You're Dan Rad .....

8 win regular season, hopefully with >= 9 w/ a ACCCG appearance, but I can deal with VT being there next year (dont think Miami is going to recover quickly enough to do it next year)
Better damn well beat the mutts, I'm sorry, I grew up around old school guys, and honestly I'll take beating them over anything up to and including a national champ. If you don't win your state any victories after that are hollow. Sure an ACC title and such makes it better, but still hollow. And a win makes the titles that much sweeter.

If an SEC, at best also-ran, can beat arguably teams #2 and #3... though clemson might get my nod for #3 and us at 4, but either way... in the ACC then its a damn shame and we need to shut our mouths about not getting any respect and be happy we have a BCS slot and hope to hell we hold onto it.

Re: Drugs or insanity or sarcasm...

GTCrew said:
...realize that we will not fire a winning coach...

That point is certainly not lost on me. You have to wonder though if 9-5 becomes 8-5 becomes 7-6 ...and, hopefully not, but CG has still not defeated UGA by this time, what Rad's thoughts might be. I do not think CG can hover around .500, continue to lose to UGA and continue to have a jekyll/hyde program and keep his job.

Hopefully this will not be the case, GT will have a good season next year which will include a victory over UGA.

I agree with you about PJ as a fine coach but the stipulation for me would have to be MUST and if I had to tell him that I would not want him.
Triple option or option offense is not easily adapted to a passing game most GT folk's that think about option think in terms of the Bobby Ross option game used when Ralph was oc thats and altogether different system.

BOR, what was Minnesota's 2006 record? What was their Big 10 record?

When Chan gets to 32-48 in the conference let me know.

While we're beating the Paul Johnson drum, how about that decision to keep running the option with one minute left in the fourth with a lead in the game against BC, sure didn't look like a genius then.

cyclejacket said:
What do you tell your coach is the minmum acceptable W-L in 2007 for him to maintain his job? Or do you wait and see how things go with regard to injuries, off season incidents, etc.
To answer the original question I would primarily wait and see how we look at the beggining of next year, who wins the QB spot, what wrinkles are thrown in to the offense and how the replacements look on defense. Then find out how the competition looks, hows Miami's answer to the offense? How's Butch doing up in Chapperl Hill? The progress of Jameel Sewell at Uva, etc etc. We have to take all factors into account, imagine if deuce (TC) has a season ending injury, how the expectations for our offense and consequently our team would change.

If everything else remains the same with as it does today I would say at least a 9 win season coupled with either another ACCCG appearance or an Ugag win if not both.

GTCrew said:
BOR, what was Minnesota's 2006 record? What was their Big 10 record?

When Chan gets to 32-48 in the conference let me know.

Mason was 64-57 (.529) in 10 years at Minnesota and led the Gophers to seven bowl games. But he was just 3-4 in those games. Minnesota had only been to 5 bowl games before they hired Mason.

Gailey is .571 overall as HC for GT in 5 years at GT a much richer and better situated program than Minnesota. He has a 2-3 bowl record. To boot he has turned in GT's worse loss to UGA, worst loss to Clemson, and worst bowl loss in Utah. He also lost to Duke who had the longest losing streak in the country at the time. He lost to WVU yesterday after being ahead by 18 TWO different times in the ballgame.

Mason's situation is certainly comparable to ours in many respects.

GTYellowJacket12 said:
While we're beating the Paul Johnson drum, how about that decision to keep running the option with one minute left in the fourth with a lead in the game against BC, sure didn't look like a genius then.

Haha!

Awesome.

Yeay Johnson pretty well gave their bowl game to Boston College on a silver platter to keep from getting doused with the icewater his players had already picked up and were carrying toward him.

Beat Georgia and finish in the top 25. He said he was going to do that 5 years ago.

I'm with Knox and can live with this. If we finish in the Top 25, the wins we all want should be there. However, it is mandatory that UGA be one of those wins as it's high time we put UGA in their proper place.

Anything less than this level of achievement should cause Rad to seek a replacement HC. Chan has had ample time to turn this program around.

