Your honest opinion/ regarding recruiting

My honest opinion is I honestly don't care. I've seen teams full of two and three star talent all over the country compete with mega factories. There are just too many variables to get really wrapped up in it in my opinion.

I don't think the best programs are what they are because they always recruit well, I think they just are what they are at this point and high schoolers will always want to go to those schools.

Last edited:
And with all of that talent he won 7 games a year, every year except 2006.

Let's say that Johnson isn't as good of a recruiter. I don't necessarily agree (I think our talent is on par with historical averages for GT), but whatever. So what? Johnson has an Orange Bowl win. Another Orange Bowl visit. Three ACC:CG games. A peach bowl. TWO wins over UGA.

so honestly, who cares?

Holy öööö. Could you be more stupid?
I'm not comparing Gailey as a coach. This thread was about RECRUITING. I'm saying Gailey recruited better.

But if you want to compare coaches, ok fine. Let's compare CPJ to Bobby Ross. I'll take one national championship and a couple of decent seasons over 30 11 win seasons.

I'm not comparing Gailey as a coach. This thread was about RECRUITING. I'm saying Gailey recruited better.

But if you want to compare coaches, ok fine. Let's compare CPJ to Bobby Ross. I'll take one national championship and a couple of decent seasons over 30 11 win seasons.

In terms of recruiting service rankings, Gailey had 1 good year of recruiting, and also got Calvin Johnson as a gift from the sky in an otherwise mediocre recruiting class.

In terms of recruiting service rankings, I would put our 2015 class (last year's not this year's) up against Gailey's best class.

If you're arguing outside of recruiting service rankings, then we have no point of comparison to know how good this class is.

In terms of recruiting service rankings, Gailey had 1 good year of recruiting, and also got Calvin Johnson as a gift from the sky in an otherwise mediocre recruiting class.

In terms of recruiting service rankings, I would put our 2015 class (last year's not this year's) up against Gailey's best class.

If you're arguing outside of recruiting service rankings, then we have no point of comparison to know how good this class is.

Now that's a cogent argument. And you're right. I'm not using recruiting rankings.

I'm going by number of players in the pros and the quality of those players....based on their longevity and playing time in the pros.

And FWIW, I'm not arguing to fire Johnson. I'm merely talking about recruiting and saying I believe our "1-8" players as Johnson calls them are not as good as the "1-8" players we had when Gailey was here. Whether that's a function of talent evaluation, coaching those players up, ability to sell the program, etc is open for discussion.

Now that's a cogent argument. And you're right. I'm not using recruiting rankings.

We literally know zero information about this incoming recruiting class other than recruiting service rankings, so if you are attempting to discuss this class in your comparison framework, your argument fails before it even gets started. The class could be full of Phillip Wheelers. We don't know.

We will know more about last year's class in two years.

I can see a potentially cohesive argument that some of our middling classes were shallow, but we all already know that, and we think that CPJ made some headway in cleaning that up.

The best coach for us would be Trump. He would run the best offense, hire the best assistants, and recruit the best players. He would only recruit the 5 star guys (why waste time recruiting 3 star guys). Look we would win so much we would get tired of winning. It would be the best.
And we would get new facilities. Paid for by U[sic]GA, of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

This is revisionist history bullshit. Gailey did not recruit better. He did get some very top talent, but he surrounded them with division 1aa players. For every 4 star Gailey got there were six 2 stars we recruited out from Louiaiana Lafeyette.

His offensive line recruiting was downright heinous.

I'm going by number of players in the pros and the quality of those players....based on their longevity and playing time in the pros.

to use your verbiage:

COULD YOU BE ANY MORE STUPID????

why would you use the NFL as your basis? we should evaluate their performance in COLLEGE since that is why we are signing them

to evaluate them based on their NFL work means nothing for TECH

to use your verbiage:

COULD YOU BE ANY MORE STUPID????

why would you use the NFL as your basis? we should evaluate their performance in COLLEGE since that is why we are signing them

to evaluate them based on their NFL work means nothing for TECH

I can see his point if you accept we need to recruit players with NFL aspirations.

This is revisionist history bullshit. Gailey did not recruit better. He did get some very top talent, but he surrounded them with division 1aa players. For every 4 star Gailey got there were six 2 stars we recruited out from Louiaiana Lafeyette.

His offensive line recruiting was downright heinous.

+1
The Gailey vs. Johnson argument has been debated as nauseam on this board. Gailey needed to go and a vast majority of tech fans supported that. Johnson isn't at that point. Focusing on one singular dimension (recruiting) and applying that to comprehensively judge CPJ is pointless.

I can see his point if you accept we need to recruit players with NFL aspirations.

i think our chances are much lower in signing guys that all think they will be NFL stars than guys that can be great college players but realize that making it in the NFL might not work out and therefor also should actually get a degree.

not even just because the NFL might not work out, just because they are curious, intelligent people

Dwyer had a crap NFL career, yet he was awesome for us
same with PJ Daniels, the walkon that became ACC leading rusher and was in the pros like maybe a year or two
Joe Hamilton NFL career? about the same as the guy that was here that transferred to Delaware

some of the same type of guys that are consistently derided on here, 2* and 3* guys that go to smaller schools somehow end up as 50% of the NFL rosters so what is his point?

when we go after those, then the coach is ridiculed yet they make up about 50% of NFL rosters
then we are supposed to go all-out on guys that everyone else is going after, without having to work in school and paying them too? then we complain when we cant land these guys

yet 50% of NFL rosters isnt those guys anyways.

so what is his point again?

Gailey and his recruits have the benefit of time. At the time, no one was hyped about Andrew Gardner. Or Vance Walker. But they played and developed and were drafted. Now you look back fondly on those classes but at the time the coaches were getting hammered for signing 2-stars.

Now you look back fondly on those classes but at the time the coaches were getting hammered for signing 2-stars.

Fondly? Go back and look at those classes more closely, specifically 2003 - 2006. There's a handful of contributors in each class. 2006, with a few exceptions, is particularly bad.

Bottom line is that neither CPJ nor Gailey are/were top recruiters. Not sure if we've ever had one as HC, unless it was perhaps Pepper. But we've had great recruiters as assistants, such as Giff Smith. If we had a couple like him now, we'd see a huge improvement.

Fondly? Go back and look at those classes more closely, specifically 2003 - 2006. There's a handful of contributors in each class. 2006, with a few exceptions, is particularly bad.

I was referring to people like Da Buzz who think Gailey was a great recruiter.

Back