You're Dan Rad .....

pocket_watch

Dodd-Like
GT1992 said:
For some reason, most of you don't realize that Georgia Tech is not an elite job with the academic restrictions and lack of safe majors. In the Dodd days, players went to school for an education first.
If this year's recruiting class stays together, the theory that all of today's top ball players don't want an education will be have been a bogus myth that former Tech recruiters bought into.

Maybe I should wait to see if we can string 3 classes like this together before I am so bold.

However, if such a thing occurs, Tech would be the best coaching job in the country for many of the right people.

gtmg

Varsity Lurker
There is no reason we cannot recruit in the top 25 every year. We have the LARGEST recruiting budget in the nation. Really no excuses. The class this year is excellent but is buoyed by two high level qb's only one of which will play at QB anyhow.

I beg to differ. We are not Alabama but we are a great place to coach. We have a good recruiting base in Georgia when tapped. We have the Atlanta market to sell to and very fine facilities. In reality we have low expectations and they seem even lower with Chan. This would be a great job for someone like KW to come in and be here for the next 25 years. Let's be realistic if O'leary doesn't leave he is here for 25 years same for Curry. Lets settle on coach that the fan base generally agrees on, represents Tech well on and off the field and puts competitive exciting teams in play. I just don't see CG being that man.

GT1992

Dodd-Like
Who are these right people? I just don't see them. Tech is a good job, not great, especially with the 10 win or else mentallity.

So far, this recruiting class is an aberration. Even so, we were not able to recruit several players that we initially wanted. We had to close a much higher percentage than a UGA or Clemson does to have a top class. In that respect, it is a more difficult job than an Alabama. However, if we have the same winning expectations as Alabama, you know where most coaches will go.

I don't think it's a myth that academics is secondary to most prospective college football players. This year, we mitigated that by being aggressive with the ones that are interested early in the process. I believe/hope that we have a system in place to continue in this manner.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
gtmg, just an aside, but I assume you don't read the Hive? There's really no difference between the tone and much of the content of the two boards.

artesian jacket

Varsity Lurker
gtmg said:
There is no reason we cannot recruit in the top 25 every year. We have the LARGEST recruiting budget in the nation. Really no excuses. The class this year is excellent but is buoyed by two high level qb's only one of which will play at QB anyhow.

I beg to differ. We are not Alabama but we are a great place to coach. We have a good recruiting base in Georgia when tapped. We have the Atlanta market to sell to and very fine facilities. In reality we have low expectations and they seem even lower with Chan. This would be a great job for someone like KW to come in and be here for the next 25 years. Let's be realistic if O'leary doesn't leave he is here for 25 years same for Curry. Lets settle on coach that the fan base generally agrees on, represents Tech well on and off the field and puts competitive exciting teams in play. I just don't see CG being that man.
Most people do not realize this but Dodd was a masterful recruiter and generally got top tier talent from around the South but most particularly Florida and Tennessee. He even got good players from Mississippi such as Larry Morris. The point is, Georgia was a backwater for football talent then and today it is one of the top states for recruiting there is much more talent in Georgia today than in just a generation ago. Gailey should be recruiting top 25 classes every year, irregardless of academic restrictions. It can be done as this year as shown.

pocket_watch

Dodd-Like
Good post Artesian. Saying we can't get 20-25 a year is nonsense. The rest is coaching.

MacDaddy2

Damn Good Rat
a) The UGA game is only available in the season ticket package. We do not include UGA in the 3 game package!

b) Offer the UGA game on a single game basis at $50 per seat if you contribute $200 or more to the AT fund

$200 if you do not contribute to the AT fund

$50 if you are a "certified" GT grad

c) renegotiate the ticket allocations when the two schools play. Make it on a percentage of seats basis instead of each team giving them the same number of seats as they give us.

d) force the mutts to move the game to opening weekend. i am damn sick and tired of the season ending in a loss to those arseholes and since the majority of their team is ineligible due to DUI's .... it works in our favor. :fingersx: If they don't agree, drop the series until they agree to our terms. I promise you it wouldn't take long.

e) set up a ticket resale site to sell the UGA game only to GT fans (I know I have sold mine to UGA fans in the past, bless me father for I have sinned but see the err o' my ways).

f) screw 'em they suck anyway

g) Chan, your mission is simple. GT goes 8-4 with a win over UGA or 10-2 and wins the conference or, in the words of the Donald, YOU'RE FIRED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

f) Buy a videoboard for AMC and a sound system that you can understand.

g) remove the chairback seats below the wall at AMC and surround the court with risers for the students. I think atmosphere is a bit more important than Morris, Hunsinger or Dr. Sid placing their feet on the floor.

