What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

ive heard a few posts saying that tech is holding cpj back and he could do better somewhere else.

still waiting for someone to name any places that realistically would go for him?

i can think of like maybe an arizona, az state, or ucla type school-however none of them are really improvements.

i think that argument is one of those, "my girlfriend is so HOT, i'm the luckiest guy in the world because she can be with anyone and she picked me", then you break up and you realize she is just pretty.

ive heard a few posts saying that tech is holding cpj back and he could do better somewhere else.

still waiting for someone to name any places that realistically would go for him?

i can think of like maybe an arizona, az state, or ucla type school-however none of them are really improvements.

i think that argument is one of those, "my girlfriend is so HOT, i'm the luckiest guy in the world because she can be with anyone and she picked me", then you break up and you realize she is just pretty.
Question for you, how do you think Saben or Meyer would do at GT?

I think he could make a lateral move in terms of football prestige to a school such as you suggested. However, none of those schools have the academic limitations that Tech has, so it could be argued that he would be able to have more success at one of those schools.

If he had great success (two or three conference titles in a row) there I think a bigger school would be willing to take a chance on him.

honestly? just by the name they would get in amazing recruits. if you don't think they would then you're being a fool.

now how would they have done 6 or 7 years ago? no telling.

question for you. stop deflecting the question. you're the one who said other schools would love to have him? what schools?

you've seen these kids quoted in the ajc and youtube pressers. you've heard them on the radio. its no secret that it's easier to get in as a football player. in fact tell me how many per year aren't eligible for entrance? I understand its a hard school to keep everyone eligible but as far as entry goes you lost that argument once you let iman shumpert start posting status updates.

i also think he can have similar success. but he would be less likely to win a pac title over usc and oregon than an acc title here at tech.

I'm thinking he best beat UGA and win a bowl game or his arse will be on the hot seat. He started fast but has not built on his initial success. Time to crap or get off the pot.

Go Jackets!

if this is true then thats a real shame.

when you go 1-3 vs. your archenemy
0-4 in bowl games
1-3 vs. Miami

I like the offense. I like CPJ for the most part. However, I think his seat it getting a little warm.
I agree. Post count plus 1.

Since CPJ has been our coach, I've enjoyed watching GT football so much more than when Chan was our coach. CPJ always seems as frustrated and dissatisfied with poor performance as I've been. I think he's convinced that he can win a MNC here, and his history shows that he knows how to win. He brought in Groh to correct problems with D. He's brought in a new strenght and conditioning coach and a new special teams coordinator to deal with those issues. I won't give up on CPJ until I get the impression that he's given up winning it all with GT.

I did feel that Chan and Paul Hewitt had got to that point about three years before we invited them to take their buy-outs.

+1

The next three years will really give us a full picture on Coach Johnson.

So long as he doesn't miss a bowl game, he'll be here the next three years. How we do in those years will have a lot to do with how he's viewed.

But absent missing a bowl, he's here for a minimum of three years.

I think we will win another ACC title in the next three years.

Some of you people need to get a clue.

If he had been any more successful than he has been he would have left already.

Since Dodd we have not had one coach that ever stayed more than 2 or 3 years after getting a whiff of success. We even had one that was an alum go to a school that was one of our most hated rivals during the time he was a player.

What's the rush to determine "he's not good enough" so we can go on to the next coach to fire or train for someone else?

He's getting his players in place. Maybe he'll finally have a QB that will be able to fully run the offense. Maybe we'll luck into somebody who can play DT.

I'm not in all that big of a rush to change back to some pro style crap where we know we can't recruit as well as others running it and where we know we'll spend 3 years building up the people needed for it from scratch.
I quite agree. . . .some of you people need to get a clue. About football, and specifically football at Georgia Tech.

We will know if he can coach by December. This is a tough schedule and we don't have a lot of premier talent (again). I want to win ten games every year. I will be flabbergasted if we win 8 this fall. "All we need, all we need. . . . " I've been hearing that--and saying it myself---for forty some odd years.

tough schedule?

thats a first.

there are 7 games in which you SHOULD NOT LOSE.
Presby
UVA
Duke
Midd Tenn
Maryland
BYU
BC

You're right, but the logic of 'we can't get anyone as good' kept Gailey one or two years too long. It would seem that mediocrity is just our lot in life, then. Them there is a whole lot of years with not many gems. For instance, VPI has won 10 games for seven STRAIGHT YEARS.

8 straight years. but it helps that CPJ has given them 3 of those wins.

Beamer started slow there but he basically BUILT that program from the floor. He has had only 1 year where they went bust-o. Other than that 1 year they haven't lost more than 2 games. They also beat their rivals and win some of their bowls.

We are good enough to win 10 games this year. A good season with this schedule is minimum 9. 8 is treading water.

They would quit in three years, because they would not be able to get the studs they are used to getting.

Saban has only been "Sabanesque" at LSU and Bama. (Remember the Dolphins?) Meyer couldn't win a national championship at Utah; he needed the studs that Ron Zook left for him at UF.

It is similar to Phil Jackson coaching the Jordan/Pippen Bulls and then the Kobe/Shaq Lakers. He would not be "Phil Jackson" if he had coached Hawks or the T'wolves, because would not have had the players to win.

The question is what would Saban do with CPJ's team versus what would CPJ do with Saban's team? My guess is that CPJ would score more than 6 points against LSU, but Saban would win 6 games/season.

honestly? just by the name they would get in amazing recruits. if you don't think they would then you're being a fool.

now how would they have done 6 or 7 years ago? no telling.

question for you. stop deflecting the question. you're the one who said other schools would love to have him? what schools?

I'm pretty sure Arkansas would've been interested this past year.

And most of the amazing recruits those guys could attract wouldn't survive the academic environment. What use is it to get them in if they can only last a year at most. It would be stupid. They would fare no better if they were at Vandy and recruiting SEC.

To act like academics is not the main limiting factor is just plain ignorant.

You're right, but the logic of 'we can't get anyone as good' kept Gailey one or two years too long. It would seem that mediocrity is just our lot in life, then. Them there is a whole lot of years with not many gems. For instance, VPI has won 10 games for seven STRAIGHT YEARS.

Yeah, but Beamer didn't have more than 8 (of 11) regular season wins until his 9th year at VPI. He was 17-26-1 after his first four years at VPI (no bowls) and 41-47-2 after his first 8 years (incl bowls).

CPJ is 43-22 after his first 4years at Tech.

Back