When did you first know you were a Tech fan?

September 19, 1964: GT 14 - Vanderbilt 2.

My dad brought me to the game. I was six years old. I've been a fan ever since.

Screwed around in high school and didn't have the grades to get in. I'm 8 months shy of getting my MBA. Then I'll finally be a Tech Man.

Channel 2 used to show highlights every Saturday night and that was my first exposure along with the large sequential pictures in the Sunday AJC where they would put little text boxes in the photos identifying the key players.

Were any of you around in the early '50s and recall when WSB-TV had a sports discussion show on Sunday...Furman Bisher, Jim Minter, Jesse Outlar, Harry Mehre, et al, would discuss the previous Saturday games for an hour? It was usually followed by the hour-long Bobby Dodd show.

I couldn't wait to get home after church to turn on the TV and watch these shows. The sports discussion show gave Tech a whole lot of time, discussion and praise. Many UGA fans hated the show because their own grads praised Tech football so much and UGA football so little. Most of those guys on the show liked and respected Dodd. They weren't all that high on Butts. Dodd usually received top billing in the sports pages.

Were any of you around in the early '50s and recall when WSB-TV had a sports discussion show on Sunday...Furman Bisher, Jim Minter, Jesse Outlar, Harry Mehre, et al, would discuss the previous Saturday games for an hour? It was usually followed by the hour-long Bobby Dodd show.

I couldn't wait to get home after church to turn on the TV and watch these shows. The sports discussion show gave Tech a whole lot of time, discussion and praise. Many UGA fans hated the show because their own grads praised Tech football so much and UGA football so little. Most of those guys on the show liked and respected Dodd. They weren't all that high on Butts. Dodd usually received top billing in the sports pages.

I remember those shows. And the sequential still photos of big plays in the AJC.

That was a great show - The Sunday Football Review. It stayed on through mid-sixties. Five Journal or Constitution reporters who had been sent to cover games each gave their reports from the game they had covered - always Tech and Georgia, then three other big games in the South. At the end they picked the next week's games. In the pre-cable era, this was a great for a sports fan.

I never mised a show---always felt like Bisher was pro Tech and Mehre was pro Dawg. Ed Danforth (another old journalist) also was on the earlier shows.

Probably around 8 years old or so? My grandfather was a Tech fan and bought me hats and sweatshirts and stuff. He didn't go to Tech or anything... I think he probably became a fan during the glory years in the 50's.

Plus I thought the Bulldog was an ugly mascot and preferred the Yellow Jacket. The 1990 national championship certainly didn't hurt either.

Probably around 8 years old or so? My grandfather was a Tech fan and bought me hats and sweatshirts and stuff. He didn't go to Tech or anything... I think he probably became a fan during the glory years in the 50's.

Plus I thought the Bulldog was an ugly mascot and preferred the Yellow Jacket. The 1990 national championship certainly didn't hurt either.

:wow: Is melvoin actually a Tech fan?

I don't want to doubt someone's GT fandom, but melvoin seems to play devil's advocate a little too often.

Those of you who grew up with me in the 80's will remember the Panama Jack shirts. Well, do you remember the ugly a** Bulldog Jack shirts that copied the aforementioned shirts. Pitifull. Big turnoff and the fact that I had a huge interest in Mechanical Engineering. No brainer.

1997, GT vs. Clemson, Thursday night game, student section.

The Joe Hamilton/Dez White/Harvey Middleton/Keith Brooking/George O'Leary/Ralph Friedgen era was damn fine time to become a Tech fan :biggthumpup:

Same game for me but you have one critical detail incorrect. That was a Saturday game, first home game my freshman year. End of rush week. Chambers kicked the game winner in the final minute, went straight to a band party and then I think I blacked out for 3 days.

Back