Yates: Ride or Die...for now

Excuse me Sir

Yates ain't Tom Brady

Yates played well vs KSU , and then couldn't get us in the EZ vs Clemson, if Clemson has their normal offense and scores 38 or so points, burning clock on offense and dinking & dunking wouldn't have made you happy and no one would lauding his game management

Dabo credited our defense for their offensive performance. You should too.

On Georgia Tech’s defense: “They absolutely lined up in nothing that we prepared for. They decided that they were going to just play odd double cloud and play corners up, play overhangs and make us go everything in between the tackles and give us the opportunity there to do that and just not let us have the big play. That’s just kind of what they were going to do.”

I read that story and Pipp wasn't injured - he went to the Mgr and asked for a day off and the rest is History

Sims didn't ask for a weird elbow injury vs NIL, huge difference, but I get your gist

Gotta get more accurate contextually

Here's some context since we're already throwing TB12's name around -- Drew Bledsoe

Yates has done a solid job. We had better stats than uga did against this same Clemson team.

We protected the ball better. We distributed it better.

I’ll go with the steady hand that makes our offense better overall. Yates has made better decisions, even if he hasn’t made better plays. If teams with a worse defense than Clemson start sitting on the short routes, we’ll see how Yates looks then. Right now he has checked off the over the top routes for the most part. Yates did hit a few nice deep throws into two deep coverage when we needed it.

The three best qbs I have seen at Tech (post 1992) haven’t had the off the field numbers. Joe, Goose, and JT5 aren’t wowing anyone with their bodies. They make good decisions and are good enough to make the plays. I hope Sims comes out and wins the job back. Or develops and is ready to go once Yates eligibility expires. sims could easily have two years without Yates.

Here's some context since we're already throwing TB12's name around -- Drew Bledsoe

Brady finished out that Playoff Run very strong and then after Bledsoe had healed Brady outplayed Bledsoe the next Camp and won the Job

People seem to forget that Brady still had to win the Job and beat out Bledsoe that next season

I understand what you meant though

Dabo credited our defense for their offensive performance. You should too.

On Georgia Tech’s defense: “They absolutely lined up in nothing that we prepared for. They decided that they were going to just play odd double cloud and play corners up, play overhangs and make us go everything in between the tackles and give us the opportunity there to do that and just not let us have the big play. That’s just kind of what they were going to do.”

Ellis should have gone to the heavy run game earlier. I think they were trying to work on some concepts before establishing a solid lead and it burned them.

For fairness, here's a hypothetical:

If PNode came out vs NIL and dinked and dunked and milked clock and played close to vest do you think we win, do you think that Sims is still the guy?

In the first game vs a lesser opponent we thought we would use that to open up the Offense and get some live fire Reps with deep passing to help us later in the season, but the defense played like crap, the kid got hurt , defense couldn't get a stop had poor mental focus and we lost

One of the problems with our fans is that we have too many blame the OC, blame the QB fans that don't watch the game in the trenches, there are 11 moving parts on Offense on each play and many of us only see the QB and the RB or WR, we as fans have to learn to watch the game differently, just my opinion though, I could be wrong

I’m not sure I’m following your logic. Are you saying Yates is incapable of doing anything but “dink and dunk” offense and/or implying Sims has the higher upside? If so, that’s fine…just say so and save the hypothetical.

Neither quarterback has all the tools. Yates is more solid. Sims has more upside. Hopefully Peery is the ultimate solution.
We need to add another QB. either a recruit or a transfer. After this season, Beatty will be gone leaving us with a max of 3 QB's.

Spurrier successfully used two qbs at times. Let Sims get well and see if this works out. Hopefully both of their talents can be used selectively and productively.

Versus NIU, Sims could not do anything. NIU, who everyone else has scored at least 50 pts so far.

Yates came in to the NIU game and started to provide offense. Probably Sims would have as well, but I saw what I saw.

And comparing how Yates played against a stellar defense like Clemson is a little like apples to oranges.

