You Can Succeed in Recruiting at Tech

What do you consider mediocrity? I've seen this many times on StingTalk where one or more of us will say we won't accept mediocrity. What are we actually saying? Is mediocrity anything less that an ACC championship? Is mediocrity anything less than beating UGA? Is mediocrity anything less than a MNC? :dunno:

Mediocrity is losing to your bigest rival every year and becoming irrelevant in your own market. We don't need to be challenging for a MNC every year, but we need to be competitive with them and everyone else on the schedule. Tech has the potential to be a better program and last year certainly couldn't have been as good as it gets. This program needs some excitement and a reason for people to pay attention. Why play the game if we don't aim to be better than that?

Modern-day coaches have proven it's possible to succeed in recruiting at Tech. If it wasn't, we couldn't have won conference and national championships in football, been to two Final Fours in basketball, and played in baseball's College World Series, all since 1990.

Baseball and basketball recruiting is very different, mainly because (i) the teams are significantly smaller (and thus exceptions carry more weight); (ii) the ACC is much more highly regarded in those sports; (iii) our facilities and fanbase are much closer to top notch (as opposed to football, where our stadium barely seats more than half as many fans as the marquee rivals, yet rarely sells out); (iv) our coaching staffs have been closer to what is seen as elite; and (v) we have had substantially prolonged, recent success that has kept us considered a major program.

If you want to look specifically at football, I don't think you could say that our 1990 team had particularly amazing recruits. We had one dude get drafted in 1990 in the 11th round. We had two people get drafted in 1991, in the 10th round and in the 7th round. We had five people get drafted in 1992, but only Marco Coleman, Mike Mooney, and Ken Swilling were drafted in the first 7 rounds. 1993 went back to two players (one of whom was a kicker) and we had 2 fifth rounders in 1994.

In fact, the talent on our 1990 team was so poorly regarded that we tied with Colorado despite their 2 losses and fifth down play for a win. If our recruiting truly was that good, you would have seen a longer period of success rather than a one year spike in 1990, surrounded by a few good seasons.

In fact, the talent on our 1990 team was so poorly regarded that we tied with Colorado despite their 1 loss and 1 tie and fifth down play for a win. If our recruiting truly was that good, you would have seen a longer period of success rather than a one year spike in 1990, surrounded by a few good seasons.

ftfy, they were 11-1-1

There is a dichotomy of beliefs wrt GT recruiting. One side feels GT should be able to land almost any ESPN top-300 player with the right recruiting talent in our coaches, athletic standards and limited curriculum be damned. The other side feels said restrictions are significant enough handcuffs that we should remove the handcuffs and level the playing field.

It's almost like religion or politics. You have your beliefs and cant be convinced otherwise.

We can't recruit like Bama, LSU, etc but we can do better than we do. We can do a lot better job selling what we have to offer. It's up to Johnson.

We can do a lot better job selling what we have to offer.

What are we not doing that we should do? No speculation here. Facts only.

I'm only writing in size 7 for the hell of it. I think it gets lonely b/c no one ever uses it

What are we not doing that we should do? No speculation here. Facts only.

I'm only writing in size 7 for the hell of it. I think it gets lonely b/c no one ever uses it

Offer early. Offer open ships+3.

regarding selling the program

Make recruits feel like they will be important, borderline essential, to our success whether it is true or not. An idea as small as a "dream team" can get these kids to come to GT. The 2007 class came here because they wanted to win together and do something special at GT in the same vein. This is a very important selling tool and you can look around and see similar recruiting tactics used at Vanderbilt, UGA, Clemson, Oregon etc. Every kid wants to feel important, and most don't want to be told they will be a system player.

PJ is a great coach, but I do not think he does a great job of making GT seem attractive to better recruits. We have great facilities, great tradition, and we are in a great location. He needs to bring some coaches on staff who are energetic and he needs someone who can relate to these kids. I hope Ted Roof can get some recruits excited about GT because Al Groh was clearly having some trouble.

Make recruits feel like they will be important, borderline essential, to our success whether it is true or not.

show me where we don't do this

An idea as small as a "dream team" can get these kids to come to GT. The 2007 class came here because they wanted to win together and do something special at GT in the same vein.

is this an inference?

This is a very important selling tool and you can look around and see similar recruiting tactics used at Vanderbilt, UGA, Clemson, Oregon etc. Every kid wants to feel important, and most don't want to be told they will be a system player.

gim|mick offense complaint in disguise?

PJ is a great coach, but I do not think he does a great job of making GT seem attractive to better recruits.

Why? b/c we don't land top 25 recruiting classes like we always used to? What is he saying/not saying that you would like him to say/not say. No speculation about what he says or doesn't say. Factual statements. Same thing for do/don't do

We have great facilities, great tradition, and we are in a great location.

true

He needs to bring some coaches on staff who are energetic and he needs someone who can relate to these kids. I hope Ted Roof can get some recruits excited about GT because Al Groh was clearly having some trouble.

Kids identified with Groh so well that they considered him a father figure. Show me where Al was having trouble getting kids excited about GT? Something other than "we didn't land top 25 recruiting classes like we always used to" and no speculation.

see above

FACT: If a kid isn't on track to take Advanced Algebra/Trig his Senior Year in HS we CANNOT recruit him. We could in the old days because we used to offer remedial classes that were not for credit. But now the Faculty will not allow it. If a SA cannot walk in and start taking our lowest level of math, Calc 1, we cannot recruit them. Period.

