You're Dan Rad .....

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
and "not shabby" seasons don't meet your criteria as acceptable, especially when they include a loss to your biggest rival and some internal problems (senior academics).

What do you tell your coach is the minmum acceptable W-L in 2007 for him to maintain his job? Or do you wait and see how things go with regard to injuries, off season incidents, etc.

I don't have any answers but our fan base is about as polarized as the American electorate. Does that even matter if you are AD? How long do you stay with a coach who seemingly leads you to water but won't let you drink?

I think that if we don't beat UGA next year some kind of change will need to be made if an ACC divisional championship isn't in hand to help offset that. Maybe not at the HC level but certainly somewhere in the coaching offices.

I am a Chan supporter and would absolutely hate to see us need to find another coach, but he has established certain trends which will be unacceptable over much longer.

If Chan doesn't improve next year, you'll see a change made. Improvement means better than 9-5 and a win over UGA.

Cyclejacket, you, a Chan supporter? Who woulda' thunk it?

Which of his established trends do you find most unacceptable?

Losses to UGA?:mad:
5 loss seasons?:mad:
Poor clock management in waning moments of ballgames?
Playing not to lose instead of playing to win?
Head scratching losses to inferior opponents? :mad:
Lack of adjustments during gametime?
Pig headed stubborness, regarding the QB position?:mad:

I say that he has to beat UGA.......only a ACC championsip and trip to a BCS bowl game would mitigate another loss to the dawgs.

A new OC is needed. Fire Nix, then together, Radakovich and Gailey find one. If no appreciable gains are made in '07, then Gailey loses his job.

I agree with BOR and mover. We HAVE to have that 10th win AND a win over UGA. The only way I can see the fan base accepting CG without a win over UGA is for them to win the national championship with ZERO losses AND for us to play in the Orange Bowl. Even then many may expect a win over UGA - and no one can blame them for that.

I've maintained my original opinion from 5+ years ago when CG was hired. I did not like the choice then and I can't say that my mind has been changed. That being said, I agree in that I would hate to see GT have to go out and search for a new head coach. Even if Ken Whisenhunt, my choice to be the next HC, were ready and willing, I would prefer that CG simply prove me wrong and get the job done. I would gladly say that I was wrong about the hire.

As for how Rad should handle the coaching situation and expectations for next year, I would not throw a "win 8 games of else" out there. Rad needs to keep a close eye on things and determine for himself what is and is not acceptable for the GT program.

It's his job to accurately access the program, not fans, alumni or alumni 'with influence', not GT65_UGA89, not cyclejacket, pocket_watch, ncjacket, TechGator, the 'mover or BORum (and certainly not geetee ;)) . But we're dam# well entitled to our opinions and each of us knows that our thoughts are what is best for the program. :thumbup:

I'll hope for the best next year, but if my expectations are not met, I can only hope that Rad's expectations are not being met either.

yellowbritchies said:
A new OC is needed. Fire Nix, then together, Radakovich and Gailey find one. If no appreciable gains are made in '07, then Gailey loses his job.

I'd be willing to get onboard with that, but I doubt it happens. There are plenty who still won't be happy until CG's head is on the perverbial platter. Again, I can't blame them right now - though I'd hate to see what we'd get as a new HC if we didn't wait one more year.

Beat Georgia and finish in the top 25. He said he was going to do that 5 years ago. He hasn't. I'd give him one more shot.

I might even give a pass on finishing in the top 25 if he beat Georgia.

GT65_UGA89 said:
I've maintained my original opinion from 5+ years ago when CG was hired. I did not like the choice then and I can't say that my mind has been changed.

:10:​

Whisenhunt is not the best choice. If we are going to talk coaches, then our sole focus needs to be on Paul Johnson at Navy and no one else. Although Whisenhunt would be a good selection, Paul Johnson has been around the college game a lot longer, knows how to coach in academic situations, and has ties to the State of Georgia. The only draw back is his style of offense which I think he would adapt to GT. If you saw the BC/Navy game, Navy was throwing the ball around pretty well.

knoxjacket said:
I might even give a pass on finishing in the top 25 if he beat Georgia.

I actually think we could end our bowl streak and everyone would be ok as long as we pulled off a win at UGA. That may be stretching it a bit, but it's not far off.

GTWannaBee said:
I actually think we could end our bowl streak and everyone would be ok as long as we pulled off a win at UGA. That may be stretching it a bit, but it's not far off.
Hmm...

Nah, unless it was like a 40 point win then I might reconsider.

GTWannaBee said:

The problem with ending the bowl streak, with the ACC locked into eight bowls, is that your more than likely looking at a losing season. I want to defeat UGA as much as the next guy, but I do not want to see the program slide to sub .500.

GT65_UGA89 said:
The problem with ending the bowl streak, with the ACC locked into eight bowls, is that your more than likely looking at a losing season. I want to defeat UGA as much as the next guy, but I do not want to see the program slide to sub .500.

Neither do I, and I may be WAY off base, but a win over UGA is more important to some than anything else. Then again, there are some who won't accept CG for anything less than a National Championship.

BOR, PJ has been calling the same plays from the same offense for the past 20+ years what make you think he would even consider changing his philosophy?

Drugs or insanity or sarcasm...

Friends and fellow GT fanatics, I have some news. If we go 9-5 and lose to UGA next year, Chan will continue to coach the Jackets. 8-5 and Chan will continue to coach the Jackets. The day that some of y'all wake up and realize that we will not fire a winning coach will be a happy day for me.

Granted, if we post a 7-6 record it might be possible. But IMHO it would have to be worse than it looks type with blowout losses and nailbiters over the pansies. Where it is obvious we are headed in the wrong direction.

I love the high expectations. I hope the team realizes after the Jacksonville scrimmage that we have the potential to win the MNC if we outwork our opponents in the next nine months. The 2007 team could really be special.

Anyway, I know it is 2007 and every bozo with a computer seems to think they could outcoach their team's HC. It is very fashionable. We are no different.

One last prediction. If something happens and we collapse next year and break the bowl streak, but Chan pulls another top 5ish class, Chan's seat will be plenty comfortable. Noisy internetters be darned.

Ricky, I don't necessarily think he would unless its stipulated up front that he BETTER. Thats one way around that. I just think that PJ is a very solid coach who brings a lot to the table. Besides, the offense he ran as Navy's OC back in the mid 90's was a pass oriented offense. And he's also coached some at Hawaii with their passing offense. I just think he's a coach that adapts his system to his players.

GTCrew, you must not have seen what happened to Glen Mason at Minnesota.

Back