Whisenhunt and fan interest.

In the interview it must be asked about the most terrifying part of his resume, the 3-20 stint with the nfl titans. In a league where the talent is much more evenly distributed than the college game, it is almost impossible to have a ledger that bad...
He wrecked my Titans and I don’t want him to wreck Tech as well.

The man made Mike Mularkey look like a good coach.

The time to hire Whiz was 11 years ago when he was on the up swing. Now he is on the back nine. Sure, he should be included in the search but more as the guy after you've been rejected at least by 3 others.

Woh is that right. NFL OC's make like 6 mill a year? Thats HC numbers...are you sure about that. That seems way way off to me

most nfl coord around 1 mil not 6 mil

I can't find current numbers. 5,7 million was what he made as Cardinals Head Coach, so yeah, that is way off.

I don't think Whiz is a good choice because he has no college experience and no recruiting experience or contacts.

Still, there's people available to hire that can do that for him, so if he's the man, so be it and we'll find out soon enough.
This is somewhat true, but Gailey ran circles around CPJ in recruiting, so that takes some of the power of this statement.

I'm not necessarily against Whisenhunt as our coach, it's just not an exciting hire to me. I want someone youthful and energetic, in touch with high-school age group, established recruiting ties, etc. All that said, I have recently thought about this also: Our new HC has to assemble his staff of assistants. How well known and how far does the reach go for someone like Elliott or Key? I don't know the answer to this, but I would have to imagine that Ken would be the most capable to surround himself with the best staff possible. Would Elliott or Key be another HC/OC? If not, are they capable of hiring (a good) one? Same question goes for Ken, but if he doesn't take the offense in his hands, I feel more confident in him finding a coordinator.

Why does gaileys recruiting have to be disputed so much? He had 2 really good classes, but couldn't recruit consistently and struggled getting a qb.

The required recruiting jump we need to run offenses like pro or spread is pretty significant, so if the guy can't recruit, it won't work. My concern is that there seems to be an assumption that the primary hurdle to us pulling top25 classes is the option offense.

And we might. Just because he's getting interviewed today doesn't mean he got the job.

The point is what sort of dumbass would start a Georgia Tech coaching searching with a Todd Haley, a Norv Turner, or a Ken Whisenhunt?

If KW didn't play for Tech, who in their right mind would pick him out of a crowd as someone who would advance Tech football right now?

I would like to know more about why Whisenhunt is a bad hire. Try not to use "Gailey 2.0" and "NFL success doesnt always translate well to college." in your analysis and convince me why Whisenhunt sucks.
I don't even know how to spell his name apparently. Is it Whisenhunt or Wisenhunt? Can we just call him Coach W?
It’s Whisenhunt. One of my main issues with him is he doesn’t have experience recruiting for college. If he is hired, I hope he addresses what he will do to bring 4 and 5 star players to GT, because I think that’s what we will need to be successful with a “nfl offense.”

Why does gaileys recruiting have to be disputed so much? He had 2 really good classes, but couldn't recruit consistently and struggled getting a qb.

The required recruiting jump we need to run offenses like pro or spread is pretty significant, so if the guy can't recruit, it won't work. My concern is that there seems to be an assumption that the primary hurdle to us pulling top25 classes is the option offense.
. . . .. . struggled getting a quarterback when that was the key component. . . . .

The point is what sort of dumbass would start a Georgia Tech coaching searching with a Todd Haley, a Norv Turner, or a Ken Whisenhunt?

If KW didn't play for Tech, who in their right mind would pick him out of a crowd as someone who would advance Tech football right now?
Apparently our resident dumbass! :lol2: I guess we should let the process play out. We might be surprised.

This is somewhat true, but Gailey ran circles around CPJ in recruiting, so that takes some of the power of this statement.
Ugh, not this again. Outside of 2007, Gailey's recruiting was right on par with CPJ's. In fact, Johnson's classes were ranked higher, on average, than Gailey's. It's not like you can just plug and play any old coach and expect better recruiting than Johnson. His recruiting was very average, as was Gailey's outside ONE season that was the exception and not the norm.

Ever since Flunkgate and the beginning of the APR era almost 20 years ago that changed the recruiting landscape, we've had exactly one season that most of us would consider a "very good" recruiting class. Pretty much everything else has been within 1 or 2 standard deviations of a very average mean.

It’s Whisenhunt. One of my main issues with him is he doesn’t have experience recruiting for college. If he is hired, I hope he addresses what he will do to bring 4 and 5 star players to GT, because I think that’s what we will need to be successful with a “nfl offense.”

I feel like CCG's biggest hurdle was the lack of college experience. It seemed to be a big learning curve for him that took too long.

He wrecked my Titans and I don’t want him to wreck Tech as well.

The man made Mike Mularkey look like a good coach.
Is "an interview" the best way to make these multi-million dollar decisions? What about Zip-Recruiter?

Back