2010/2011 Recruiting Thread

OLB, prototypical physically from what I hear.

As Liebs said, he'll be at the Will LB spot that Egbuniwe is starting at now. Caldwell plays this position at Mays but is a DE only when they go to a 4 man front. That position should be your best edge pass rusher. Typically we'll see this position filled by HS DE's. Chaz Cheeks is in a similiar position as he plays DE in HS in a 4-3 defense.

Anybody know anything about Darian Cooper? I was under the impression that we were very high on his list.

Also, where are we with Errin Joe? Seemed like we were close then it went silent.

Anybody know anything about Darian Cooper? I was under the impression that we were very high on his list.

Also, where are we with Errin Joe? Seemed like we were close then it went silent.
Cooper is supposedly giving us an official this fall. Regarding Joe, I believe GT is still on top.

As Liebs said, he'll be at the Will LB spot that Egbuniwe is starting at now. Caldwell plays this position at Mays but is a DE only when they go to a 4 man front. That position should be your best edge pass rusher. Typically we'll see this position filled by HS DE's. Chaz Cheeks is in a similiar position as he plays DE in HS in a 4-3 defense.

Egbuniwe plays the "Jack" position. Watts plays the Will

Well from knowledge the Sam LB(AT) is the one who goes to the TE or the break in the formation(i.e. Slot receiver). The Mike and Will are in the box lined up head up the guard. The Jack is the other OLB who rushes 70% of the time. The Mike always on the same side as the Sam and the Will is always on the same side Jack

You have it backwards (Or Groh does). Groh uses the exact opposite of what everyone else uses.

Well from knowledge the Sam LB(AT) is the one who goes to the TE or the break in the formation(i.e. Slot receiver). The Mike and Will are in the box lined up head up the guard. The Jack is the other OLB who rushes 70% of the time. The Mike always on the same side as the Sam and the Will is always on the same side Jack

I think that both of these are right, if "everyone else" is represented by Bama's 3-4. I think S(am) and W(ill) are the S(trong) side and W(eak) side OLB's in Bama's 3-4. But, I've read elsewhere that Groh uses Will for Weak Side ILB.

We have multiple coach and player quotes that tell us the ILB's are Mike and Jack and the OLB's are Sam and Will. This is different from some other 3-4 guys like Saban who use Jack as their OLB on the Weakside or non-TE side. Our starting LB corps as of now is:
Sam - AT Barnes
Mike - Brad Jefferson
Jack - Brandon Watts
Will - Anthony Egbuniwe

ILB Coach Joe Speed: “Our inside linebackers are called the “Mike” and the “Jack” and their main function is to go downhill to the football.”

Last edited:
I figure Sam/Will/Mike correspond to strongside/weakside/middle. What does Jack correspond to I wonder?

I figure it would be something like "Otis" corresponding to other guy.

I figure Sam/Will/Mike correspond to strongside/weakside/middle. What does Jack correspond to I wonder?

I figure it would be something like "Otis" corresponding to other guy.

Jack (or Joker as some other teams call it) is the backer away from the strength of the formation. The Jack is usually aligned in a ghost 7tech( outside heel of DE) and he can line up in a 2 point or 3 point stance. The Jack is the primary outside pass rusher. The Jack also create a lot of confusion for the OL by dropping in coverage, slanting, and stunting with other Lineman and Backers

I updated a lot of the rankings, the biggest highlights being Jabari Hunt-Days is the #11 OLB and Stephon Tuitt is the #1 Strongside DE according to Rivals.

I updated a lot of the rankings, the biggest highlights being Jabari Hunt-Days is the #11 OLB and Stephon Tuitt is the #1 Strongside DE according to Rivals.
hey man, thanks very much for doing this. If I see you at one of the tailgates/games, I'll buy you a beer! :biggthumpup:

I have been using the list quite a bit recently, and probably more as the NSD gets close.

hey man, thanks very much for doing this. If I see you at one of the tailgates/games, I'll buy you a beer! :biggthumpup:

I have been using the list quite a bit recently, and probably more as the NSD gets close.

No problem, I'm glad some other folks are using it. I use it myself as a quick way to check on updates of players. I recently converted all the links to tinyurl so I'm hoping I have enough room (there is a 10,000 character limit on posts) to add more profile links. I also wish I had a better way to format the links and rankings so it would be easier to read so if anyone has a suggestion my ears are open.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to take you up on that beer this season as I'll be deploying soon for at least the entire CFB regular season. I'll try to keep the list updated but I'm not sure what kind of internet access I'm going to have so we'll see.

We have multiple coach and player quotes that tell us the ILB's are Mike and Jack and the OLB's are Sam and Will. This is different from some other 3-4 guys like Saban who use Jack as their OLB on the Weakside or non-TE side. Our starting LB corps as of now is:
Sam - AT Barnes
Mike - Brad Jefferson
Jack - Brandon Watts
Will - Anthony Egbuniwe

ILB Coach Joe Speed: “Our inside linebackers are called the “Mike” and the “Jack” and their main function is to go downhill to the football.”

Thanks. I finally got around to double-checking my source, and I had misremembered. Appararently, according to this source Saban uses Will for Weak-Side ILB. I correctly remembered my source saying Saban differed from Groh on Will and Jack, but got it in the wrong direction.

No problem, I'm glad some other folks are using it. I use it myself as a quick way to check on updates of players. I recently converted all the links to tinyurl so I'm hoping I have enough room (there is a 10,000 character limit on posts) to add more profile links. I also wish I had a better way to format the links and rankings so it would be easier to read so if anyone has a suggestion my ears are open.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to take you up on that beer this season as I'll be deploying soon for at least the entire CFB regular season. I'll try to keep the list updated but I'm not sure what kind of internet access I'm going to have so we'll see.

Thanks for this, too.

Does anybody have a feel for who's at the top of our wish list this year for our front 3 DL's (3-4 NT, DE's)? How are we doing here?

^No problem. Thanks for the thanks.

Changed Noble and McNair to commits. Added their Scout rankings which are very solid but ESPN is being screwy at work so I'll add that tonight.

Back