Your honest opinion/ regarding recruiting

Johnson is the ONLY coach in the entire world capable of winning anything of note with that talent?
:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

And for those of you who apparently think I'm defending Gailey, I'm not. I wanted that bastard fired well before he actually was.

To have that kind of talent available and not win more than he did just goes to show how bad he was a HC. However, his recruiting of those guys versus our current players is an indictment that our current coaching staff is not recruiting at the same level.

And all of those guys were not 2007 recruits either. Many were, but Gailey did bring in guys like Michael Johnson and Calvin Johnson into the program. Those are the types of game changers we just aren't getting right now.
Michael Johnson wasn't a blue chip prospect. He was a tall skinny TE with offers from Clemson, Purdue, Louisville, and Vandy.

Jordan Woods, by comparison, is a 4 star defensive end with offers from Florida, FSU, UGAy, Miami, UNC, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia.

I said this on another thread, but if people would just take the time to look at the individual footage of these players, you'll see the athletic potential. I watched all 18 videos and there was only one player whose montage I found to be "meh". There is easily enough athletic ability in this class to make for some excellent players IF other intangibles are there.

No sense of historical perspective on the board today. Who/what are we? Let's look back at the last 50 years. We are the roller coaster of college football in the Southeast, maybe the nation. Nobody else that I can think of has ever gone from 2-9 to a MNC to 1-10 in 8 years. In the span of two recruiting classes!! The guys that came in after a 2-9 season won a MNC. The guys that came in after winning a MNC went 1-10. In our down years, we are going to pop some Top 10ish team that we have no business being on the field with squarely between the eyes. Just ask Clemson, UVA, ND, NCSt, FSU, Auburn... Our best teams are going to puke up one to two absolutely mysterious losses. We follow up great seasons with awful ones and miserable seasons with miracles. We suck as a favorite going into a season. We have amazing streaks/statistics - best 3rd down conversion rate ever; 5 straight games (and 7 in a season I think) where we sack the qb, pick up his fumble and score with it; the bowl streak that just ended was longer than Bama's, ND's, Southern Cal's. Our players win national awards like O'Brien, Ray Guy, and Biletnikoff. We've come second on the Heisman a couple of times. We've had National Coaches of the Year both head and coordinator. And we've done all that with no easy majors to hide players. Friends of mine from other schools refuse to believe the classes our players attend even after I show them the catalog of courses they have to take. They just say it's not possible, and we are hiding them somewhere else. These things have held true from Dodd to Carson to Fulcher to Rodgers to Curry to Ross to Lewis to O'Leary to Gailey to Johnson.

We are not a factory school, but ask the fans of any other non-factory school do they have a record of accomplishment like Tech's. If you want Bama's or ugs's results, you have to become Bama or uga, and that's just not going to happen. The class just signed will in all probability fit into the Tech historical pattern. I expect they will probably play in an Orange Bowl in their career, and will also probably spend one Christmas sitting home. We are Georgia Tech. We can do that!!

Thank you for blunting these whinny bitches.

I don't remember us having any top 10 recruiting classes prior to 1990, maybe we had a top 20 class somewhere in there; but I seriously doubt it. In fact I remember Coach Ross talking about how badly we had been out recruited the whole time he had been at GT, so he didn't feel like we had much of a chance against UGA (yes, he was dripping with sarcasm). You have to wait and see what these guys do on the field. I look at the roster we have going into this season, and if someone steps up and does a mediocre job coaching the OL then I'm fairly optimistic.

I said this on another thread, but if people would just take the time to look at the individual footage of these players, you'll see the athletic potential. I watched all 18 videos and there was only one player whose montage I found to be "meh". There is easily enough athletic ability in this class to make for some excellent players IF other intangibles are there.

Wow! 17 of 18 players had highlight reels that contained highlights! I'm 100% certain that no other team we're competing against can say that!

Wow! 17 of 18 players had highlight reels that contained highlights! I'm 100% certain that no other team we're competing against can say that!

And remarkably, none of their films included clips of them being unable to block, get off a block, throwing an interception, fumbling the ball or being stuffed for a loss behind the line of scrimmage.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched any of the videos.

