You Can Succeed in Recruiting at Tech

F

FallOnTheFlats

Modern-day coaches have proven it's possible to succeed in recruiting at Tech. If it wasn't, we couldn't have won conference and national championships in football, been to two Final Fours in basketball, and played in baseball's College World Series, all since 1990.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to recruit for Tech basketball and baseball compared to football. Apples and grapes and oranges.

Basketball and baseball are completely different from football. Basketball you need far fewer players and baseball the students are actually interested in a good degree.

Not saying it's not possible to succeed in recruiting at Tech, just your reasoning is off.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to recruit for Tech basketball and baseball compared to football. Apples and grapes and oranges.

This.

We are recruiting very different types of SAs in other sports.

Otherwise the gaggers would have a phenomenal basketball team too.

When we joined the ACC there was NEVER any way we would be able to compete in the nation's best BB conference. Now, yes, BB deals with fewer recruits. But that also means, in proportion, there are a lot fewer to recruit from as well.

I sometimes think if some here had been in charge our Republic, our rebound from Pearl, winning at Omaha Beach, and putting a man on the moon would NEVER have happened.

Way to much whine, too many excuses, too many low expectations, too many philosophies that are in direct contradiction to what makes GT great.

Too much wah - wah - wah.:bigcry:

Many of you should be very happy your low expectations of GT are happening.

Tech is smack dab in the middle of the most fertile football recruiting area in the country and a fan base that is football smart. So, I say, YES! GT can field a better football team than it has.
A coaching staff that is high energy for recruiting will overcome a lot of the previously mentioned obstacles that some of us think Tech has.

A basketball recruit who is planning on being a 1 and done can fail classes the first semester and be on probation the second semester and not care because the season is over before their first school year is done.

With football, you don't have that luxury. What a football coach can do, is find hidden gems in 2 and 3 star players. Not all 2 and 3 stars are created equally and a good evaluator of talent can find a few gems each class.

Chan was really good at finding diamonds in the rough that way outperformed their ranking. CPJ hasn't shown that eye for talent, but I hope he can because he is a better game day coach than Chan.

When we joined the ACC there was NEVER any way we would be able to compete in the nation's best BB conference. Now, yes, BB deals with fewer recruits. But that also means, in proportion, there are a lot fewer to recruit from as well.

no, that is not at all true. your logic is not right. many more schools have only basketball and no football team, so the total number to choose from in hoops is NOT in proportion to the number of spots on the team and instead is VASTLY superior numbers-wise for finding good basketball players especially in the ATL area due to AAU teams

so try again. you are WAY OFF BASE if you try to compare finding 2-4 guys to finding 18-25 guys with both the athletic and academic talent

plus the lure of ACC basketball is just like the lure of SEC in football

dream on, bro, your analysis is pretty much garbage though

I don't care what anyone says, we will never be a perennial contender in football and have a top notch academic reputation, period. As an alumni, I'm ok with that. I do however think we are/will be a Stanford, and every once and a while put together a top 10 team. As bad as it hurts me to say, the glory days are over. It's a different world now, kids don't care about education, and I'm ok with that! At least we have a competitive team to go with our kick-ass degrees! That is all.

Chan was really good at finding diamonds in the rough that way outperformed their ranking. CPJ hasn't shown that eye for talent, but I hope he can because he is a better game day coach than Chan.

No. No he wasn't. Of his signing classes from 02 on, barely more than half those guys did anything. Aside from the one monster class, even Chan's production with 2-star guys was not much, aside from Vance Walker and Gary Guyton.

I don't care what anyone says, we will never be a perennial contender in football and have a top notch academic reputation, period. As an alumni, I'm ok with that. I do however think we are/will be a Stanford, and every once and a while put together a top 10 team. As bad as it hurts me to say, the glory days are over. It's a different world now, kids don't care about education, and I'm ok with that! At least we have a competitive team to go with our kick-ass degrees! That is all.

The only issue there is that the football program will continue to decline. GT grads do not fill the stadium, if you continue losing the (I don't know) 20% that are sidewalk the bills won't get paid. The AJC study a while back was quite telling. Something like in the age range of 10 to 30, 5% of Georgians are GT fans. GTAA will be hurting in about 20 years when that age group is paying and the older folks pass on. I guess the way GT looks at things that will be a blessing, a good reason to end football.

Agreed. That is and should be enough for most alumni. But I can see how it would be extremely frustrating for a sidewalk fan, just as it was extremely frustrating for me as a student before I got out into the real world and got some perspective.

When I was a student, Dave Braine's comments about the type of program GT was made my blood boil. Now I look back and think he was just telling the truth, even though I still disagree that Chan was the best coach for us.

Agreed. That is and should be enough for most alumni. But I can see how it would be extremely frustrating for a sidewalk fan, just as it was extremely frustrating for me as a student before I got out into the real world and got some perspective.

When I was a student, Dave Braine's comments about the type of program GT was made my blood boil. Now I look back and think he was just telling the truth, even though I still disagree that Chan was the best coach for us.

Bullshit (as nicely as possible). It seems like most of the bitching is coming from alumni on this board. I'm a "sidewalk fan" and what you've said above is EXACTLY one of the reasons I love Tech so much. Academic integrity on and off the field by student athletes who understand that they are representatives and ambassadors of their school and act accordingly. That is as it should be.

Piling on, even Rice won a World Series in baseball.

All college sports would be better and have a more even playing field if all sports had the same rule as baseball on early departures. And if football had a minor league of some sort it would gut the powerhouse programs. Yeah, not gonna happen, but "if".

Bullshit (as nicely as possible). It seems like most of the bitching is coming from alumni on this board. I'm a "sidewalk fan" and what you've said above is EXACTLY one of the reasons I love Tech so much. Academic integrity on and off the field by student athletes who understand that they are representatives and ambassadors of their school and act accordingly. That is as it should be.

Bitching about what? Academic restrictions hampering our football program? I'd have to disagree with you on that (as nicely as possible, of course.)

It's not 100%, obviously. Didn't mean to imply that. Also, it's just what I seem to remember from our many threads about whether Tech should add new majors to "help the school become more well rounded" (but in reality the threads were about helping the football program, because the types of majors which would help the school are not the ones which would help with recruiting.)

Also, bitching about football success itself or lack thereof is one thing. Bitching about how the quality of the school and academic restrictions are holding us down is another, and it's the latter I am referring to when I say that sidewalk fans would be more frustrated than alumni. Again, in general.

1990 was 23 years ago. Given how the athletics landscape has changed (along with Tech's academic profile and national reputation), it's not a relevant starting point.

I graduated from GT, but I won't accept mediocrity. Tech has some great things to sell to football players. We just need to go outside of the state to get the guys who are looking for what Tech offers. We also need to work on reaching out to former players so their kids will want to come here.

Your degree has very little to do with our football program and that is just another excuse. We should want to be good because there is no reason to play the game if that is not the goal.

I graduated from GT, but I won't accept mediocrity. Tech has some great things to sell to football players. We just need to go outside of the state to get the guys who are looking for what Tech offers. We also need to work on reaching out to former players so their kids will want to come here.

Your degree has very little to do with our football program and that is just another excuse. We should want to be good because there is no reason to play the game if that is not the goal.

What do you consider mediocrity? I've seen this many times on StingTalk where one or more of us will say we won't accept mediocrity. What are we actually saying? Is mediocrity anything less that an ACC championship? Is mediocrity anything less than beating UGA? Is mediocrity anything less than a MNC? :dunno:

Back