Whisenhunt and fan interest.

Revisionist history. For a pro set offense coach, Gailey sucked at recruiting.

He didn't recruit well for the offense, but defensive recruiting was pretty good, and recruiting picked up on both sides of the ball his last couple years.

I feel like the CPJ vs. Gailey recruiting debates have been going on ad nauseam for years, but the bottom line is that if we're going to improve as a program, we're going to need someone who can coach better than Gailey and recruit better than Johnson. If CPJ could've capitalized on the success of 2008 and 2009 by keeping up the recruiting from the end of Gailey's tenure (not just the '07 class) we'd be an annually ranked team.

Gailey's recruiting is one of the main reasons Tech hired CPJ. Gailey's last year recruiting was amazing but it was an outlier. He would get one or two great recruits each year that CPJ couldn't get. It was not like he was that much better.

Look at the roster and tell me who on those teams was a star. No one was winning in that situation. Same with the end of his Arizona run. No NFL coach can win when a GM saddles him with Kevin Kolb, Skelton and Charlie Whitehurst at QB.
I agree. Often teams are defined by their GM.

He didn't recruit well for the offense, but defensive recruiting was pretty good, and recruiting picked up on both sides of the ball his last couple years.

I feel like the CPJ vs. Gailey recruiting debates have been going on ad nauseam for years, but the bottom line is that if we're going to improve as a program, we're going to need someone who can coach better than Gailey and recruit better than Johnson. If CPJ could've capitalized on the success of 2008 and 2009 by keeping up the recruiting from the end of Gailey's tenure (not just the '07 class) we'd be an annually ranked team.
Gailey simply never brought in a qb.

Some guy named Demaryius Thomas was pretty good.

Ever hear of a guy named Jonathan Dwyer, who was recruited by Gailey.

Sean Renfree was committed to Tech when Gailey was hired. Johnson agreed with him that he wasn't a good fit for his system and Renfree chose Duke instead.

Andrew Gardner signed with Calvin and played several years in the pros but I agree he was the outlier. Gailey didn't seem to have a lot of successful OL recruits. But that matches the # of OL from Johnson who have gone pro unless I'm missing someone other than Shaq Mason.

Some guy named Demaryius Thomas was pretty good.

Ever hear of a guy named Jonathan Dwyer, who was recruited by Gailey.

Sean Renfree was committed to Tech when Gailey was hired. Johnson agreed with him that he wasn't a good fit for his system and Renfree chose Duke instead.

Andrew Gardner signed with Calvin and played several years in the pros but I agree he was the outlier. Gailey didn't seem to have a lot of successful OL recruits. But that matches the # of OL from Johnson who have gone pro unless I'm missing someone other than Shaq Mason.

Cord Howard and Mansfield Wrotto

Renfree was his guy and Gailey got fired before he could get here and renfree ended up at Duke.
I had forgotten about Renfree. I had hope as a FOCcer with Renfree coming in. Unlike today, where I am beloved on this board, members of the board had issues with me wanting to keep Chan.

Maybe this didn’t need a thread but I’m too interested. In the AJC there is an article about Whisenhunt interviewing today.

Interesting: the AJC notes that there has been an uproar among tech fans by their disapproval. I’m just curious how we really know what the majority of the fan base thinks. What is relieving is that now Todd must know about the disapproval which begs the question what does an AD do when he knows the will of the fans?

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/

I trust Todd personally. We will see

The "uproar" is from the AJC reading Stingtalk for five minutes.

The truth is that Wisenhunt is probably the best possible hire we can land. The friction comes from GT fans having a higher opinion of our program than the outside world does.

Last edited:

The truth is that Wisenhunt is probably the best possible hire we can land. The friction comes from GT fans having a higher opinion of our program than the outside world does.

The truth hurts :eekfacepalm:

Disagree on multiple levels.

1. Multiple sources have indicated a good deal of interest in GT job, consider it the best opening this year

2. KW is “the best possible hire?” - he is a career 40% win percentage, was fired from TN after going 3-20, and has never coached in college (ina meaningful role)

And to hire the first / only guy you interview, an old teammate, Curry disciple, and clear frontrunner from the second CPJ retires who has no true merit other than “he’s a GT man” is a terrible look and wreaks of biased favoritism.

By all accounts TS is a good Tech Man and a fine person, but I'm starting to think he might be in over his head as our AD. I'm still hoping to get an announcement about a solid HC hire, but I was expecting a good bowl announcement as well. Maybe he is doing things behind the scenes to get something in return for the bowl debacle, or at least making the ACC office acknowledge the disgrace of it. If he just accepts it with, "Thank you sir, may I have another?", and then makes a milquetoast hire in an attempt to not make anyone angry, we could be headed for a time in the wilderness for Tech football.

Multiple sources have indicated a good deal of interest in GT job, consider it the best opening this year

Until Ohio State jumps in.

We could interview five guys and probably not land one with a better resume than Wisenhunt. And that's not saying Wisenhunt's resume is great.

By all accounts TS is a good Tech Man and a fine person, but I'm starting to think he might be in over his head as our AD.

We don't know this one way or another yet. The proof will be in the pudding.

The friction comes from GT fans having a higher opinion of our program than the outside world does.

this is the football version of "2/10 WNB"

We are a great school with a great program. We have challenges, every school does. The vast majority of the ACC would switch places with us if they could. We aren't a 10/10. We are above solod 7.

A coordinator and a coach from Temple are higher opinions of our program than reality? We must really suck

A coordinator and a coach from Temple are higher opinions of our program than reality? We must really suck

Monken, Collins, and Elliot are all better hires for the college game than KW. Especially given the fact that our AD doesn’t have extensive contacts in the SE. I am certain that Elliot has been in more Georgia high schools than TS and KW combined.

Your delusional if you think recruiting was comparable for both coaches. Paul took over a team in 2008 with ~13 uture nfl players on it, and most of those guys weren’t from the 07 class. And more than half were picked in the first few rounds. The new guy will inherit a roster with 2-3 similarly talented guys - would be surprised if any are taken in the first 100 picks.

Paul was a much better in game coach and playcaller, but the rosters gaileys teams were fielding in 06 07 and 08 had some incredible athletes.
Why use this anecdotal crap instead of actual stats? Go count the number of 4/5 stars they recruited each year. Go look at the actual recruiting RANKINGS. They're obviously flawed, but it's a much better metric than you looking back fondly on the good players you remember and calling me delusional when I remember we were inexcusably awful at QB and OL recruiting and completely lacking of depth all over the field. All of those future NFL players you reference were included in the recruiting rankings that had Johnson's classes pretty much on par with Gailey's. Like I said, Gailey was either extremely lucky, or awesome at finding undervalued talent, but he wasn't taking players away from the big boys any more than Johnson was. 2007 was an incredible class by GT standards, but it was a complete outlier and 2008 was looking more like previous years than it was 2007.

Back