You're Dan Rad .....

Re: I respectfully dissent.

B said:
2 points of your post concern me -

1) I am uncertain how a football coach influences the ranking of a school in the USN&WR

2) I am certain that IF, CCG were retained beyond 2008 (and possibly even 2007) without a win over Uga, the bottom would drop out in terms of fan interest/support. Whether this is important or not may be debatable to us here on these internet boards but when it influences revenue (contributions and ticket sales) it becomes important to the decision-makers. Like it or not, the GTAA is marketing a product and that product is dependent on the approval and support of the fanbase and/or general public.

The fb hc controls 85 scholarship players and 20 or so non-scholarship players. The USN&WR ranking looks at student retention rates and graduation rates in determining its rankings. ccg is said (and I have no reason not to believe that he is) to be bringing in sa's that can cut the academic mustard and graduate. He is not asking for concessions such as jock friendly majors, etc. GT will remain d-1a and will strive every year to win division, conference, and national championships in every sport we compete in, but will do so within the constraints of GT academics, including those that exceed the minimums set by the ncaa. As long as ccg (and ph, and dh, and mj, and all of the other GT hc's) is (are) willing to operate in that environment, he (they) will be in the favor of the administration.

As has been discussed, ccg plays not to lose, and is good at it. He is now 10 games over .500 (as I calculate it), and I expect that, given our competition in our division and some of the ooc scheduling we are doing, he will never have a season with less than 5 or 6 wins. (That is one of the many reasons that we will never willing leave the acc.) As long as he stays in that zone, and brings in players who graduate and stay out of trouble, he will be viewed as a successful coach. He will not be fired.

While I believe that the uga game is our most important game of the year (my reasons for that belief are beyond the scope of this discussion), that belief is not shared (at least with the same passion that I have towards it) by those whose opinion counts when it comes to judging the performance of coaches. When I have brought the issue up with the GT reps that come to the alumni club meetings that I attend, the stock answer (and therefore the "corporate position statement") on that issue is that, "There is so much more to Georgia Tech than beating uga." I don't very much expect that 6, 7, 8, 9, or more consecutive losses to the mutts would be a major deciding factor in a decision to retain or not retain a head coach. After all, we have been told multiple times that we want to beat uga, not be uga.

As for the marketing of the product, the real gut check will be whether or not we, the supporters, will continue to support the program at its current level, and pay more and more to support it. If some, or lots of us, become unhappy because we don't beat uga, win the acc, got to a bcs bowl, etc. and indicate our unhappiness by not buying tickets, or not sending money to the AT fund, then the administration may be forced to react. By not sending the band to away games. By not funding cub sports at all. By increasing the student academic fees even more. By eliminating certain non-revenue men's sports. By allocating more seats to the visiting team. By selling more three-packs. By giving away more cokes and hot dogs. By getting more corporate sponsors. By firing an assistant coach here or there. But I seriously doubt that any head coach with an overall winning record, a "clean" team, and an acceptable graduation rate, would be fired. Look at how long it took after his team hit the skids to resolve the SHW situation.

If you don't understand that everything that happens on and around the GT campus is governed by the academic and research goals and aspirations that have been expressed by the GT administration, then, in my opinion, you don't understand GT

By increasing the student academic fees even more.

It's happening as we speak. I believe that Rad is asking for the athletic fees paid by students be raised significantly (possibly doubled). Others may have detailed info relative to the specifics.

Buzz Bomb said:
It's happening as we speak. I believe that Rad is asking for the athletic fees paid by students be raised significantly (possibly doubled). Others may have detailed info relative to the specifics.

Here's what I remember about the fee increase:

- GT hasn't increased the student fee in a long time, I think since the 1990s.
- The GTAA is losing 3 million a year.
- GT's current student fee ranks something like 11th in the ACC.

RamblinPeck said:
More like the section for kids to sit in who don't have enough friends to be in a block.

I'd rather not make a big deal out of this, as I respect a number of other points you've made on the boards, RamblinPeck. But, Swarm is designed for the hardcore football/basketball fans enrolled at the school. That's why they pay extra money; that's why they sit closer.