Buzz Bomb

Flats Noob
Lets put things in perspective. Chan did inherit some problems no doubt, but he did NOT need to "turn this program around", he was supposed to take us to the next level, which he hasn't.
I'll agree with that. I believe Chan also inherited a solid core of 12-13 good returning starters when he took the job initially. If I recall those early days correctly, Chan himself was quoted as saying he had good SA talent available and that he wanted to get us into the Top 25. If taking us to Top 25 status is taking us to the next level, I totally agree. Problem is, he hasn't achieved that goal yet and that's what I was referring to by the comment about turning the program around. I'm still patiently waiting for that milestone to occur and I think Chan has had ample time to achieve that goal.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Love it MacDaddy. Can't say I agree with all your points but that's definitetly the right attitude. But no matter what, (f) is right on the money! I think (g) is the right approach as well.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
There is no reason we cannot recruit in the top 25 every year. We have the LARGEST recruiting budget in the nation.
Once you get to competitive D-IA football, recruiting budgets depend almost solely on travel expenses. Two years ago, we tried to recruit nationally and thus had to travel nationally. That's how we spent more than Georgia, who mainly recruits in Georgia, Florida, who mainly recruits in Florida, Texas and other such schools. In fact, we probably spent less this past year, even though we had a much better class, because we recruited mainly in Georgia.

Recruiting budgets also don't include recruiting variable such as the money spent on facilities.

GTROY

Damn Good Rat
MacDaddy2 said:
g) remove the chairback seats below the wall at AMC and surround the court with risers for the students. I think atmosphere is a bit more important than Morris, Hunsinger or Dr. Sid placing their feet on the floor.
Thank you! In the SI writeup of the AMC, they mentioned that SWARM was extremely loud, but not as intimidating as they could be because of their location. Sitting under the baskets is fun, but you can only fit a couple hundred under there.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
GTROY said:
Thank you! In the SI writeup of the AMC, they mentioned that SWARM was extremely loud, but not as intimidating as they could be because of their location. Sitting under the baskets is fun, but you can only fit a couple hundred under there.
I wish they'd sell the SWARM T-Shirts somewhere. I really liked the ones a few years back, but I guess they're more of a reward to the students.

RamblinPeck

Jolly Good Fellow
GTWannaBee said:
I wish they'd sell the SWARM T-Shirts somewhere. I really liked the ones a few years back, but I guess they're more of a reward to the students.
More like the section for kids to sit in who don't have enough friends to be in a block.

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
gtmg said:
We have the LARGEST recruiting budget in the nation.
Correction: We have the LARGEST Athletic Department, Publically Published, Non-Booster recruiting budget in the nation.

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
gtmg said:
This would be a great job for someone like KW to come in and be here for the next 25 years. Let's be realistic if O'leary doesn't leave he is here for 25 years same for Curry. Lets settle on coach that the fan base generally agrees on, represents Tech well on and off the field and puts competitive exciting teams in play. I just don't see CG being that man.
LOL, sure someone will be here 25 years IF THEY DON'T LEAVE. Know what, Curry was a Tech man and even he LEFT. O'Leary was under no pressure and he LEFT. If that's the best you can present then you have a firm grasp of the obvious.

Further, except for "the fan base generally agrees on", we have just the coach you are looking for in place right now. He is one victory away from achieving that last step and I for one am hoping like hell he gets in and we can put all the coach bickering behind us and have all of us fully support our program again.

JacketIM

Varsity Lurker
I respectfully dissent.

ccg's tenure at GT has little or nothing to do with how many games we win, or who we beat next year, or the year after next year. In fact, as long as he has an overall winning record, and shows up for work, he will remain the GT hc under the current administration. It is not the AD's call. It is not the wealthy supporter's call. It is the call of the academic side of the institute, who will continue to back ccg as long as he does not bring discredit to the institute by way of personal acts (probability of that happening approaches zero) or by way of the actions of his team (eg, UM and Larry Coker - probably of that happening is very low).

