Your honest opinion/ regarding recruiting

I love how many people totally trash the past 7 years over a bunch of unproven 18 yo kids. Nevermind the 3 ACCCGs, one championship, two orange bowl appearances... Yep, our recruiting sucks donkey d@&* because we didn't get any 5 stars this year. LETS CAN EVERYONE and bring in that natty winner of a coach that's beating down our door to come coach at GT. CPJ IS COVERING UP HIS S$@&&Y RECRUITING WITH HIS öööööööY OFFENSE!! GENIUS!!

Winner. öööö you haters.

It is utterly amazing to me that just about every poster assumes there are only two coaching possibilities for GT in the universe, Gailey or Johnson. Folks, there are choices out there that could do much, much better than either of these choices.

The best coach for us would be Trump. He would run the best offense, hire the best assistants, and recruit the best players. He would only recruit the 5 star guys (why waste time recruiting 3 star guys). Look we would win so much we would get tired of winning. It would be the best.

How many times can we have this same thread before people get tired of saying the same things?

What kinda offense did Gailey run and how was his recruiting?

Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Jonathan Dwyer, Michael Johnson, Vance Walker, Josh Nesbitt, Morgan Burnett, Dawan Landry and a few others say hello.

Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Jonathan Dwyer, Michael Johnson, Vance Walker, Josh Nesbitt, Morgan Burnett, Dawan Landry and a few others say hello.

We don't need talent, we won the Orange bowl remember...

Curious to read your list. Who ya got? Or just full of öööö per usual.

Off the top if my head, first choice would be Brent Venables - Clemson DC, second choice would be Kendall Briles - Baylor OC.

I don't think it's our offense as much as the perception of life at State U versus life at GT.

GT simply isn't for everyone. No matter how much we wish it was on one day every February.

Pretty much. We get the kids that want to come to here... As we all learned, if you don't want to be at Tech, it won't be long before you aren't.

And CPJ was the one capable of winning anything of note with any of that talent.

Wasn't the whole rationale for hiring Johnson the difficulty of recruiting to GT (i.e. if he can win with Navy talent he can win with GT talent)?

Seems pretty obvious.

At some point more people will likely understand that GT is the problem (the admin) rather than the coach.

This discussion comes up every February. Recruiting is basically the same save an outlier year here or there for the last 20 years.

How many years is it going to take for so many smart people to reach this conclusion? :rolleyes:

I agree with gt98. At the end of the day the school is a problem

which is why when you get the recruits, you can't have crappy assistant coaching (and in our case a coordinator)...of course you can argue that too is a AA problem and school problem since we have little assistant coach budget....

we need to maximize what we get with coaching. On O the TO can help us do that. The D is a dumpster fire.

But, with all that said, there is no reason to go unfilled in ships. Its a joke and poor planning by the staff again. all too often.

It is utterly amazing to me that just about every poster assumes there are only two coaching possibilities for GT in the universe, Gailey or Johnson. Folks, there are choices out there that could do much, much better than either of these choices.

+1. TECH has played between the tackles football and played it well on both sides of the ball. Just been a long time ago. The issue is coaching and recruiting. It's not style of offense.

We don't need talent, we won the Orange bowl remember...

I don't think anyone here would turn down more 4* recruits, we definitely should take all the talent we can get... the point is that we're ranked ~54 right now, which is not much different than where we typically are (minus a few good years sprinkled in). Picked up a few strong DL additions, which was desperately needed, plus another contender for QB after JT5.

Multiple years in a row of 3 win seasons will change my sentiment, but we're not there yet.

The momentum of the Tech academic experience is making it more competitive. Athletes get little recognition from the general student population for athletics sake. This is the opposite direction from the schools that have football as their signature attribute.

I agree with gt98. At the end of the day the school is a problem

which is why when you get the recruits, you can't have crappy assistant coaching (and in our case a coordinator)...of course you can argue that too is a AA problem and school problem since we have little assistant coach budget....

we need to maximize what we get with coaching. On O the TO can help us do that. The D is a dumpster fire.

But, with all that said, there is no reason to go unfilled in ships. Its a joke and poor planning by the staff again. all too often.

Did not filling all our scholarships help us land Tashard Choice and Anthony Allen? (maybe some others I'm not thinking of)

We're now losing to Puke and Weak Forest in recruiting and the Johnson-first, Tech-second crowd here will somehow justify that. :rotfl:

For whatever the reason, #65 in recruiting and near the bottom of the ACC rankings shouldn't be acceptable to any real fan. Welcome to mediocrity.

My opinion - the TO certainly isn't helping recruiting. We're already only able to attract a specific type of athlete. The TO only filters that group a bit more. It's clearly not helping D recruiting either.

Did not filling all our scholarships help us land Tashard Choice and Anthony Allen? (maybe some others I'm not thinking of)

Yes but 33 wants CPJ to be Ms. Cleo and know months and months in advance who is going to fail out, leave, quit, etc. around May the following year.

You can't guess which positions are going to be hit worst by attrition to properly account for it as he suggests.

We're now losing to Puke and Weak Forest in recruiting and the Johnson-first, Tech-second crowd here will somehow justify that. :rotfl:

For whatever the reason, #65 in recruiting and near the bottom of the ACC rankings shouldn't be acceptable to any real fan. Welcome to mediocrity.

My opinion - the TO certainly isn't helping recruiting. We're already only able to attract a specific type of athlete. The TO only filters that group a bit more. It's clearly not helping D recruiting either.

The point is we should be making program decisions based on performance, not recruiting rankings. IMO performance under the current regime has been strong, so I'm willing to let a year like last year slide. Multiple losing seasons is unnaceptable and will change my opinion. But I'm not going to dictate success based on recruiting rankings.

Back