What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

i love that if he wins with chans players then all hail the king. but the losses are discounted because he doesn't have his players yet.

by pulling archive stats to prove that cpj is doing a good job in respect to how bad everyone else did. it just shows that at the present-you accept mediocre because lets face it, 1 quality win a year along with beating a lot of bad ACC teams and losing to UGA, Miami, VT, and your bowl is just flat out mediocre.

The critics never like to think about whether a new coach will be better. They're more interested in firing someone than thinking logically about what's best for the team.

The critics never like to think about whether a new coach will be better. They're more interested in firing someone than thinking logically about what's best for the team.
people think you need a big name coach to win.
EVERY SINGLE coach out there winning today started somewhere and there was a time you had NO CLUE who they were.

you knew who cpj was because he spent time down the road but if he was at Azusa Pacific you'da been like WTF who is this clown.

Still believe this is the right man for a very DIFFICULT job.

I am frustrated with Tevin still being the starting QB, but I am not ready to jump off the PJ ship.

I think Dodd was a superb man and coach, but in his era, a lot of the negative recruiting that gets done today would have been looked at as positive, not negative. (i.e. GT is hard, you have to take calculus,etc.). The prima donnas that coaches have to recruit today are not the same, and their perspective of GT is definitely not the same.

1960 thru 2007 a period of 47 years we had :
13 seven win seasons

3 eight

4 nine

2 ten

1 eleven

CPJ; two 10 wins, one 8, 1 below .500. Certainly better than the average of past 47 years

Number of games played in 1960: 10
Number of games played in 2009: 14

Love the comparison of coaches based on total wins per season.

By the way, when was CPJ's second ten win season?

i love that if he wins with chans players then all hail the king. but the losses are discounted because he doesn't have his players yet.

by pulling archive stats to prove that cpj is doing a good job in respect to how bad everyone else did. it just shows that at the present-you accept mediocre because lets face it, 1 quality win a year along with beating a lot of bad ACC teams and losing to UGA, Miami, VT, and your bowl is just flat out mediocre.

The point was not how good or bad CPJ maybe but that changing coaches is a crap shoot. Takes time to build a good program. Also few big college coaches will want to come to a respected school that doesn't recruit as do the other factories.

What's his approval rating? Job security?
I think he can be a good coach for us, but he isn't getting it done right now. This year and next are pivotal in how he will be viewed overall. As a practical matter, the man is in his fifties and makes over $2 million dollars per year, and could probably command at least that at a handful of schools that will have vacancies in the next three to five years. He holds all the cards. The only way he is going anywhere in the next ten years is by his own choice. And I expect he will retire in five or six years regardless of his success in those seasons. I think he wants to success on a grand scale, but if he wins just 35 more games over the next five years, he's going to be retained, bank $11 or $12 million, and then ride off in a golf cart to a permanent tee time. If he wins 50 to 55 games in the next five years, what else does he have to prove?

How many times did Nick Saban win the Big 10 at Michigan State? How many times did Les Miles win the Big 12 with Oklahoma State? You people have unrealistic expectations.

Number of games played in 1960: 10
Number of games played in 2009: 14

Love the comparison of coaches based on total wins per season.

By the way, when was CPJ's second ten win season?

Took it from GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS
Historical NCAA college football scores since 1945
Copyright © 1995-2012 BusStop Computing. All rights reserved.

There was a typo in marking a win and should have been a L. You are right one nine and one ten win seasons.

Some of you people need to get a clue.

If he had been any more successful than he has been he would have left already.

Since Dodd we have not had one coach that ever stayed more than 2 or 3 years after getting a whiff of success. We even had one that was an alum go to a school that was one of our most hated rivals during the time he was a player.

What's the rush to determine "he's not good enough" so we can go on to the next coach to fire or train for someone else?

He's getting his players in place. Maybe he'll finally have a QB that will be able to fully run the offense. Maybe we'll luck into somebody who can play DT.

I'm not in all that big of a rush to change back to some pro style crap where we know we can't recruit as well as others running it and where we know we'll spend 3 years building up the people needed for it from scratch.

lol-where would he go?

go ahead and compile me a list of schools who want him.
you might be able to throw a few pac schools in there. thats about it.

Some coaches are so bad that you fire them purely on the principle of rejecting that which is substandard. For example, if Gregory doesn't work out, does that mean we should have kept H@@@@@? Is it good for the team to keep a dud just because the next guy might also be a dud?

How many times did Nick Saban win the Big 10 at Michigan State? How many times did Les Miles win the Big 12 with Oklahoma State? You people have unrealistic expectations.

Absolutely correct. Therefore, we should disband the football program and focus on more realistic aspirations, like women's volleyball. I'm sure the bigtime donors will redirect their funds happily.

at least based on what we've seen on the field last 2 seasons.

With one of the youngest teams in the NCAA. Again, year 5. This is where the rubber hits the road. This is when you should start evaluating recruiting classes.

why do we keep giving "young" as an excuse.

we should deduct points for success when they are "old" if we are giving points for "young"

just seems like a giant excuse.

The people who are whining about CPJ are probably the same people that thought Vad should've started in games last year. First, seriously, you guys need to re-adjust your expectations. Second, just because option A isn't meeting your expectations doesn't mean the blind alternative is going to be better by default.

lol-because we did so well with tevin? if vad woulda started what is the worse that could have happened?

not beat uga, not win a bowl game?

What was the big deal about that board CPJ had a few years ago with the goals.

beat uga
win acc
win bowl

cool 1 year we accomplished 2 of the goals, another year 1 goal, other 2 years 0 goals.

Some coaches are so bad that you fire them purely on the principle of rejecting that which is substandard. For example, if Gregory doesn't work out, does that mean we should have kept H@@@@@? Is it good for the team to keep a dud just because the next guy might also be a dud?

CPJ is not what I would call a dud. He has been successful in moving this program forward. When he was hired, what would you have predicted the past 4 season records would be.

why do we keep giving "young" as an excuse.

we should deduct points for success when they are "old" if we are giving points for "young"

just seems like a giant excuse.

In this offense, it's kind of a big deal.

Back