Your honest opinion/ regarding recruiting

Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Jonathan Dwyer, Michael Johnson, Vance Walker, Josh Nesbitt, Morgan Burnett, Dawan Landry and a few others say hello.

they lost a lot of games...

How many years is it going to take for so many smart people to reach this conclusion? :rolleyes:

Dunno. Judging by threads years old getting bumped that contain the same wailing and gnashing of teeth, probably never for some. :wink:

I agree with gt98. At the end of the day the school is a problem

which is why when you get the recruits, you can't have crappy assistant coaching (and in our case a coordinator)...of course you can argue that too is a AA problem and school problem since we have little assistant coach budget....

we need to maximize what we get with coaching. On O the TO can help us do that. The D is a dumpster fire.

But, with all that said, there is no reason to go unfilled in ships. Its a joke and poor planning by the staff again. all too often.

I agree w/this.

While GT simply will never recruit at a level to make message board posters happy save an outlier year here or there, I agree w/33 Jacket that it feels like the staff isn't maximizing what it can be doing. Staff seems to do a poor job planning for yearly attrition. Always having a few schollies unfilled is self imposed probation that needs to stop. No, handing out 'ships to anyone isn't the answer--plan better during the recruiting process.

The point is we should be making program decisions based on performance, not recruiting rankings. IMO performance under the current regime has been strong, so I'm willing to let a year like last year slide. Multiple losing seasons is unnaceptable and will change my opinion. But I'm not going to dictate success based on recruiting rankings.

Quit with your logic and patience. What we need is more reactionary whining... More trashing of the incoming recruits without seeing them play. More "we need to bring in 2 more warm bodies to fill the arbitrary quota that I want to see met!"

Dunno. Judging by threads years old getting bumped that contain the same wailing and gnashing of teeth, probably never for some. :wink:

I agree w/this.

While GT simply will never recruit at a level to make message board posters happy save an outlier year here or there, I agree w/33 Jacket that it feels like the staff isn't maximizing what it can be doing. Staff seems to do a poor job planning for yearly attrition. Always having a few schollies unfilled is self imposed probation that needs to stop. No, handing out 'ships to anyone isn't the answer--plan better during the recruiting process.

So we should oversign, eh?

So we should oversign, eh?

It isn't oversigning--unless a kid is being run off or deferred. That hasn't happened. GT will have attrition between now and the preseason camp, like every year. This is routine with collegiate athletics, but GT does a poor job of planning for it.

Having 3-5 ships not used every year hurts building the depth that's critical for GT to have a chance against the better teams on the schedule. Would have been nice to play some other kids with experience this year when the injuries kicked in instead of walk-ons, right?

It isn't oversigning--unless a kid is being run off or deferred. That hasn't happened. GT will have attrition between now and the preseason camp, like every year. This is routine with collegiate athletics, but GT does a poor job of planning for it.

Having 3-5 ships not used every year hurts building the depth that's critical for GT to have a chance against the better teams on the schedule. Would have been nice to play some other kids with experience this year when the injuries kicked in instead of walk-ons, right?

Who's leaving? What position? How many? Most wait around spring ball to make such a decision. CPJ would have to know those answers many moons ago to properly plan for it.

This suggestion y'all are making, which is repeated ad nauseam, is dumb.

My honest opinion is "Welcome to the flats"

Our recruits choose a school that is among the best in the United States academically. It is a school that will help make them successful later in life. It is a school that regular students clamor to get admission. You are smarter and have greater potential for success than a kid that chooses a lesser school.

I agree with welcoming the ones who sign and resist too much negative commentary about the quality of a class. But, overall I would say that for the majority of the recruiting cycles with this staff we are bringing in classes that are in the bottom third of the conference and sometimes not even in the top half of the nation. That makes winning big very difficult. You better be outstanding in player development to win big with this recruiting. So, welcome to Georgia Tech, go to work, and prove the experts wrong over the next four to five years.

What's reality here? What do ugag, CU, Miami, and VT do? What are their numbers vs ours? (question, not a statement). Anyone got the actual numbers?

What's reality here? What do ugag, CU, Miami, and VT do? What are their numbers vs ours? (question, not a statement). Anyone got the actual numbers?

Not sure if final, but it looks like: ugag-19, Clemson-18, Miami-17, and VT-18. We signed 18.

4 or 5 years combined would be interesting.

