When did you first know you were a Tech fan?

When I was a kid and my Dad brought home program's from the games. Going to my first game sealed it.

When this retard older kid on the bus picked on me...He was a ga fan. He wore the same nasty uga tshirt nearly everday. He never went to uga...hell he never finished high school.

My senior year of high school when I decided that I was coming to GT. I started watching GT football games that fall ('98) and couldn't wait to get here.

I grew up in Knoxville as a UT fan and have always hated ugag. THWG!!!

When I was a freshman at Texas Tech and my high school sweetheart sent a GT sweatshirt to me...I've remained a loyal fan.

I grew up a Cane fan down here in Miami so my natural conversion point came when I got into Tech. It began the day the movie "Gladiator" (with Russel Crowe) came out, I remember going to see it at noon and coming back home to find I was accepted to GT. That year I gradually fall in love with the team as their season progressed (remember the Joe Burns heartbreaker @ home vs Maryland) and it all culminated vs Ugag when Godsey was going over the middle to Kerry Watkins all afternoon, after that it's been ingrained in me.

First awareness of Tech was watching Roger Kaiser light up KY back in 1960. Became especially excited about Jackets football watching Billy Lothridge/Billy Martin and that great crew. The images of swarming Yellow Jackets, Bobby Dodd, the Ramblin Reck, and Atlanta got me going as a fan. When my company moved to ATL in 1977, I started going to games regularly and nearly 25 years after leaving ATL, I live and die with the Jackets more than ever.

The very millisecond I stepped into Grant Field on 10-14-1961.

Later that year, Chick Graning was assaulted at Legion Field in bham.

That next Monday at recess, a bama fan sixth grader (1 year older than I mind you :D) named steve norman got the **** beat out of him by me.

The only time in my years of education that I had to go "see the Man."

Until that time with Dean Dull.

But that is another story for another time.

Grew up loyal to Dad's alma mater - the Auburn Tigers! But, even as a kid I could tell there was something special about Georgia Tech. As an Atlanta high school coach Dad got lots of tickets to Tech games. Coaches and families sat on bleachers on top of the press box before upper west stands were built. I saw Paul Dietzel and LSU take on Dodd from up there on a rainy day when I was only four. The next New Year's Eve was spent watching Roger Kaiser take on Tulane at Alexander. When Dad's teams made the state tourney and I got to be on the bench at Alexander, I thought I was in heaven.

Spent many a night listening in bed to Al call games - "they're throwing in the range finders", "a lot of iron, but good", "the bunny by Craddock is up and in", and "brothers and sisters, we've got a thriller brewing".

In the fall of '72 I received early acceptance and the promise of an academic scholarship. I knew then I would be at Tech. By the Liberty Bowl win led by Jim Stevens over Iowa State that fall the switch from Auburn to Tech allegiance was complete. Been a Tech man ever since!

Grew up loyal to Dad's alma mater - the Auburn Tigers! But, even as a kid I could tell there was something special about Georgia Tech. As an Atlanta high school coach Dad got lots of tickets to Tech games. Coaches and families sat on bleachers on top of the press box before upper west stands were built. I saw Paul Dietzel and LSU take on Dodd from up there on a rainy day when I was only four. The next New Year's Eve was spent watching Roger Kaiser take on Tulane at Alexander. When Dad's teams made the state tourney and I got to be on the bench at Alexander, I thought I was in heaven.

Spent many a night listening in bed to Al call games - "they're throwing in the range finders", "a lot of iron, but good", "the bunny by Craddock is up and in", and "brothers and sisters, we've got a thriller brewing".

In the fall of '72 I received early acceptance and the promise of an academic scholarship. I knew then I would be at Tech. By the Liberty Bowl win led by Jim Stevens over Iowa State that fall the switch from Auburn to Tech allegiance was complete. Been a Tech man ever since!

If I may ask, where did your Dad coach?

Roosevelt, '53-'60, then Dykes, '60-'67, then went into administration.

Sitting in the student section '99 game vs. UGA as a Junior in high school.

I've been a fan of CPJ since he was at GS. Became hardcore fan and bought season tickets when CPJ was hired at GT. Favorite coach getting hired by favorite team is a dream come true.

Early 60s, the two Billy's from Gainesville. First game I remember on TV was a loss to Missouri in the Bluebonnet Bowl. First game in person was 1968 vs TCU.

Channel 2 used to show highlights every Saturday night and that was my first exposure along with the large sequential pictures in the Sunday AJC where they would put little text boxes in the photos identifying the key players.

My Mom was a teacher and she always loved Tech because it was a great football tradition and a great school.

11/26/88
I grew up a huge Dawg fan but came to Tech for the academics. I was on the fence my first year ('88) because we were really bad and old habits die hard, I suppose. I would go back over to Athens and go to games as well as go to games at Grant Field.
All of that came to an end when I was walking out of the Toilet Bowl after they kicked our butts in '88. There were some Tech fans behind me walking out of the stadium wearing gold (I was not) and some drunken UGa fans were throwing their liquor drinks on the Tech fans and screaming obscenities. Others were trying to start fights.
It really opened my eyes as to how many truly classless, arrogant individuals are UGa fans. It was as if a light switch flipped on for me. Oh yeah, I wear lots of gold in Athens when we play there now.
To Hell With Georgia, each and every day. Go Jackets!

It was the early to mid 70s while UGAg was making their early runs and GT was on the downslide. The muttfans were obnoxious then and only got worse as time went on.

While GT has its share of obnoxious fans, they number insignificant to the UGAg fans. If UGAg had some decent fans, I might have rooted for them.

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

1997, GT vs. Clemson, Thursday night game, student section.

The Joe Hamilton/Dez White/Harvey Middleton/Keith Brooking/George O'Leary/Ralph Friedgen era was damn fine time to become a Tech fan :biggthumpup:

Started out a ugay fan when i was new to this country then i was watching a show i think it was on espn they were talking bout how calvin Johnson beasted it up, and at that point in time i switched allegiances i was just looking for a home team and ever since then been a fan and da best decision have made of my young life.

1944----First sports team I ever cheered for. My g'parents next door neighbor was an AA lineman at Tech. They lived just a few blocks from the campus. I thought EVERYONE was a Tech fan. Born a fan, will die a fan.

Sometime in the early '50s. Tech was kicking nearly everybody's ass, we owned UGA, Bobby Dodd was canonized, and all UGA had was Wally Butts and one other ugly dog.

I think it was around the year 1951 when I listened to a Tech basketball game on the radio. We had no TV at that time and I think all of the Tech sports was on WGST radio. The first game I listened to, I thought Georgia Tech was a person and not the team.

Glad to see someone besides me dating himself! For me, it was in 1960, when my dad took me to the Tech-Tennessee game at Grant Field. We sat in the North end zone, and when Billy Williamson returned a kickoff 93 yards for a TD, and I was hooked.

But if that one hadn't done it for me, the 1962 game would have, when I sat in the South end zone and saw Tech beat Alabama and Joe Namath 7-6.

Glad to see someone besides me dating himself! For me, it was in 1960, when my dad took me to the Tech-Tennessee game at Grant Field. We sat in the North end zone, and when Billy Williamson returned a kickoff 93 yards for a TD, and I was hooked.

IIRC, this was the game where all the scoring was in the first quarter and Tech won 14-7. Yes??

Back