2012 Recruiting Thread

Any idea on our chances with that crew of elite guys? Specifically Jenkins and Watkins?
The limited majors are hurting us for certain. It is a double-edge sword...we need kids smart enought to value and make it at GT...but kids like that also are fairly certain about what they want to major in. The biggest problem right now is the lack of a named journalism or communications major. It is somewhat stupid because the factory schools will steer them away from this once they land...and you can have a MGT degree with internships at CNN/Turner and be far better off. 99% of on-air personalities do not have majors in that arena. This is hard to explain to a 17-year old when their high school coaches also want them at a factory to boot.

The other piece is with kids that want engineering degrees...schools like Auburn and Clemson will tell them "why work so hard for one at GT when you can come here and get it easier". This is risky as I would take that as an insult if I were that person...but I guess you never know.

Back to your original question....hard to say our chances with any because it is early for elite guys. If we could get Jenkins and Tomlinson the coaches would be ecstatic....and one of Fuller/Thomas/Monroe would be icing on the cake. There are lots of teams involved with each...and of course Thomas and Monroe are soft verbals elsewhere but are visiting GT within the next 5 weeks.

I heard motley commited to VPI recently how strong is it. Is that something where we'll stay "active?"

or even one we want to?
We love Motley and wanted him on board. I do not see him switching though. All of his interviews are extremely impressive...he is a first class kid that gives great answers and approached the entire recruiting process with respect to all coaches involved. He even said that he does not see the point in collecting more offers and stringing coaches a long when you are fortunate to have excellent opportunities in front of you. He felt it unfair to others to wait a long time to decide. Great kid. I wish him well...just hope VT loses every game at the same time.

We love Motley and wanted him on board. I do not see him switching though. All of his interviews are extremely impressive...he is a first class kid that gives great answers and approached the entire recruiting process with respect to all coaches involved. He even said that he does not see the point in collecting more offers and stringing coaches a long when you are fortunate to have excellent opportunities in front of you. He felt it unfair to others to wait a long time to decide. Great kid. I wish him well...just hope VT loses every game at the same time.

+1 on the maturity and attitude reflected in his interviews

thanks for the info, I echo your sentiments.

Do you have a link or something? I thought Watkins was the one who grew up a huge Tech fan...
I implied this in one of my earlier posts where i talked about journalism. This happend back on Tuesday of this week when he made this known.
Yes...he grew up a GT fan and his parents wanted GT. However, he is dead set on his major being journalism and did not see the value of a mgt major, or some other, that included internships at CNN/Turner.

Said it before and will say it again... Lack of majors hurts Tech way more in recruiting than admission standards. To be perfectly honest, high levels BCS players like who also grew up GT fans aren't a dime a dozen. Not saying we should specifically add the major Watkins wanted but a more diverse curriculum is needed especially as the state of Georgia and Atlanta area in particular continue to grow in population.

I implied this in one of my earlier posts where i talked about journalism. This happend back on Tuesday of this week when he made this known.
Yes...he grew up a GT fan and his parents wanted GT. However, he is dead set on his major being journalism and did not see the value of a mgt major, or some other, that included internships at CNN/Turner.

What's his career goal? Seems a Mgt degree + connections far exceeds simply having a journalism degree.

I looked up a few NFL analysts just to see what their degrees were in:

Bryant Gumbel - history
James Brown - American Government
Chris Berman - history
Greg Gumbel - English
Rich Eisen - Communications
Tom Jackson - not sure, football major?
Phil Simms - History
Chris Mortensen - can't find, says he spent 2 years at community college

Yeah, that journalism excuse is kinda lame. MGT w/ concentration in Marketing, STAC, Public Policy, HTS or even INTA would groom him for a career in journalism.

Those are television personalities. He may actually want to be a journalist/writer.

Bottom Line: Need to add some majors....If possible.

They can be top notch academic programs, but we need more options.

oh I see...well as long as it's his choice, not some SEC coach in his ear about the only way to make it is by majoring in journalism...

Dobson must know this--everything I've heard is that Tech staff communicates well with recruits. So, considering that he's not sitting on a lot of offers, you'd think he'd go ahead and commit, if he likes Tech. Is he holding-out for an FSU or Auburn offer?

Well, Scout Interview seemed to address this in part:

http://georgiatech.scout.com/2/1082360.html

GT has apparently communicated that, with the Andrews committment, they/we are not sure if we're gonna take 2 QBs in 2012.

Back