Whisenhunt and fan interest.

Did some say wizzard cunt?
areyouawizzard.jpg

Ugh, not this again. Outside of 2007, Gailey's recruiting was right on par with CPJ's. In fact, Johnson's classes were ranked higher, on average, than Gailey's. It's not like you can just plug and play any old coach and expect better recruiting than Johnson. His recruiting was very average, as was Gailey's outside ONE season that was the exception and not the norm.

Ever since Flunkgate and the beginning of the APR era almost 20 years ago that changed the recruiting landscape, we've had exactly one season that most of us would consider a "very good" recruiting class. Pretty much everything else has been within 1 or 2 standard deviations of a very average mean.
The biggest gripe on Gailey was he under recruited the OL. Perhaps he just couldn't make inroads there and just didn't want to take players that would just not play. He also could not recruit a next level QB. Threet may have been that next level QB, but scrammed out of here to be at Michigan when Mallet left there. We got pretty good defensive players and some excellent skill offensive players outside of QB

My biggest gripe about Gailey is that he treated the Georgia game like an out-of-conference NFL game. He said as much in an alumni gathering.

We won't have that problem if KW is hired.

Everyone who is an ardent Whisenhunt supporter has excuses for all of his NFL failures that usually revolve around not having a hall of fame quarterback at his disposal. Look at it this way: Whisenhunt is in his mid-50s. If he's as good as everyone claims, why isn't he the winning head coach somewhere already? Why is he looking to make a step down into college which is a completely different animal than the pros? His trajectory is starting to look a lot like Al Groh's sunset.

Yep. If he needs a HOF QB (or, All-America QB for college) then he's not going to get it at Tech. I guess he could, but he would have to be able to prove that he was one of the top recruiters in the country.

We are in dire need of a shot of energy here as well - someone that gets involved in the community and wants to do the work to bring Atlanta into our stadium. I'm not sure that he brings that energy.

The biggest gripe on Gailey was he under recruited the OL. Perhaps he just couldn't make inroads there and just didn't want to take players that would just not play. He also could not recruit a next level QB. Threet may have been that next level QB, but scrammed out of here to be at Michigan when Mallet left there. We got pretty good defensive players and some excellent skill offensive players outside of QB
I'm not sure I agree with that. How many good receivers did Gailey recruit outside of Calvin Johnson? PJ Daniels and Tashard Choice played RB for 5 of Gailey's 6 years - one was a walkon and the other a transfer. Tony Hollings played in 2002, but Gailey didn't even recruit him. Gailey's QB recruiting and development was awful, and for whatever reason he couldn't sign OLs to save his life.

I will agree that we managed to find a BUNCH of diamond-in-the-rough type players on defense. Our DL recruiting hasn't even been close to what it was during Gailey's time. But he still wasn't stealing players from the big boys.

Ugh, not this again. Outside of 2007, Gailey's recruiting was right on par with CPJ's. In fact, Johnson's classes were ranked higher, on average, than Gailey's. It's not like you can just plug and play any old coach and expect better recruiting than Johnson. His recruiting was very average, as was Gailey's outside ONE season that was the exception and not the norm.

Ever since Flunkgate and the beginning of the APR era almost 20 years ago that changed the recruiting landscape, we've had exactly one season that most of us would consider a "very good" recruiting class. Pretty much everything else has been within 1 or 2 standard deviations of a very average mean.

Your delusional if you think recruiting was comparable for both coaches. Paul took over a team in 2008 with ~13 uture nfl players on it, and most of those guys weren’t from the 07 class. And more than half were picked in the first few rounds. The new guy will inherit a roster with 2-3 similarly talented guys - would be surprised if any are taken in the first 100 picks.

Paul was a much better in game coach and playcaller, but the rosters gaileys teams were fielding in 06 07 and 08 had some incredible athletes.

Renfree was his guy and Gailey got fired before he could get here and renfree ended up at Duke.

I'm not sure I agree with that. How many good receivers did Gailey recruit outside of Calvin Johnson? PJ Daniels and Tashard Choice played RB for 5 of Gailey's 6 years - one was a walkon and the other a transfer. Tony Hollings played in 2002, but Gailey didn't even recruit him. Gailey's QB recruiting and development was awful, and for whatever reason he couldn't sign OLs to save his life.

I will agree that we managed to find a BUNCH of diamond-in-the-rough type players on defense. Our DL recruiting hasn't even been close to what it was during Gailey's time. But he still wasn't stealing players from the big boys.

How soon we forget about Demaryius Thomas.

nah

Gailey did pull together one really good class. I'll give him that.
Oh the selective memories. Besides that 07 class, he brought in other players like Michael Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and Andrew Gardner.

Oh the selective memories. Besides that 07 class, he brought in other players like Michael Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and Andrew Gardner.

I remember all of those guys, and I remember that PJ brought in Gotsis, Shaq, and Justin Thomas.

You're the one with selective memory. Gailey didn't "run circles" around anyone in anything.

How many good receivers did Gailey recruit outside of Calvin Johnson?
Some guy named Demaryius Thomas was pretty good.

PJ Daniels and Tashard Choice played RB for 5 of Gailey's 6 years - one was a walkon and the other a transfer. Tony Hollings played in 2002, but Gailey didn't even recruit him.
Ever hear of a guy named Jonathan Dwyer, who was recruited by Gailey.

Gailey's QB recruiting and development was awful, and for whatever reason he couldn't sign OLs to save his life.
Sean Renfree was committed to Tech when Gailey was hired. Johnson agreed with him that he wasn't a good fit for his system and Renfree chose Duke instead.

he couldn't sign OLs to save his life.
Andrew Gardner signed with Calvin and played several years in the pros but I agree he was the outlier. Gailey didn't seem to have a lot of successful OL recruits. But that matches the # of OL from Johnson who have gone pro unless I'm missing someone other than Shaq Mason.

I remember all of those guys, and I remember that PJ brought in Gotsis, Shaq, and Justin Thomas. Gailey didn't "run circles" around anyone in anything.
Hey you won't find me defending Gailey's coaching at Tech. He was way too NFL/conservative playcalling minded and sucked as a HC at Tech.
But if you can't look at the # of players from Gailey's tenure who went to the NFL (a few still there) versus the ones from Johnson and conclude there was a difference in talent level, someone else needs to change their screen name to include the word 'blind' in it.

I think it’s safe to say Gailey wasn’t competitively recruiting with our neighbors (uga clem fsu aub etc).

Hey you won't find me defending Gailey's coaching at Tech. He was way too NFL/conservative playcalling minded and sucked as a HC at Tech.
But if you can't look at the # of players from Gailey's tenure who went to the NFL (a few still there) versus the ones from Johnson and conclude there was a difference in talent level, someone else needs to change their screen name to include the word 'blind' in it.

how old are you? most normal people learn fairly early on to just say "ah, yeah, I stand corrected"

Compare the best 22 recruited by Gailey and Johnson. It's not even close.

Let's hope we find a guy that can recruit and develop talent better than both!

Back