Yates: Ride or Die...for now

Yates has earned to be the starter. That guy plays his heart out. Wish things would click with Sims looks like he had ton of potential. Proud of how hard the team fought.
That’s all I ask for is that they be competitive in every game , give us a chance.

Real talk: did Joe Ham have anything physically (speed, height, arm strength) over Jordan Yates? I think Yates may be an inch or two taller to be fair.
Probably could run faster than Yates.

So you're saying that Sims should be pulled in Qtr1 of the first game for some overthrows, but you totally ignored the critical overthrows Yates had vs Clemson

We called a different game vs Clemson , we went with quick out passes , dink & dunk and we milked the play clock down to under 8 seconds for each snap to keep the Game close, with Sims in there we have never played close to the vest like that

With Sims we have always played with a rip-the-bandaid-off-mentality so we could see how far we have to go to run our real offense the way Pnode wants it run

This why we were able to move down the field, short safe throws and then when in the RZ those short safe throws disappear and we were in the same situation as with Sims, no TDs attempting FGs

Based on your original comment, you think QBs should be pulled halfway thru a Qtr after a few errant passes?

Just say you never liked Sims for whatever reason, and you always preferred Yates, my theory is that Yates forces us to play "small ball" and you are one of those Fans that doesn't think that GT can succeed playing the same way everyone else does , so you feel more comfortable with a guy that forces us to play "small ball"

Yates has solidified his PT, I admit that with no hesitation ,so why even mention Sims at all

Once everyone watches the Clemson Film, they are going to start squatting on underneath Routes and will force Yates to go for longer Routes requiring longer & better protection from our OLine , plus other QBs are going to put more points on the Board than Clemson's NIL Dr Pepper QB

UNC scored 59 yesterday on a Broncho Mendenhall Team, so they are hitting their groove on Off and Pitt had 6 TD passes in a loss, so going forward Yates won't be able to be protected by burn the clock conservative play calling, then we can make an apples to apples comparison with our QBs

Did it ever cross your mind that one reason we lost is that we never made them play "honest and loose" because Yates never attacked them deep and stretched the field? (of course this could be wrong) my point is you have to analyze all aspects of a game instead taking the easy way out with that QB should be pulled, or the OC blew the call there
Sims is obviously a great athlete... but just because a dude is amazing in practice doesn't mean we "owe" him anything when it comes to game time. The guy obviously has had issues when it comes to performing under the lights. Yates performed pretty darn great in death valley, and I would have to say FAR better than anyone would have given him credit for based on expectations leading in to game. I mean seriously, we have a chance to win up until the final seconds? Woulda coulda shoulda on Sims, but the end results don't lie..

I agree that we shouldn't kick Sims outta bed at this point, but Yates is Extremely composed and plays
with his head and isn't making game killing mistakes like multiple turnovers (which has happened many times with Sims). Also, imo it would be grossly incompetent to bench Yates just because Sims is "ready to go", as if Yates was lying in wait to hand over the position back to him and was simply biding his time. Make the guy earn it back. The proof will be when Sims gets put back in and suddenly has some sort of mental breakdown... then it will be pretty apparent. Im obviously hoping and not assuming that will be the case, but it very well is possible just based on past results. I hope the guys comes and goes nuts and shows his true abilities and leads the friggin team to the promised land.. I just want us to win and if not be competitive and whoever gets us there I'm in favor of. We lost 73-7 last year and just barely lost 14-8 this year in death valley... thats a better showing in my book

Source: AJC

After throwing 33 passes against Clemson without an interception, Yates’ total went up to 74 for the season, none of which have been intercepted. Four qualifying quarterbacks have thrown one. Yates’ pick-free game against the Tigers is all the more impressive considering the amount of pressure that he faced, as interceptions are often thrown when quarterbacks are hurried into ill-advised throws.

Yates has completed 49 of the 74 throws, 66.2%, good for seventh in the ACC. Five of his throws have gone for touchdowns.

Jordan Yates stats

cmp 49
att 74
cmp% 66.2
yds 592
TD 5
INT 0
YDS/ATT 8.0
rtg 155.7

For his career, including his 21 passes thrown in 2019 and 2020, Yates has yet to throw an interception in 95 career throws. Tech does not keep track of consecutive passes without an interception, but George Godsey played three consecutive games (120 passes) in the 2000 season without getting picked off. He completed 69.1% of those throws in the three games.