Now do you have any idea how limiting this is? Especially in the State of GA where for the most part public education really sucks! Article recently where the Valedictorian from a Northside ATL HS was off to Yale whereas the Valedictorian from nowhere south GA HS was having a problem her freshman year at a technical college.

We have to go to nation wide recruiting to get the quality AND brains. For years it seemed like we had a pipeline for LBs from PA. CPJ HAS to drop his GA centric recruiting. The kids just ain't getting the education they need to play at Tech.

see above

is this an inference?

No the players from that class said it numerous times during the 2009 season as they won the ACC and 11 games.

gim|mick offense complaint in disguise?

Not exactly. The spread could be considered a ööööööö offense, but Chip Kelly and Urban Meyer were able to get blue chips recruits lining up to be a system player. I guess it is ESPN's fault right?

Why? b/c we don't land top 25 recruiting classes like we always used to? What is he saying/not saying that you would like him to say/not say. No speculation about what he says or doesn't say. Factual statements. Same thing for do/don't do.

It is my opinion. The basis of my opinion is the fact that he did not turn any of his early success into recruiting momentum. Winning should cause more recruits to look your way if you can sell to them what you are building.

Kids identified with Groh so well that they considered him a father figure. Show me where Al was having trouble getting kids excited about GT? Something other than "we didn't land top 25 recruiting classes like we always used to" and no speculation.

The guy was supposed to be a genius at running the 3-4 but could not land any of the top DTs that he recruited. He developed some pretty good linebackers and recruited some talented DBs, but obviously the top DTs were not buying what he was selling.

Last edited:
You know we suck at recruiting when a guy with 33 posts in 11 years feels compelled to come on here and imply that we can do better.

Recruiting for football vs (basketball & baseball) is very different for many reasons:
a) As has been stated, the #'s are far different
b) Likewise, the demographics
c) Perhaps the biggest issue with football recruiting versus the other 2 though is the varying levels of competition. My next door neighbor is a football coach; I am a baseball coach.

As we were talking one day, he pointed out to me that college basketball coaches pretty much know who the best players are...because they see them play in summer league AAU baseball. Similarly, Danny Hall need drive no further than East Cobb on any given Saturday and can watch baseball teams from Ga, Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona (ie the states producing the top baseball talent in the country as a rule) all playing in a Perfect Game showcase with 120 teams playing against each other.

In football, you have kids who win a state championship and appear to be a stud playing against class A ball players. Then, you have kids who play against Florida 5-A competition and face linemen who average the same size as a decent Division 1 college team; so you have to try & project which kids will outperform the others. It is a very inexact science.

Your degree has very little to do with our football program and that is just another excuse. We should want to be good because there is no reason to play the game if that is not the goal.

This.

GT athletics needs to öööö or get off the pot.

Also, I get tired of hearing the young alumni bleating about the holy sanctity of their degrees and how that sacred trust would be broken by the addition of a wider section of majors. The work we all put into surviving GT isn't affected in the slightest by anything that happens at GT after we're gone.

Your marketability and earning power is continually (re)defined by your current skill set and your social skills, not by the piece of paper that you earned five, 10, or however many years ago.

TLDR, you have self-esteem issues if you think GT admitting marginal student-athletes affects you in the slightest.

We don't recruit Georgia well because we yearly lose to ugag. We can be a 10 win team each year and will still be considered 2nd rate as long as we don't win more in that series. It is possible to pull a good class every now and again but we aren't going to do it consistently. Recruiting players from outside the south is a great idea but the bottom line is that .... the better teams in the SEC beat other teams that recruit those same players. Like it or not ugag is one of the better SEC teams. The tallent is in the southeast. To find a way to beat ugag more than once a decade GT is going to have to get good players. 1) Find a way to be competitive with ugag for a couple of years. 2) Figure out a way to bend a hair on the academics so that it would be more than a flash in the pan.
There are thousands of Georgians that want an instate school to spend money on other than georgy. No reason GT cannot be that team.

We don't recruit Georgia well because we yearly lose to ugag. We can be a 10 win team each year and will still be considered 2nd rate as long as we don't win more in that series. It is possible to pull a good class every now and again but we aren't going to do it consistently. Recruiting players from outside the south is a great idea but the bottom line is that .... the better teams in the SEC beat other teams that recruit those same players. Like it or not ugag is one of the better SEC teams. The tallent is in the southeast. To find a way to beat ugag more than once a decade GT is going to have to get good players. 1) Find a way to be competitive with ugag for a couple of years. 2) Figure out a way to bend a hair on the academics so that it would be more than a flash in the pan.
There are thousands of Georgians that want an instate school to spend money on other than georgy. No reason GT cannot be that team.

I agree to all of this, but the question is how we beat Georgia.

Sabotage?

I agree to all of this, but the question is how we beat Georgia.

Sabotage?

Have to find a way to turn years like 06, 09, 10 into wins. 06 was a lack of O imagination. 09 and 10 our D sucked but we had better players than the results on the field.

Back