What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

CPJ is in luke warm water in my eyes. The honeymoon was great now there is some turbulence in the marriage. Now it is time for CPJ to show everyone why he was/is the best man for the job.

I like him, but needs to turn a corner either in the rivalry, ACC or both.

This is the first year I truly see the building blocks for success in place. I believe we have a future stud QB on the roster. The overall defensive talent is highest it has been with CPJ recruited guys. O-line depth is there. There are many positives for the future.

...this needs to translate into success this year and the next few years. I would give him at least 3 more years and re-evaluate....unless we really skunk it.

I have the feeling that PJ puts more heat on himself than anyone else does, compared to other recent coaches of football and basketball, who seemed to think being middle-of-the-pack was just fine at a school like Tech.

I like him, but needs to turn a corner either in the rivalry, ACC or both.

This is the first year I truly see the building blocks for success in place. I believe we have a future stud QB on the roster. The overall defensive talent is highest it has been with CPJ recruited guys. O-line depth is there. There are many positives for the future.

...this needs to translate into success this year and the next few years. I would give him at least 3 more years and re-evaluate....unless we really skunk it.

3yrs??? Wow you are generous. This is his 5th yr with HIS players. Evaluations are annually now

The winningest coach since Bobby Dodd is on a warm seat?QUOTE]
It's been said as well as any one 3 losses to UGAY, 3 losses to UM, lost evey bowl he's played in, etc could go on but what's the use? Many here are accepting of mediocrity from thi guy, as for me I am now have have been for a while now thinking we got our selves a pig in the poke.

He should win 9 games this year. The schedule is crap. He's got all his players in. He needs to prove that 08 and 09 weren't just him gravy training off of Gailey's one good recruiting class.

This is a swing year. If we get a 7-6/6-7 then his seat will start getting hot.

CPJ is the best thing since Ross who was the best thing since Dodd.

CPJ isn't holding Tech back, Tech is holding CPJ back. He could do a lot better somewhere else - I just hope he doesn't decide to try.

I agree with a lot of what others have said. This is an important year and he needs at least 9 wins and wins against at least one of VT, Miami, UGAg - a win against VT may give them enough momentum to win against Miami.

I like CPJ. I like the offense. I'm beginning to think Groh may show us a top-30 defense this year. Again, this is year 5. CPJ has HIS players in the system. This should be a special year and will be if TW has continued to improve, the OL performs as advertised, at least one of our WRs steps up, and the DL does a better job of getting off the ball and pushing people backwards. That's a lot of ifs, but they are all realistic possibilities.

CPJ isn't holding Tech back, Tech is holding CPJ back. He could do a lot better somewhere else - I just hope he doesn't decide to try.

false. the acc is the perfect conference for this option. it would get murdered in the sec or even big 12,13,14,15,16.

other schools that it would work at. Vt, Miami, FSU,

This season is a pass for me, because the full depth is not in place yet with seniors running the show. Last year, Tech was the second youngest team in the nation; that youth will still be evident this season. Next season, however, I expect to see a quality season, and '14 could possibly see Tech mentioned in the national conversation.

CPJ's last two recruiting classes have been his best. His staff is obviously getting in "recruiting shape" and the '13 class looks to be even better than the previous classes. The improvement curve seems to be headed positive, and I can live with that.

CPJ has the capacity to do more than build a winning team; he will be able to build a winning program, if Tech is patient enough with him. What Tech has lacked since Dodd is a long-tenured coach. The average stay has been 5 years. Compare that to ugag; 4 coaches in the last 48 years, with the current doofus entering his 12th season. Stability matters, so I want to see CPJ stay a long time.

His seat is not even warm; ask me again after the '14 season.

Last edited:
If he could recruit worth a crap, GT would be alright.

The rankings might be similar, but the turnout just isn't there.

If he could recruit worth a crap, GT would be alright.

The rankings might be similar, but the turnout just isn't there.

:rolleyes:

How has his recruiting been any worse than the past 20 years of recruiting? Honestly. And this is the first year we will start to see the quality of his recruits. There are issues, but the coaches' ability to recruit isn't one of them.

How has his recruiting been any worse than the past 20 years of recruiting? Honestly. And this is the first year we will start to see the quality of his recruits. There are issues, but the coaches' ability to recruit isn't one of them.

What are the issues if it isn't the horses?

This IS the year and I'm optimistic. The main thing about CPJ is that he IS NOT chanesque. He may have had some mediocrity recently but he doesn't buy it. He's the kind of coach that will push himself and the whole team to succeed and if he can't get the job done he'll move on. That won't happen win, lose or draw, for a few years but I think he will be successful and accomplish his aims. Heck, he would be sitting on top of the world right now, in spite of the deficiencies, if he'd just had a QB every year that could hit the broad side of a barn with a forward pass.

Chan's recruiting classes never impressed on signing day but when re-evaluated 3-4 years later were impressive. He got talent. The QB position was his undoing.

PJ's recruiting classes seem to be short on talent, at least based on what we've seen on the field last 2 seasons.

Extremely dissapointed by where our QB level and development are in Year 5. Maybe we are on the cusp of getting the QB factory rolling after this year, but it shouldn't take that long to have a more complete QB. That's purely on PJ.

Defense is disappointing of course, but hiring Groh was about as much as you could ask of PJ.

1960 thru 2007 a period of 47 years we had :
13 seven win seasons

3 eight

4 nine

2 ten

1 eleven

CPJ; a 10 win, 9, and 8, and one 1 below .500. Certainly better than the average of past 47 years

How many coaches did we go through? When we found a good one how long did they stay? I think with CPJ we have the ability to build a consistently winning football team that will win bowl games, win conference championships, and be competitive and beat Georgia half the time.

What coach is Georgia Tech going to get that can do better or even have a chance to do better and also stick around. Name them.

The next two to three years are certainly going to be defining years. If we have a defense that steps up it will be a very good future program.

Last edited:
Back