The most important ranking at GT these days is the one published in USN&WR. There is major emphasis in all areas of the institute to maintain and improve that ranking, which does not include, as a component, the win loss record of the football team. It does include student retention and graduation rate. It does include retaining and recruiting top notch faculty. It does include moving towards a equal undergrad-grad population. It does include increasing the image of the institute as a research heavy academic school.

ccg is compatible with these goals, and to the consternation of some, has not been confrontational with the academic side of the institute. He is regarded as bringing in the type of sa who will graduate from GT in the time allotted by the ncaa. ccg is regarded by the administration as being a good team player. And as all of us know, organizations do not readily dismiss good team players.

Another problem is that there is a serious cash flow problem with in the AA. This has been evident for the last three years, and has not improved. Given his current contract, including the one year extension for "getting us to a bowl game," asking ccg to seek other employment or to pull the cord of a golden parachute and retire is not viewed as financially feasible either at this time, or in the near future.

As may have been evident from my past posts, I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a fan or supporter of ccg as head coach. But I am absolutely certain that if I appeared on the GT campus tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or next year with the exact amount of money necessary to buy ccg's contact out, and offered that money to the institute only if it would be used for that purpose, the offer would be rejected.

So my point of view is, for better or for worse, no matter how many games we win or don't win next year, whether or not we beat uga, whether or not we go to a bowl, ccg will be our football head coach at least through the 2008 season. If at that time, he still has an overall winning record, and still is regarded as a "team player," he will continue to be our hc until he decides he no longer wants to be, or until he is no longer regarded as a "team player."

A couple of notes as to the above comments. I have always supported the academic side of GT by way of the Roll Call to a larger extent than I have the athletic side by way of the AT fund. I will continue to do so, whether or not ccg remains our football hc. I will also continue to support the AT fund, and purchase tickets, but until I see how much more the AA will be asking for my upper west tickets in the future, the extent to which I support those areas is open to question. Also, I have no particular contacts, either within the administration, or the AA, so I do not base my opinions on inside information. However, I do listen carefully, read everything I can get my hands on about our current situation, and apply 40 plus years of association with GT do what I hear and read to reach my conclusions. Those conclusions may be wrong. But then again, they may correct.

B

Jolly Good Fellow
Re: I respectfully dissent.

JacketIM said:
The most important ranking at GT these days is the one published in USN&WR.

ccg is compatible with these goals,

So my point of view is, for better or for worse, no matter how many games we win or don't win next year, whether or not we beat uga, whether or not we go to a bowl, ccg will be our football head coach at least through the 2008 season. If at that time, he still has an overall winning record, and still is regarded as a "team player," he will continue to be our hc until he decides he no longer wants to be, or until he is no longer regarded as a "team player."
2 points of your post concern me -

1) I am uncertain how a football coach influences the ranking of a school in the USN&WR

2) I am certain that IF, CCG were retained beyond 2008 (and possibly even 2007) without a win over Uga, the bottom would drop out in terms of fan interest/support. Whether this is important or not may be debatable to us here on these internet boards but when it influences revenue (contributions and ticket sales) it becomes important to the decision-makers. Like it or not, the GTAA is marketing a product and that product is dependent on the approval and support of the fanbase and/or general public.

gtmg

Varsity Lurker
I disagree strongly because if the academic side really controlled the athletic program we would go D3 like MIT. IT was pushed very hard when the football and basketball program were down simultaneously in the early 80's.

pocket_watch

Dodd-Like
gtmg said:
I disagree strongly because if the academic side really controlled the athletic program we would go D3 like MIT. IT was pushed very hard when the football and basketball program were down simultaneously in the early 80's.
Yes, but Doug Weaver was in charge during that frightful time.
Our old friend Kim King and others had other thoughts. Somehow Dr. Rice was employed recently thereafter.

RamblinPeck

Jolly Good Fellow
pocket_watch said:
Yes, but Doug Weaver was in charge during that frightful time.
Our old friend Kim King and others had other thoughts. Somehow Dr. Rice was employed recently thereafter.
Anyone who believes that we should strive (though not neccessarily arrive at all that often) for anything other than the top teir of D1-A football has no grasp of what GT is about.