What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

We need to finish top 40 in sagarin this year and next for him to stay. That's minimum. After that it depends on how the two seasons went and how the team is shaping up to be next few years. Some background on sagarin finishes:

Johnson: average 44th
08: 36
09: 12
10: 70
11: 56

Gailey: average 39th
02: 43
03: 33
04: 25
05: 41
06: 32
07: 59

Absolutely correct. Therefore, we should disband the football program and focus on more realistic aspirations, like women's volleyball. I'm sure the bigtime donors will redirect their funds happily.

:rolleyes:

Some of you also need to look at the landscape of college football and temper your expectations on GT. Don't accept "mediocrity" but you also need to look at the monster that the SEC has become, what those PROGRAMS are doing, and evaluate that vs what GT is doing (GT as a whole, not just PJ).

Without a major turn around in our admissions, curriculum, culture etc. we are not going to be a football factory. I know this will set off another ---- storm, but some of you just beat your heads against the wall yelling we need to win, but you aren't looking around.

Fair expectations: Beat uga 1 out of every 3 years, win ACC Coastal 1 out of 5 years, 50/50 bowl wins. I think CPJ can get us there. Of course I want more than that, I want to win the MNC every year. But I also try to evaluate the coach on what is attainable. And yes, PJ fell short the last 2 years, lets see how this year goes before we start lighting the torches.

"Young" is always an excuse, and the mass exodus of talent in 09 hurt us and kept us young. You just have to judge the excuse on its merit, and I think the past 2 years had merit. This year, no.

And do keep in mind that when we eventually switch coaches and go to a pro-set, we are effed for a couple of years.

Absolutely correct. Therefore, we should disband the football program and focus on more realistic aspirations, like women's volleyball. I'm sure the bigtime donors will redirect their funds happily.

Anything that gets GEHJ's old avatar more visibility is a good thing in my book.

We need to finish top 40 in sagarin this year and next for him to stay. That's minimum. After that it depends on how the two seasons went and how the team is shaping up to be next few years. Some background on sagarin finishes:

Ouch... never realized we were behind Gailey's average pace.

Anything that gets GEHJ's old avatar more visibility is a good thing in my book.

With PJ's $2 million/year salary redirected, we could afford the entire Czech women's volleyball team. Yes... most definitely yes.

Ouch... never realized we were behind Gailey's average pace.

We probably wouldn't be if Joshua had never tried to force that throw to Anthony. Won't make any assumptions about what could've been but we were killing VPI until that point.

Some of you also need to look at the landscape of college football and temper your expectations on GT. Don't accept "mediocrity" but you also need to look at the monster that the SEC has become, what those PROGRAMS are doing, and evaluate that vs what GT is doing (GT as a whole, not just PJ).

Without a major turn around in our admissions, curriculum, culture etc. we are not going to be a football factory. I know this will set off another ---- storm, but some of you just beat your heads against the wall yelling we need to win, but you aren't looking around.

Fair expectations: Beat uga 1 out of every 3 years, win ACC Coastal 1 out of 5 years, 50/50 bowl wins. I think CPJ can get us there. Of course I want more than that, I want to win the MNC every year. But I also try to evaluate the coach on what is attainable. And yes, PJ fell short the last 2 years, lets see how this year goes before we start lighting the torches.

"Young" is always an excuse, and the mass exodus of talent in 09 hurt us and kept us young. You just have to judge the excuse on its merit, and I think the past 2 years had merit. This year, no.

And do keep in mind that when we eventually switch coaches and go to a pro-set, we are effed for a couple of years.

No one is asking for GT to become a football factory.... especially in light of the crap that went on Penn St. Nor does anyone want a new head coach right now. What we want is to see is PJ and is teams live up to what they are capable of in the coming seasons. Surely you don't think the last 2 seasons are the best we can do.

I like him, but needs to turn a corner either in the rivalry, ACC or both.

This is the first year I truly see the building blocks for success in place. I believe we have a future stud QB on the roster. The overall defensive talent is highest it has been with CPJ recruited guys. O-line depth is there. There are many positives for the future.

...this needs to translate into success this year and the next few years. I would give him at least 3 more years and re-evaluate....unless we really skunk it.

This. If we can get a NT along the lines of shamire devines quality. Watch out!!

No one is asking for GT to become a football factory.... especially in light of the crap that went on Penn St. Nor does anyone want a new head coach right now. What we want is to see is PJ and is teams live up to what they are capable of in the coming seasons. Surely you don't think the last 2 seasons are the best we can do.

No, I agree and I think I said as much in my post.

We probably wouldn't be if Joshua had never tried to force that throw to Anthony. Won't make any assumptions about what could've been but we were killing VPI until that point.

Apways will be what ifs. Just have to accept history as it is. Which make the next 2 seasons the chance to prove these are outliers or a trend.

CPJ is only a few pieces away from turning Tech into a national program. Otoh, how many pieces would have to be replaced and refilled if there was a coaching change, and if the whole ship was overhauled?

Within 3 seasons, Tech can be in the national picture with CPJ; with someone else, it will be another 7-year rebuilding process, with Tech fans growing impatient in year 5, only to fire him also, so that we can start it all over again.

Not interested.

Last edited:
yes indeed you have one I have one but the problems with your's is it's up around your nose and all you smell is crap!

KNOX is right he's needs to prove with his recruits he can win and win big!

You, old foggy, can GFY. I wasn't calling you out.

Interesting numbers, higher highs and lower lows under Johnson. I also didn't feel like Gailey's last year was worse than a few of his early years. 04 felt like a shtt sandwich year, but I guess the bowl wins go a long way

1960 thru 2007 a period of 47 years we had :
13 seven win seasons

3 eight

4 nine

2 ten

1 eleven

CPJ; a 10 win, 9, and 8, and one 1 below .500. Certainly better than the average of past 47 years

How many coaches did we go through? When we found a good one how long did they stay? I think with CPJ we have the ability to build a consistently winning football team that will win bowl games, win conference championships, and be competitive and beat Georgia half the time.

What coach is Georgia Tech going to get that can do better or even have a chance to do better and also stick around. Name them.

The next two to three years are certainly going to be defining years. If we have a defense that steps up it will be a very good future program.

You need to look at PERCENTAGES not total wins.When we went to 11,12,13 game season that stats changed a lot.

Since CPJ has been our coach, I've enjoyed watching GT football so much more than when Chan was our coach. CPJ always seems as frustrated and dissatisfied with poor performance as I've been. I think he's convinced that he can win a MNC here, and his history shows that he knows how to win. He brought in Groh to correct problems with D. He's brought in a new strenght and conditioning coach and a new special teams coordinator to deal with those issues. I won't give up on CPJ until I get the impression that he's given up winning it all with GT.

I did feel that Chan and Paul Hewitt had got to that point about three years before we invited them to take their buy-outs.

Back