2012 Recruiting Thread

agreed NJ....for GT it will be vital that we find great QB's for CPJ's system. Justin Thomas fits the bill. This is the second year in a row we have landed QB's with other major offers...we have 3 in Lee, Andrews, and Thomas.

Could not agree more. The most obvious area of improvement is the D-Line, because fans can see other teams run the ball down our throats and can see our failure to get to the opposing QB. The less obvious but equally (if not more) important area of improvement is QB. It makes it more difficult to pinpoint when you can't see someone's detriments (e.g., if you don't notice an incorrect read, it won't stand out). Missing wide open receivers is a little different, and everyone can see that when watching. But, making the wrong read or the right read too late (or getting tackled in the open field when a great QB could have scored) are more easily forgettable.

No doubt there is an issue with improvement on the D-Line. But, there is a very high upside with the QB position that, in my opinion, we have not yet touched. Hopefully Lee or Thomas can achieve that.

I know the west coast offense depends on short passes to get the ball down the field. But since Tight Ends are good at blocking and catching, would our offense benefit from a couple of TEs. Just to confuse defenses. We don't even need to call them TEs, just blockers for our option, but good for a few yards if we need to get rid of the ball and the option is not viable.

Just a thought.

Agreed. TE recruits at A-back would add another dimension to the offense. NE Pats are doing something similar.

Look at Pat Gamble, then look at a prototypical NT. He is in no way an NT.

939153.jpg

"Don't tell me what position to play, message board *****."

1. Ranked as a DT on Rivals.
2. He's only 18 and already 275. Could pack 30-40 more pounds of muscle on that frame.
3. Has been mentioned that that is an option by some of the recruiting guys.

yes...it is believed by many that Gamble could not only be a great DE...but could be a great NT or OT. He has a great frame...very wide...carries a lot of weight well. In others words, he weighs more than he looks as there is zero fat. He could easily become a 290-300 lb kid. He is tall though so it would all depend on his pad level.

there are very few true NT's out of high school that are any good...very very few.

Updated OP with Griffin commit as well as some of our top targets remaining. Also updated Kallon to a Rivals 4 star.

1. Ranked as a DT on Rivals.
2. He's only 18 and already 275. Could pack 30-40 more pounds of muscle on that frame.
3. Has been mentioned that that is an option by some of the recruiting guys.

I wouldn't project his position in college based on what a recruiting service ranks him as. Most project players to a 4-3 as it is the most common scheme. You don't see a lot of 4-3 DEs weighing 275+ coming out of HS as most will gain wait and it's tough to find good pass-rushers that are that big. Naturally they'd list him as a DT even though his responsibilities are obviously different playing DE in a 3-4. 30-40 more pounds is also quite a number to throw out there as something that just happens. Maybe he does get a look at NT, but you don't just look at a guy's height/weight/position-on-recruiting-service to project what he'll be in college.

I wouldn't project his position in college based on what a recruiting service ranks him as. Most project players to a 4-3 as it is the most common scheme. You don't see a lot of 4-3 DEs weighing 275+ coming out of HS as most will gain wait and it's tough to find good pass-rushers that are that big. Naturally they'd list him as a DT even though his responsibilities are obviously different playing DE in a 3-4. 30-40 more pounds is also quite a number to throw out there as something that just happens. Maybe he does get a look at NT, but you don't just look at a guy's height/weight/position-on-recruiting-service to project what he'll be in college.

I think if we get the Australian but not Tomlinson Gamble will get his first look at DE. But if we Get Tomlinson we might look at him for NT because we are pretty solid at DE and we really need NTs.

The Aussie will almost surely need a RS year and we need an NT now.

On that note, any news on Shawn Greene? Is he 100% healed? Is he in shape?

I think if we get the Australian but not Tomlinson Gamble will get his first look at DE. But if we Get Tomlinson we might look at him for NT because we are pretty solid at DE and we really need NTs.

The Aussie will almost surely need a RS year and we need an NT now.

On that note, any news on Shawn Greene? Is he 100% healed? Is he in shape?

One scouting report on Gamble from junior year via Scout:

He could still get some looks strictly as a DL, but with his frame, long arms, and potential, I like his more as an offensive lineman. He plays with high pads on the defense, he does not fire off the ball consistently, and he needs to really improve his hands. On the offensive side of the ball, he is much more in control and dominant. He is still raw there too, but I see a lot of good things he has to work with.

Tomlinson is also offered at DE IIRC. Gotsis is the most likely to get the look at NT from what I can see. The report on him is that he's great at staying low. I seriously doubt anybody we sign in the '12 class contributes significantly at NT this upcoming season.

So apparently we dropped Junior Gnonkonde. Horrible news, he has all the tools to be a great OLB.

Does anyone know how many OV's on campus this weekend? If so, who are they (besides Gotsis)?

Are there any "silents" this year? We usually have one or two every year, but this year it has been mostly silent.:wink:

Back