I honestly don't have much worries about our offense come Saturday outside of our OC which makes me scratch my head sometimes... I believe we will score 35+ The question will be our defense can we hold down N.C. blistering offense. The defense played hard Saturday made them earn their yards but this is a total different QB been alot of talk about our deep secondary being the best unit and our Dline pass being better so those 2 things are gonna be huge

I suspect this game will shape my thoughts on Yates.

He did fine against an FCS team and did a good job as a game manager against Clemson.

Brennan Armstrong just gashed this defense for 554 yards and 4 TDs. If we aren’t successful in the pass game we have a problem.

Source: AJC

After throwing 33 passes against Clemson without an interception, Yates’ total went up to 74 for the season, none of which have been intercepted. Four qualifying quarterbacks have thrown one. Yates’ pick-free game against the Tigers is all the more impressive considering the amount of pressure that he faced, as interceptions are often thrown when quarterbacks are hurried into ill-advised throws.

Yates has completed 49 of the 74 throws, 66.2%, good for seventh in the ACC. Five of his throws have gone for touchdowns.

Jordan Yates stats

cmp 49
att 74
cmp% 66.2
yds 592
TD 5
INT 0
YDS/ATT 8.0
rtg 155.7

For his career, including his 21 passes thrown in 2019 and 2020, Yates has yet to throw an interception in 95 career throws. Tech does not keep track of consecutive passes without an interception, but George Godsey played three consecutive games (120 passes) in the 2000 season without getting picked off. He completed 69.1% of those throws in the three games.

They are trying so hard to Jinx him aren't they?

I suspect this game will shape my thoughts on Yates.

He did fine against an FCS team and did a good job as a game manager against Clemson.

Brennan Armstrong just gashed this defense for 554 yards and 4 TDs. If we aren’t successful in the pass game we have a problem.

I don't think you want whoever is at QB to be in a shootout against N.C. That offense is elite and you want to basically control the flow of game have a consistent running game against time control the clock and score. That's what Virginia couldn't do and you can see they lost thr sprint.

Ideally you would hope between limiting there possessions and hoping your D can get 3-4 additional stops you keep the scores below 40 and it favors you at that point. 225+ Yards of passing and +250 yards of running with consistency. We do that we got a good shot.

Virginia actually held the time of possession against by near 5 minutes but also gave up high play after huge play. You just can't get gashed by them like that and maintain TOP.

I honestly don't have much worries about our offense come Saturday outside of our OC which makes me scratch my head sometimes... I believe we will score 35+ The question will be our defense can we hold down N.C. blistering offense. The defense played hard Saturday made them earn their yards but this is a total different QB been alot of talk about our deep secondary being the best unit and our Dline pass being better so those 2 things are gonna be huge

I sure hope you are right because I don’t hold the same confidence that we break 35. In the previous 2 years we only scored 35+ twice. Of course we broke 35 this year against KSU. I’m really interested to see if our defense can distinguish itself this week. If they control UNC we could end up having a really solid year.

I don't think you want whoever is at QB to be in a shootout against N.C. That offense is elite and you want to basically control the flow of game have a consistent running game against time control the clock and score. That's what Virginia couldn't do and you can see they lost thr sprint.

Ideally you would hope between limiting there possessions and hoping your D can get 3-4 additional stops you keep the scores below 40 and it favors you at that point. 225+ Yards of passing and +250 yards of running with consistency. We do that we got a good shot.

Virginia actually held the time of possession against by near 5 minutes but also gave up high play after huge play. You just can't get gashed by them like that and maintain TOP.

I don’t disagree. We don’t have the horses to win a shootout against a good offense. My point is this is a mediocre to bad defense we are facing. If Yates is the answer he should look good in this game.

I don’t disagree. We don’t have the horses to win a shootout against a good offense. My point is this is a mediocre to bad defense we are facing. If Yates is the answer he should look good in this game.

I am pretty confident he will, but we gotta get TDs, not FGs

Back