years and compared UGA vs. Tech specifically focusing on "in-state" recruits. The results are as ugly as you might think:

***Based on the 247Sports Composite rankings, since the 2008 recruiting class, which was Johnson’s first at Tech:
— Tech over 11 years has averaged signing the No. 30 ranked player in Georgia as their highest ranked in-state recruit
— The highest player Tech has signed in the last 11 years was ranked No. 17 in 2002
— There have only been two years when Tech signed a Top 20 player
— There were two years when Tech’s highest in-state recruit was ranked No. 50
— In the last five recruiting classes, Tech has averaged signing the No. 41 player in the state
— In Johnson’s first six recruiting classes, Tech averaged signing the No. 21 ranked player in the state
— In 2007, the year before Johnson became the coach, Tech signed the No. 5 and No. 7 ranked player in the state. It was a Chantastic year as Tech had the No. 15 ranked recruiting class in the country and the second in the ACC
— Johnson’s average recruiting class since then has ranked No. 51 nationally and No. 9 in the ACC. His best national class was ranked No. 41 in 2007 and his worst was No. 70 in 2013
— During the last 11 years Duke, Stanford, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Cal — all highly ranked academic schools — have signed four or more players from the state of Georgia who ranked higher than the highest player signed by Tech.

I haven't lived in the state of Georgia since 2011, so I'm having a hard time believing alot of this is true. What happened to the South Georgia pipeline we used to have? Here is the blog in question, feel free to flame away in their comments section: https://blutarsky.wordpress.com/201...enius-how-much-does-recruiting-matter-anyway/

Sharing this before I get flamed and ratio'ed to death. A contributor to a Dawg Blog compiled some recruiting data over the past 10 years and compared UGA vs. Tech specifically focusing on "in-state" recruits. The results are as ugly as you might think:

I haven't lived in the state of Georgia since 2011, so I'm having a hard time believing alot of this is true. What happened to the South Georgia pipeline we used to have? Here is the blog in question, feel free to flame away in their comments section: https://blutarsky.wordpress.com/201...enius-how-much-does-recruiting-matter-anyway/

As much as I like to do pointless research, I'm not taking the time to verify or debunk those stats. Nor would I go out of my way to interract with mutt fans for any reason ever, so they can gloat about their Rivals national championship if they please. Meanwhile, their most recent actual natty is pushing 40. As long as they are reading StinGTalk, there are several other threads that they may enjoy, I'm sure.

I'd say that's true. I think Justin Thomas was the better passer (and he was recruited by none other than Kirby Shart to play DB at Bammer), but I think Nesbitt gets the nod because of what he could do with his size in our offense. Either way, both 4 star recruits, though JT was rated as an ATH, as is James Graham, who I am pretty hyped about.

Ratings for other CPJ QB's:

Vad: 3 star QB
Tevin: 2 star ATH (I have a lot of respect and appreciation for this guy no matter what anybody says, same as Reggie)
Matthew Jordan: 3 star QB
TaQuon: 3 star ATH
Lucas Johnson: 3 star QB
Tobias Oliver: 3 star QB

Basically, difference-making athletes at QB...make a difference. We just have to land them with more frequency.

Tevin was Alabama High School Player of the YR (whole State)--he went to Tech and was a 2 star--hmmmm

Tevin was Alabama High School Player of the YR (whole State)--he went to Tech and was a 2 star--hmmmm
where do you see he was player of the year?

i see jamal golden was player of the year and was a 3 star.. so that seems pretty low but he doesnt look to have ever been recruited as a QB

Everything lined up for uga this year. Weak SECE, lots of people staying that could turn pro, got some breaks when they needed them, didn't get Bama in the SECCG.... And they couldn't get it done. If not now, then when is the question they have to answer.

I would say that Georgia is a way ahead of schedule. With what they accomplished on the field with a freshman QB, mediocre WRs, and a bad secondary, it’s pretty impressive. Not to mention they have the #1 recruiting class on top of the #3 class from 2017. They aren’t going anywhere, in fact they are just getting stronger.

Back