Yates: Ride or Die...for now

The fans of Yates talk about him running the Offense better, did we do any read option where the QB pulls the ball and Runs?

I don't remember any read option, for all we know Yates might have had issues on the mesh leading to a fumble

maybe our RBs hate splitting stats and squeeze too hard trying to keep the ball leading to fumbles, we have no real way of knowing, but some of us love to blame Sims for everything

I will admit that Yates is running our new throwback Chan Gailey Offense better, the same offense that these same Sims bashers hated years ago
The read option with Sims keeps defenders honest. Defenders seemed to be selling out on Gibbs

Wow…this thread. What I’ve learned so far:

1. Yates makes good decisions, keeps his eyes downfield, cannot throw the ball vertical, wins games, has low upside;
2. Sims is a dynamic athlete, turnover machine, could win the Heisman, may enter the transfer portal, is hurt, should maybe get his job back when healthy, was recruited by FSU
3. Sims strong arm was observed in pregame
4. Tom Brady has a stronger arm than Matthew Stafford because somebody watched him throw in warmups 10 years ago
5. Some think @JJacket is a douche, he thinks people are snowflakes
6. @PressManCoverage watches all 11 players on offense, not just the QB, RBs and WRs. He encourages others to do the same

What did I miss?
Yates won "A" game, not "games". We have beaten KSU with Yates as a starter.

1. Yates makes good decisions, keeps his eyes downfield, cannot throw the ball vertical, wins games, has low upside;
2. Sims is a dynamic athlete, turnover machine, could win the Heisman, may enter the transfer portal, is hurt, should maybe get his job back when healthy, was recruited by FSU
4. Tom Brady has a stronger arm than Matthew Stafford because somebody watched him throw in warmups 10 years ago
6. @PressManCoverage watches all 11 players on offense, not just the QB, RBs and WRs. He encourages others to do the same

What did I miss?
you define winning games as beating a 3-O FCS Team?

Are you sure you want to define that as winning games?

No one said anything about Sims and any awards, people with eyes that have watched CFB see a higher ceiling , for some reason we don't feel we deserve nice things

we can only win at CFB with small scrappy undersized guys?

But feel free to continue with your creative license and continue to misinterpret people's comments to a ridiculous extreme

I guess you think burning 7 mins on that last drive was genius coaching too?

Did it occur to anyone that maybe our defense played well because we could keep the offense on the field to get them a breather? "Dink and dunk" was likely not just due to playing Yates. It was an effective strategy to give us a chance to win. If we played Simms I would hope the strategy would be the same.

The read option with Sims keeps defenders honest. Defenders seemed to be selling out on Gibbs
I agree , so why didn't we run it more with Yates since he makes better decisions and is better with ball security, as aggressive as Clemson was Yates could've popped a few big runs .......

I agree , so why didn't we run it more with Yates since he makes better decisions and is better with ball security, as aggressive as Clemson was Yates could've popped a few big runs .......
Because he isn't a fast QB. He isn't a home run threat with his legs.

Well, if you're right and it's more the RB's issue than the QB's, maybe the coaches decided fumbling on the play once per game was gonna keep happening and wasn't worth it anymore.

No one said anything about Sims and any awards, people with eyes that have watched CFB see a higher ceiling , for some reason we don't feel we deserve nice things

But feel free to continue with your creative license and continue to misinterpret people's comments to a ridiculous extreme

Settle down hoss…..of all the commentary on this thread, don’t recall anyone mentioning genius coaching. And yes, I fully advocate for playing with small scrappy guys.

Congrats to Jordan Yates for a very solid game against a tough defense.
Thanks to Yates (and a fine defensive effort) we can have legit hope of many more wins this year.
We now have a solid QB starter with the future in mind.
Hope Sims will get/stay healthy. improve accuracy,reads,2nd receiver selection thru development.
(and be ready when opportunity knocks)
He can be a fine backup for many years to come.

I was just thinking that we needed another insufferable long winded blowhard know-it-all to repeat the same points over and over interspersed with asinine hot takes, and here you are!

JRjr

What did I miss?
7. You have to throw deep on every play to have an effective offensive gamplan.

Yates may be the next Joe Ham. Let him develop and watch his last two years. The kid is smart, compoised, cool under pressure, and is a flat out baller
Real talk: did Joe Ham have anything physically (speed, height, arm strength) over Jordan Yates? I think Yates may be an inch or two taller to be fair.

You have no way of knowing what Sims looks like in a dink & dunk offense that burns clock on offense to keep it close because we've never run that with Sims in there , also you can't just assume he'd throw picks either

I also said Yates earned his PT

We are not going to be able the play the rest of the season the way we played yesterday, close to vest and milking the clock on offense, if you can't envision that, then I don't know what to tell you
That wasn't because the QB that was because the defense we were playing and the obvious right call to get some drives sustained against them... If they came out there with any QB just throwing to throw 40 yards downfield ever play we would've had ton more 3 and outs and turnovers. I don't believe Sims has shown the adequate ability to go thru reads and make the short to intermediate passes consistently sorry... I saw just need to see one play yesterday to understand Yates gets it... he went thru several progressions in about 3 seconds and dropped a dime 30 yard pass between 3 Clemson defenders across middle hitting WR perfectly that's a play Sims doesn't make he maybe gets to his 2nd progression and then tucks and runs. Sim has ton of talent but there's a difference you can tell

Real talk: did Joe Ham have anything physically (speed, height, arm strength) over Jordan Yates? I think Yates may be an inch or two taller to be fair.
Honestly my comparison for College is more along the lines of Russell Wilson now not saying he will be just as good but he has some of the same qualities

Just adding my 2c, as I think a lot of people on this thread agree more than they realize and maybe saying things a different way will bridge this gap.

Sims has a higher ceiling athletically - he has a stronger arm, is taller, and is faster. Yates is the more mature QB - he runs through his progressions quicker, makes better decisions, is more accurate, and gives us a better chance to win in the here and now. I like Sims and hope he stays. With more time to develop he could be a phenomenal player, but he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready. Some additional time to develop before he gets another crack at it would benefit him significantly, I think.

I also think it's worth noting that Yates is still a RS Freshman and was also a 4* guy out of HS. He isn't close to reaching his ceiling yet, and I look forward to watching both of these guys compete in the years ahead.

Excuse me Sir

Yates ain't Tom Brady

Yates played well vs KSU , and then couldn't get us in the EZ vs Clemson, if Clemson has their normal offense and scores 38 or so points, burning clock on offense and dinking & dunking wouldn't have made you happy and no one would lauding his game management
Literally played one top 5 QBR rated games against Clemson in past 2 years. I like Sims overall talent but again I'll say this upside doesn't mean better like I've mentioned Russell Wilson was smallest QB and not as highly recruited as some at NC State but he ended up being the starter and overall better QB in his career because of his intangibles ability to make plays and pick apart defenses. Yates is capable of the throwing the ball 40-50 yards downfield if the play is there

Sims in at QB likely means more rushing yards for Gibbs and the rest of the RB, being Sims is much more of a threat with his legs than Yates. Like I said, I want to move us to the next level. Yates has earned his position. Do I think he is our next level QB. No.
Not true. I saw in the warmups that Yates is actually 3 inches taller than sims and much faster.

Back