I don't know the answers to who is better, but I say let's get some more data between the 2.

Spurrier successfully used two qbs at times. Let Sims get well and see if this works out. Hopefully both of their talents can be used selectively and productively.
Sims in at QB likely means more rushing yards for Gibbs and the rest of the RB, being Sims is much more of a threat with his legs than Yates. Like I said, I want to move us to the next level. Yates has earned his position. Do I think he is our next level QB. No.

I read that story and Pipp wasn't injured - he went to the Mgr and asked for a day off and the rest is History

Sims didn't ask for a weird elbow injury vs NIL, huge difference, but I get your gist

Gotta get more accurate contextually
Once again you display your ignorance. Pipp had a headache and asked to sit.

It was the most famous headache in baseball history, and it turned Wally Pipp into a trivia question.

It turned Lou Gehrig into a baseball immortal.

On June 2, 1925, Pipp, the New York Yankees starting first baseman, asked out of the lineup because of a headache. Yanks manager Miller Huggins turned to his bench, where he found 21-year-old Lou Gehrig.

Edited to add:
This source is only the Baseball Hall of Fame. I guess you know more than they do? LOLOLOL.

No. Sims has a strong arm. You can literally see the difference in warm ups in arm strength.

I am not disputing Sims has a stronger arm, just saying he wasn't a threat down field last year, either. It was the number 2 complaint people had about him, behind the turnovers. (I defended him, fwiw). We may not have a vertical threat until we can protect better.

I am indeed on the Yates train, but I have not given up on Sims. They should both keep competing.

Nice strawman. I didn’t assume Yates wouldn’t get better. I assumed that if he read a defense correctly and checked down, then had the defense played differently he would have not checked down.

The play calling hasn’t changed drastically. Sims is just more likely to attempt the low percentage pass. Our play calling all of last year was very vanilla and very conservative. That is why most of the highlight plays were Sims making something from nothing.

You are misreading the change in Alabama and LSU. They still very much check down. They have simply added in a high reward pass or two that are timed well. It is Lane Kiffin’s offense. Look at how he was viewed while at Bama. He was the bubble screen king.

You have an entire season of Sims running the same offense. The difference you are seeing is QB decision making. Yates is taking what the defense is giving him. So far, he hasn’t tried to force a big play. That is probably smart since our WR core hasn’t been getting a lot of separation.

Sims in at QB likely means more rushing yards for Gibbs and the rest of the RB, being Sims is much more of a threat with his legs than Yates. Like I said, I want to move us to the next level. Yates has earned his position. Do I think he is our next level QB. No.
The fans of Yates talk about him running the Offense better, did we do any read option where the QB pulls the ball and Runs?

I don't remember any read option, for all we know Yates might have had issues on the mesh leading to a fumble

maybe our RBs hate splitting stats and squeeze too hard trying to keep the ball leading to fumbles, we have no real way of knowing, but some of us love to blame Sims for everything

I will admit that Yates is running our new throwback Chan Gailey Offense better, the same offense that these same Sims bashers hated years ago

The fans of Yates talk about him running the Offense better, did we do any read option where the QB pulls the ball and Runs?

I don't remember any read option, for all we know Yates might have had issues on the mesh leading to a fumble

maybe our RBs hate splitting stats and squeeze too hard trying to keep the ball leading to fumbles, we have no real way of knowing, but some of us love to blame Sims for everything

I will admit that Yates is running our new throwback Chan Gailey Offense better, the same offense that these same Sims bashers hated years ago
I love how you double & triple down on stupid, LOL.

Wow…this thread. What I’ve learned so far:

1. Yates makes good decisions, keeps his eyes downfield, cannot throw the ball vertical, wins games, has low upside;
2. Sims is a dynamic athlete, turnover machine, could win the Heisman, may enter the transfer portal, is hurt, should maybe get his job back when healthy, was recruited by FSU
3. Sims strong arm was observed in pregame
4. Tom Brady has a stronger arm than Matthew Stafford because somebody watched him throw in warmups 10 years ago
5. Some think @JJacket is a douche, he thinks people are snowflakes
6. @PressManCoverage watches all 11 players on offense, not just the QB, RBs and WRs. He encourages others to do the same

What did I miss?