No sense of historical perspective on the board today. Who/what are we? Let's look back at the last 50 years. We are the roller coaster of college football in the Southeast, maybe the nation. Nobody else that I can think of has ever gone from 2-9 to a MNC to 1-10 in 8 years. In the span of two recruiting classes!! The guys that came in after a 2-9 season won a MNC. The guys that came in after winning a MNC went 1-10. In our down years, we are going to pop some Top 10ish team that we have no business being on the field with squarely between the eyes. Just ask Clemson, UVA, ND, NCSt, FSU, Auburn... Our best teams are going to puke up one to two absolutely mysterious losses. We follow up great seasons with awful ones and miserable seasons with miracles. We suck as a favorite going into a season. We have amazing streaks/statistics - best 3rd down conversion rate ever; 5 straight games (and 7 in a season I think) where we sack the qb, pick up his fumble and score with it; the bowl streak that just ended was longer than Bama's, ND's, Southern Cal's. Our players win national awards like O'Brien, Ray Guy, and Biletnikoff. We've come second on the Heisman a couple of times. We've had National Coaches of the Year both head and coordinator. And we've done all that with no easy majors to hide players. Friends of mine from other schools refuse to believe the classes our players attend even after I show them the catalog of courses they have to take. They just say it's not possible, and we are hiding them somewhere else. These things have held true from Dodd to Carson to Fulcher to Rodgers to Curry to Ross to Lewis to O'Leary to Gailey to Johnson.

We are not a factory school, but ask the fans of any other non-factory school do they have a record of accomplishment like Tech's. If you want Bama's or ugs's results, you have to become Bama or uga, and that's just not going to happen. The class just signed will in all probability fit into the Tech historical pattern. I expect they will probably play in an Orange Bowl in their career, and will also probably spend one Christmas sitting home. We are Georgia Tech. We can do that!!

No sense of historical perspective on the board today. Who/what are we? Let's look back at the last 50 years. We are the roller coaster of college football in the Southeast, maybe the nation. Nobody else that I can think of has ever gone from 2-9 to a MNC to 1-10 in 8 years. In the span of two recruiting classes!! The guys that came in after a 2-9 season won a MNC. The guys that came in after winning a MNC went 1-10. In our down years, we are going to pop some Top 10ish team that we have no business being on the field with squarely between the eyes. Just ask Clemson, UVA, ND, NCSt, FSU, Auburn... Our best teams are going to puke up one to two absolutely mysterious losses. We follow up great seasons with awful ones and miserable seasons with miracles. We suck as a favorite going into a season. We have amazing streaks/statistics - best 3rd down conversion rate ever; 5 straight games (and 7 in a season I think) where we sack the qb, pick up his fumble and score with it; the bowl streak that just ended was longer than Bama's, ND's, Southern Cal's. Our players win national awards like O'Brien, Ray Guy, and Biletnikoff. We've come second on the Heisman a couple of times. We've had National Coaches of the Year both head and coordinator. And we've done all that with no easy majors to hide players. Friends of mine from other schools refuse to believe the classes our players attend even after I show them the catalog of courses they have to take. They just say it's not possible, and we are hiding them somewhere else. These things have held true from Dodd to Carson to Fulcher to Rodgers to Curry to Ross to Lewis to O'Leary to Gailey to Johnson.

We are not a factory school, but ask the fans of any other non-factory school do they have a record of accomplishment like Tech's. If you want Bama's or ugs's results, you have to become Bama or uga, and that's just not going to happen. The class just signed will in all probability fit into the Tech historical pattern. I expect they will probably play in an Orange Bowl in their career, and will also probably spend one Christmas sitting home. We are Georgia Tech. We can do that!!

This post is not candyass and whiny enough...it needs to be reviewed by the moderator and deleted.

Which programs at our level hired them as HCs and what did they pay them?

Don't quite understand the logic of that question. If they had already been hired by someone as HCs, they probably wouldn't be on this list as candidates. Or are you saying that we should never hire an HC who hasn't already been an HC?

+1 bingo jack

And CPJ was the one capable of winning anything of note with any of that talent.

Johnson is the ONLY coach in the entire world capable of winning anything of note with that talent?
:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

And for those of you who apparently think I'm defending Gailey, I'm not. I wanted that bastard fired well before he actually was.

To have that kind of talent available and not win more than he did just goes to show how bad he was a HC. However, his recruiting of those guys versus our current players is an indictment that our current coaching staff is not recruiting at the same level.

And all of those guys were not 2007 recruits either. Many were, but Gailey did bring in guys like Michael Johnson and Calvin Johnson into the program. Those are the types of game changers we just aren't getting right now.

Don't quite understand the logic of that question. If they had already been hired by someone as HCs, they probably wouldn't be on this list as candidates. Or are you saying that we should never hire an HC who hasn't already been an HC?

Well, it goes like this: He is recommending ass't coaches---there have been several HC openings as of late (2-3) years---did a P-5 program hire them? (if not, then the recommendation is suspect-yes?)---if they were hired by a major, then at what salary (we are broke, right?), so if they hired them at a big salary, what we would we be able to offer? Pretty logical, huh?

A first rate, legaljacketesque post! Thanks, Killick

Back