And remarkably, none of their films included clips of them being unable to block, get off a block, throwing an interception, fumbling the ball or being stuffed for a loss behind the line of scrimmage.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched any of the videos.

Goob

Having a little experience in this, I always included a couple of F*ck ups in Harrison's HUDL acct to send out just to show some of his weaknesses. I'm sure the OP's remarks are TIC but I'm amazed that some of the videos that go out.

Having a little experience in this, I always included a couple of F*ck ups in Harrison's HUDL acct to send out just to show some of his weaknesses. I'm sure the OP's remarks are TIC but I'm amazed that some of the videos that go out.

Most here would start showing their kids warts, since you're their god, but what a ööööed up parent you must be to degrade your sons profile.

I don't remember us having any top 10 recruiting classes prior to 1990, maybe we had a top 20 class somewhere in there; but I seriously doubt it. In fact I remember Coach Ross talking about how badly we had been out recruited the whole time he had been at GT, so he didn't feel like we had much of a chance against UGA (yes, he was dripping with sarcasm). You have to wait and see what these guys do on the field. I look at the roster we have going into this season, and if someone steps up and does a mediocre job coaching the OL then I'm fairly optimistic.

I'm not old enough to speak on this but I've seen it written multiple times that Pepper Rodgers was a monster recruiter.

Pepper brought in some really good players. He had a terrific personality and was a great recruiting head coach. His recruiting classes had some really terrific talents that were highly regarded like Lowe from Valdosta, Ivery from Thomson, Hill (Newnan) and Harris from Americus. We had some city of Atlanta kids like Reggie Wilkes (Southwest) and Lucius Sanford (West Fulton) that he recruited who were really outstanding defensive players. Mike Kelly was a good QB signee. However, his classes lacked depth overall. When Curry took over the cupboard was pretty bare. Some of the players who helped Pepper's teams early on were recruited by Fulcher or even Carson in one instance - Sims, Myers, Head, Tierney, Raible, Robinson, Daykin, to name a few.

Is Dabo Pepper's illegitimate son? Now that I think about it, they do remind me of each other quite a bit.

Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Jonathan Dwyer, Michael Johnson, Vance Walker, Josh Nesbitt, Morgan Burnett, Dawan Landry and a few others say hello.
9 guys over a 6-year coaching tenure....

Only engineers would argue the marginal differences in recruiting over the last 2 coaching regimes.

It should be 4.30475

No, it is 4.30476

Come on guys, macro level evaluation - we are what we are and that's pretty much what we've always been.

What is important is who can do more with what we get?

Johnson is the ONLY coach in the entire world capable of winning anything of note with that talent?
:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

And for those of you who apparently think I'm defending Gailey, I'm not. I wanted that bastard fired well before he actually was.

To have that kind of talent available and not win more than he did just goes to show how bad he was a HC. However, his recruiting of those guys versus our current players is an indictment that our current coaching staff is not recruiting at the same level.

And all of those guys were not 2007 recruits either. Many were, but Gailey did bring in guys like Michael Johnson and Calvin Johnson into the program. Those are the types of game changers we just aren't getting right now.
who gives a öööö? Johnson has two 11-win seasons while coaching us, including a top 10 finish.

I don't think there are any coaches out there who can come in here and get us to bigger and better things than what CPJ has done. there are too many internal obstacles in place, and if you don't at least acknowledge that then this discussion is pointless

who gives a öööö? Johnson has two 11-win seasons while coaching us, including a top 10 finish.

I don't think there are any coaches out there who can come in here and get us to bigger and better things than what CPJ has done. there are too many internal obstacles in place, and if you don't at least acknowledge that then this discussion is pointless

Good post Ish. Even if Gailey and Johnson wind up with the same average wins, Johnson's standard deviation is much higher, and that is where we are going to get our jollies. I'll take an Orange Bowl and a Christmas at home over two Emerald Bowls (or even two Chick-fil-a bowls) in a heartbeat. I think there is a reasonably high chance that CPJ puts a season together that gets us into the playoffs, and who knows what could happen then.

Back