Nice strawman. I didn’t assume Yates wouldn’t get better. I assumed that if he read a defense correctly and checked down, then had the defense played differently he would have not checked down.

The play calling hasn’t changed drastically. Sims is just more likely to attempt the low percentage pass. Our play calling all of last year was very vanilla and very conservative. That is why most of the highlight plays were Sims making something from nothing.

You are misreading the change in Alabama and LSU. They still very much check down. They have simply added in a high reward pass or two that are timed well. It is Lane Kiffin’s offense. Look at how he was viewed while at Bama. He was the bubble screen king.

You have an entire season of Sims running the same offense. The difference you are seeing is QB decision making. Yates is taking what the defense is giving him. So far, he hasn’t tried to force a big play. That is probably smart since our WR core hasn’t been getting a lot of separation.
My bad a comment I made got screwed up somehow and I deleted it

Bama takes 8 to 10 shots per game of chunk plays on Off, no one thinks that Bama is a check down offense

Most CFB experts think that Bama is light years different than in Sabans early years

So you're saying that Sims should be pulled in Qtr1 of the first game for some overthrows, but you totally ignored the critical overthrows Yates had vs Clemson

We called a different game vs Clemson , we went with quick out passes , dink & dunk and we milked the play clock down to under 8 seconds for each snap to keep the Game close, with Sims in there we have never played close to the vest like that

With Sims we have always played with a rip-the-bandaid-off-mentality so we could see how far we have to go to run our real offense the way Pnode wants it run

This why we were able to move down the field, short safe throws and then when in the RZ those short safe throws disappear and we were in the same situation as with Sims, no TDs attempting FGs

Based on your original comment, you think QBs should be pulled halfway thru a Qtr after a few errant passes?

Just say you never liked Sims for whatever reason, and you always preferred Yates, my theory is that Yates forces us to play "small ball" and you are one of those Fans that doesn't think that GT can succeed playing the same way everyone else does , so you feel more comfortable with a guy that forces us to play "small ball"

Yates has solidified his PT, I admit that with no hesitation ,so why even mention Sims at all

Once everyone watches the Clemson Film, they are going to start squatting on underneath Routes and will force Yates to go for longer Routes requiring longer & better protection from our OLine , plus other QBs are going to put more points on the Board than Clemson's NIL Dr Pepper QB

UNC scored 59 yesterday on a Broncho Mendenhall Team, so they are hitting their groove on Off and Pitt had 6 TD passes in a loss, so going forward Yates won't be able to be protected by burn the clock conservative play calling, then we can make an apples to apples comparison with our QBs

Did it ever cross your mind that one reason we lost is that we never made them play "honest and loose" because Yates never attacked them deep and stretched the field? (of course this could be wrong) my point is you have to analyze all aspects of a game instead taking the easy way out with that QB should be pulled, or the OC blew the call there

I think when you're starting QB is missing wide open receivers multiple times in the first game of the season, something is ööööing wrong and you need to at least sit the QB for one drive so you can try and talk him out of it. Even bad QB's don't miss receivers that badly without a lot of pressure which we weren't having. I'm not saying he needed to be benched permanently but something was very wrong at that point.

As you point out, longer routes require better protection. The weakness of the offensive line forces us to place small ball regardless of the QB. You can't have a deep pass when guys get blown off the line or miss assignments. We did the same öööö with Sims last year for that same reason and furthermore if Sims Hasn't fixed his issue of missing wide open receivers then setting up deep passes will be for nothing.

Did it occur to anyone that maybe our defense played well because we could keep the offense on the field to get them a breather? "Dink and dunk" was likely not just due to playing Yates. It was an effective strategy to give us a chance to win. If we played Simms I would hope the strategy would be the same.

Back