I think he has to beat ugag, the offense has to improve and the rest will take care of itself. But DRad has seen things first hand now and knows that another lost to ugag can't happen.

Seriously, how many consecutive losses to the mutts are we willing to take? I'd like to think DRad wouldn't tolerate a 6th in a row.

knoxjacket said:
Seriously, how many consecutive losses to the mutts are we willing to take? I'd like to think DRad wouldn't tolerate a 6th in a row.

Actually knox we've already lost 6 in a row to them, just not with one coach. The one thing they don't own in this series is the longest consecutive win record. They are looking good to beat the 8 in a row Dodd posted in the 50's if we don't right the ship now.

I enjoy criticizing CG's decisions as much as anyone, but I don't agree with a 10 win mandate to keep his job. I like this streak of winning seasons and bowl games. We are good, not great, but not at all mediocre or poor. With games against UGA, ND, VPI, U, and Clemson, a good team could win only 8 games easily.

The real issue is UGA. We are competing well with them every year for the last three, but losing every time. Eventually, Chan, you have to beat your rivals. Next year at BDS/HGF seems like the time. As much as I would hate to see Gailey fired, it will be hard to keep him after a loss in front of the home faithful on the last Saturday of November. That would be six losses for CG with a trip between the hedges and Stafford as a Junior on the schedule for '08. Not good.

Richt and all of his staff to the Falcons!

Buzz Bomb said:
Chan has had ample time to turn this program around.

Lets put things in perspective. Chan did inherit some problems no doubt, but he did NOT need to "turn this program around", he was supposed to take us to the next level, which he hasn't. Somehow the program at GT became a rebuilding job due to flunkgate and that's not completely fair assessment. We still had 5 relatively good seasons coming into 2002. In 2001 we were so disappointed with the final result and yet that final result of 8-5 was better than 4 of 5 of Chan's years.

Unfortunately I agree with some that we will not fire a "winning" coach because some alumni cannot forget the Curry/Lewis years. It is unfortunate because Ross and O'leary showed us we did not have to accept that type of performance on the field. They showed us we did not have to accept endless losses to the Dawgs. The truth is the watered down schedule and 12 games the minimum wins we should accept are 8 in a season and most years we should win 9.

I personally think next year will be tougher. Miami WILL be better. They have a boatload of talent. NC State with Davis is in a very similar situation. UVA was very young this year. Va Tech will not have the same offensive woes. The ACC was very very down this year. I don't think we will see an ACC this bad for another 10 years.

My pick for next year which should get some people excited is 8-4 regular season with a loss to UGA and a bowl game on the west coast.

That should cost Chan his job but it will not.

cyclejacket said:
Actually knox we've already lost 6 in a row to them, just not with one coach. The one thing they don't own in this series is the longest consecutive win record. They are looking good to beat the 8 in a row Dodd posted in the 50's if we don't right the ship now.
Naturally, I'm not holding O'Leary's loss against Chan and I meant with one coach. If we're willing to keep a coach who loses 6 in a row to them we're pretty much admitting we're their whipping boy.

If that's the case we might as well just fold up tent right now.

Without getting tied down to a specific, he has to have a "good" September thru October, and then win at least half the remaining games, with a win over georgia being mandatory.

The years of finishing like a loser are over.

I hate UGAy as much as anyone, but if we went 10-2 and lost to the mutts, Chan won't be fired. Anything 8 wins and above is safe. 7 wins and he'll be in the Coker seat, sacrificing the OC for one more chance.

For some reason, most of you don't realize that Georgia Tech is not an elite job with the academic restrictions and lack of safe majors. In the Dodd days, players went to school for an education first. Now, many (wrongly) believe that college is a stepping stone to the NFL and miss the opportunity.

As long as we are winning, with penalties from the NCAA, there aren't too many proven coaches who would take the job. Look at Alabama and the soon to be funny Minnesota coaching searches. They're talking about Lou Holtz as a bridge for god's sake.

When the scholarship limits end, then we can make a fair assessment. In the meantime, going to Bowl games and fielding a winning team are all that is required.

No let just do what the Hive says and not play them any more.

Back