2023/24 Coaching Carousel

I have a friend that went to MSST. I'm going to tell him to warn their fans and AD to RUN!!, don't walk, away from Scooter The Clown! Stay far, far away!! That guy is a narcissistic disaster!!

He's the type that would 100% blame GT, the administration, players, assistant coaches, and fans for his failures here in an interview.
It would be a plausible story that MSST could believe. Tech is a pretty easy target and there is some truth to it as we all know. Tech is a tough place to succeed. It takes something very special to make magic at Tech.

The difference is that MSST doesn't have many of the limitations Tech has and he could exploit that difference to blame his failures all while using the usual sales bullshit to paint the dream for a broken hearted MSST program.

I doubt they fall for it, but MSST is pretty vulnerable right now. Mike Leach was putting them on the map and they are now back to wandering in the wilderness.

Plus, and this is important to consider, he would be cheap. Dirt cheap. In the coaching arms race MSST can't match the skyrocketing salaries. TAMU is paying north of $70M for Jimbo just to go away and will likely be matching that figure to bring in their next coach. MSST is very likely shopping in the value scratch and dent bin.

We'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gains some traction. His salesmanship will likely get him some consideration at a place like Mississippi State.

flounder-animal-house-dean-vernon-wormer.gif

It would be a plausible story that MSST could believe. Tech is a pretty easy target and there is some truth to it as we all know. Tech is a tough place to succeed. It takes something very special to make magic at Tech.

The difference is that MSST doesn't have many of the limitations Tech has and he could exploit that difference to blame his failures all while using the usual sales bullshit to paint the dream for a broken hearted MSST program.

I doubt they fall for it, but MSST is pretty vulnerable right now. Mike Leach was putting them on the map and they are now back to wandering in the wilderness.

Plus, and this is important to consider, he would be cheap. Dirt cheap. In the coaching arms race MSST can't match the skyrocketing salaries. TAMU is paying north of $70M for Jimbo just to go away and will likely be matching that figure to bring in their next coach. MSST is very likely shopping in the value scratch and dent bin.

We'll see.
Things are about to get much, much worse for Mississippi State with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma. Their prospects to EVER win the SEC have to be hovering around zero. No decent coach in his right mind would take that job. Starkville is a öööö hole that has to deal with Alabama being just over the border. They will be getting a second rate coach who, at best, is looking at 7 win seasons - max.

May as well hire clown and get some entertainment value out of being a bottom dweller.

Hypothetical yet realistic scenario-
1) Athens Community College wins out this year and Kirby wins his 3rd Natty in a row
2) A&M goes for broke and throws more money than anyone ever thought possible for a college coach at Smart, plus promises for whatever he wants for assistants and staff
3) Combination of pay, resources, and a new challenge are enough to lure Smart to College Station

If Smart weren't an alum, I'd say it's a pretty good shot. Sentimentality of playing for your alma mater would make it more difficult. But everybody's got a price, only question is A&M willing to pay it.
He’s already won Nattys. Wouldn’t look past it.

Things are about to get much, much worse for Mississippi State with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma. Their prospects to EVER win the SEC have to be hovering around zero. No decent coach in his right mind would take that job. Starkville is a öööö hole that has to deal with Alabama being just over the border. They will be getting a second rate coach who, at best, is looking at 7 win seasons - max.

May as well hire clown and get some entertainment value out of being a bottom dweller.
SEC Football Championships.png

People should take a long look at this. Since 1976 if you aren't Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Florida or Auburn you haven't sniffed an SEC title. Nearly half a century. Now add Texas and Oklahoma.

Maybe Vanderbilt is the only smart program of the bunch. Take the skyrocketing football money and take the beatings and go compete at other sports.

I will find much joy If we coordinated a campaign to flood the Miss state presidents emails promoting Collins. The least we could do is pro push it on Twitter. It’s worth it for the lols!

We'll see.
If Mississippi State is shopping in the marked down bins Collins is a good place to start. He’s not as funny as Leach was and certainly not the coach he was.

Back