Yates: Ride or Die...for now

Did it occur to anyone that maybe our defense played well because we could keep the offense on the field to get them a breather? "Dink and dunk" was likely not just due to playing Yates. It was an effective strategy to give us a chance to win. If we played Simms I would hope the strategy would be the same.
PNode has never used Sims that way, when Sims played we try to run Tempo and try to do "what everyone else does"

Last season with Sims we rarely milked the clock on Off to shorten the Game

Real talk: did Joe Ham have anything physically (speed, height, arm strength) over Jordan Yates? I think Yates may be an inch or two taller to be fair.
Joe Ham had a strong enough Arm to be an NFL Backup at 5-10 back in an Era when the NFL was very biased against QBs under 6-2

That alone puts him light years ahead of Yates as a QB

In this Era Joe Ham is likely a 2nd Round draft pick maybe late 1st and given a legit shot to earn s starting job

Real talk: did Joe Ham have anything physically (speed, height, arm strength) over Jordan Yates? I think Yates may be an inch or two taller to be fair.

In my opinion, Hamilton was faster/quicker than Yates and had a longer arm; but definitely wasn't taller. I think Yates has more arm than we've seen in games though.

Joe Ham had a strong enough Arm to be an NFL Backup at 5-10 back in an Era when the NFL was very biased against QBs under 6-2

That alone puts him light years ahead of Yates as a QB

In this Era Joe Ham is likely a 2nd Round draft pick maybe late 1st and given a legit shot to earn s starting job
If Yates becomes anywhere near as productive as Lil’ Joe, you guys are gonna be very happy.

Literally played one top 5 QBR rated games against Clemson in past 2 years. I like Sims overall talent but again I'll say this upside doesn't mean better like I've mentioned Russell Wilson was smallest QB and not as highly recruited as some at NC State but he ended up being the starter and overall better QB in his career because of his intangibles ability to make plays and pick apart defenses. Yates is capable of the throwing the ball 40-50 yards downfield if the play is there
I would hope we could just keep this on the College level

Russ Wilson might be the best deep thrower in the NFL along with. ARodgers, and Russ Wilson has an exceptionally strong arm , and mobility to keep plays alive, are those now called intangibles , maybe

Upside is never better, you are right

However if we cultivate the upside, then maybe that better will translate to the field

Based on all accounts Sims works hard, I just find it astonishing that so many seem ready to move on after a bad 1 Qtr of FB, this season

I was just thinking that we needed another insufferable long winded blowhard know-it-all to repeat the same points over and over interspersed with asinine hot takes, and here you are!

JRjr

Well said sir…you are indeed Dodd like.

My bad a comment I made got screwed up somehow and I deleted it

Bama takes 8 to 10 shots per game of chunk plays on Off, no one thinks that Bama is a check down offense

Most CFB experts think that Bama is light years different than in Sabans early years

If your first option is open, that’s where you throw the ball.

How did Alabama match up against UF? Two passes over 20 yards. Zero passes of 30 yards or more. That is one fewer than GT against Clemson (or 1 more >20 yard passes). Both threw about 20 passes and averaged just over 10 yards a completion. Both completed passes to 8 different receivers.

Their #1 receiver by receptions averaged under 10 yards per catch. Their #1 receiver by yards averaged 15 ypc. Both were less than ours.

And their rushing stats weren’t great either. That was their pass to win offense.

Yates may be the next Joe Ham. Let him develop and watch his last two years. The kid is smart, compoised, cool under pressure, and is a flat out baller
giphy.gif

This is foolishness my man. We sound like dwags with the "next Herschel" nonsense. First James Graham was the next Joe Ham bc of his stats as a freshman. Then Sims. Now Yates. None of them are or will be.

giphy.gif

This is foolishness my man. We sound like dwags with the "next Herschel" nonsense. First James Graham was the next Joe Ham bc of his stats as a freshman. Then Sims. Now Yates. None of them are or will be.

I will settle for Yates being the next Goose. And Sims being the next Nesbitt.

Old school vs New school.

Should you lose your job to injury?

I thought starting positions were determined by competition in practice during the week?

On a side note, at this point if Yates is benched now for anyone else without an explanation, I think there would be an uprising with terrible consequences.

Yates is a game manager at QB. Need the big play ability of Simms imo

Agree regarding both points, but a game manager with an opportunity to make big plays is more important than big play ability with a higher probability of killing drives.

I think Yates played a hell of a game given the circumstances. We look like a different team with him in the game.

And have ever since he ascended to the starting QB. Keep in mind, the Clempson game was his 2nd start. Not to bad of a performnce in a hostile atmosphere, with a lightning delay half way thru to boot. Yates is our QB until someone's play is better.

So when Sims overthrows WRs in the EZ he deserves to get yanked, but when Yates throws passes out of the EZ and OoB then he's our guy?

Me and others have admitted that Yates has earned his PT but we also ask others like you to judge him the same way you judged Sims

We won't face other QBs as flawed as Ukulele, Yates won't be able to burn clock on Offense and hope that the Defense will keep it close

Teams won't get caught off guard like Clemson did, they are going to start squatting on the underneath Routes and force Yates to attack them deep , when this happens in the future and bad things happen don't start blaming the OC and a lack of coaching em up

Unfortunatelt we haven't had a chance to see if Yates has the ability to stretch the field because our O-line hasn't shown the ability to provide the QB time to setup in the pocket and find his open option. Let's wait and see what happens.

Yates earned his spot. Do I think he is a next level QB? Nope. A next level QB is bigger, stronger, faster, with a better arm. I guess you'll be OK with playing teams close this season and almost winning. Go you!

How many of those you speak of have we had at GT in recent memory?

Back