I don't think it's right to bash such a dedicated group of fans (showing up 3-4 hours early, etc.).

Also, tons of folks will forgo sitting in their other blocks (fraternities, sororities, etc.) just to sit it Swarm. It's a fun experience. There's a reason the players sing the fight songs on the Swarm side after games.

Anyway, sorry to get off point. Just my two cents...

GTROY said:
I'd rather not make a big deal out of this, as I respect a number of other points you've made on the boards, RamblinPeck. But, Swarm is designed for the hardcore football/basketball fans enrolled at the school. That's why they pay extra money; that's why they sit closer.

I don't think it's right to bash such a dedicated group of fans (showing up 3-4 hours early, etc.).

Also, tons of folks will forgo sitting in their other blocks (fraternities, sororities, etc.) just to sit it Swarm. It's a fun experience. There's a reason the players sing the fight songs on the Swarm side after games.

Anyway, sorry to get off point. Just my two cents...

Kidding bud, sorry for forgetting the smily :D. Had and still have some good friends who did the swarm thing (fraternity brothers and such), no offense meant. And for the record, Basketball swarm is amazing, but I think they could really do something better with the football swarm seating, not sure what, but maybe have the band in the middle of Swarm or something like that, right now its just a gold block to one side and looks sorta wierd. Maybe its better on camera though?

Thanks for your well-thought out post

JacketIM said:
While I believe that the uga game is our most important game of the year (my reasons for that belief are beyond the scope of this discussion), that belief is not shared (at least with the same passion that I have towards it) by those whose opinion counts when it comes to judging the performance of coaches. When I have brought the issue up with the GT reps that come to the alumni club meetings that I attend, the stock answer (and therefore the "corporate position statement") on that issue is that, "There is so much more to Georgia Tech than beating uga." I don't very much expect that 6, 7, 8, 9, or more consecutive losses to the mutts would be a major deciding factor in a decision to retain or not retain a head coach. After all, we have been told multiple times that we want to beat uga, not be uga.

If you don't understand that everything that happens on and around the GT campus is governed by the academic and research goals and aspirations that have been expressed by the GT administration, then, in my opinion, you don't understand GT

In regards to "stock comments" by GT reps, I expect and certainly hope that those are canned responses to the general public from people on the fringe of the program. If their stated goal is to "beat uga,not be uga" then that is not consistent with 0-6,0-7,0-8 type of results. I believe Mr.Gailey himself publicly recognized this as one of his primary missions as HC upon his hiring.

While your premise is very well thought out, I hope that you are wrong. I don't believe that fans and boosters should have control of an athletics dept. (see Alabama,Auburn as examples of why this isn't good practice) but I don't believe that the administration can totally separate itself from the fans. (And I could be wrong about this). As an alumnus,former season ticket holder while living in state and financial contributor to GT, I believe I have some understanding of the institute and its overall mission. At 0-6, I believe a noticeable percentage (35%?50%?)or more of the active Tech fan base (not the casual fan) would be looking for a termination of CG or at least some serious intervention by the AD. At 0-7, these hypothetical numbers would be well over half,IMO, and at 0-8 the entire fan base (or over 90% or better) would be unanimous looking for change. Again I think the administration would be forced to make changes at this point, perhaps even begrudgingly. I don't think they can afford to alienate the greatest majority of their "paying audience". again, these are just my opinions and are to be construed as such.

RamblinPeck said:
Kidding bud, sorry for forgetting the smily :D. Had and still have some good friends who did the swarm thing (fraternity brothers and such), no offense meant. And for the record, Basketball swarm is amazing, but I think they could really do something better with the football swarm seating, not sure what, but maybe have the band in the middle of Swarm or something like that, right now its just a gold block to one side and looks sorta wierd. Maybe its better on camera though?

It's all good, man. As you could probably tell from the time of my post, all the parts of my brain aren't really there at around 2 am.

I totally agree about the football seating, though.

RamblinPeck said:

I didn't even realize there was a football swarm. I wish both swarms would get to the level of the Cameron Krazies. The influence they have on home games is unmeasurable.

Back