2023/24 Coaching Carousel

Curt Cignetti and co. to Duke comes at a good time for us by dropping them as a rival. He would do very well there. He probably would’ve done well here too. He has the NC ties from Elon days and Harrisonburg isn’t too far from Raleigh-Durham. Not too hard on his family. Plus it remains relatively low pressure and low profile. Would be good for ACC.

I actually think Elko can do very well at A&M with all the talent money can buy, what he did at dookie was fairly amazing until his qb got hurt
Best part for us is that with Elko leaving, that QB might transfer out and relegate Duke back to the basement.

Supposedly Dan Mullen has some interest in the Cuse’ job as well. Not sure how well he would do there. I know MSU is a hard place to recruit to compared to other $EC schools around them, but Cuse’ has no recruiting footprint.

Plus, Mullen has it made. Golf 3-4 days a week, and work on ESPN 2 days a week all while getting a massive paycheck from UF.

Supposedly Dan Mullen has some interest in the Cuse’ job as well. Not sure how well he would do there. I know MSU is a hard place to recruit to compared to other $EC schools around them, but Cuse’ has no recruiting footprint.

Plus, Mullen has it made. Golf 3-4 days a week, and work on ESPN 2 days a week all while getting a massive paycheck from UF.

Well. I guess that’s what I get for not checking the ole internet today. Usually check footballscoop daily this time of the year. Appreciate it. Never made sense on his part anyway. He’s got the perfect job right now.

And with that said. Per Footballscoop:

Syracuse: Sources tell FootballScoop a deal is expected to be in place for Fran Brown to become head coach at Syracuse later today.

No he doesn't. He shot that down yesterday.

EDIT: Oops I now see that's already been stated.

I still don’t get the widespread gushing over Elko. 14-9 against FBS teams at Duke. Okay, on the surface that looks like a decent record at a bad program. But that's bolstered by a ridiculously easy schedule.

- 5 of those wins came against teams that finished with more than 5 wins.

- 7 of those wins came against teams that finished the year with 3 or fewer wins.

- 9-7 in the ACC (same as Tech)

Maybe he ends up being a good coach. I'm surprised a program with the money to throw around that A&M does would settle on him so quickly. He's basically riding a cake OOC schedule and beating up on the dregs of the ACC all the way to the bank. I'd argue Key has had the better coaching performance the last two seasons, but OOC games against UGA x 2 and Ole Miss x 2 apparently blind people to that.

College football coaching carousel: Tracker, analysis, grades on coach changes, 2023-24 firings and hirings - CBSSports.com

College football coaching carousel

TEAMINOUTANALYSIS
team logoDanny GonzalesGonzales was 11-31 in four season with the Lobos.
team logoJonathan Smith (Oregon State)Mel Tucker (cause)Smith is the perfect hire for Michigan State. The former Oregon State quarterback rebuilt the Beavers program into a consistent team despite challenges in the recruiting department. Michigan State is bound to be a developmental program in the new-look Big Ten, and Smith has proven that he's one of the best at developing talent throughout his coaching career. Grade: A+
team logoJonathan SmithSmith left Oregon State after posting a 34-35 record in six seasons with his alma mater.
team logoBrady Hoke (retired)Hoke was 39-30 in two stints with Aztecs (2009-10, 2020-23). He was 104-90 overall as a head coach with stops at Ball State (2003-08), Michigan (2011-14) and as an interim coach at Tennessee (2017).
team logoDino BabersBabers was fired after compiling a 41-55 record in eight years with the Orange.
team logoZach ArnettArnett was fired after posting a 5-6 record with the Bulldogs in his first full season after taking over for the late Mike Leach.
team logoAndy AvalosAvalos was let go after 10 games in the 2023 season. He was 22-14 in three seasons leading the Broncos.
team logoJimbo FisherFisher was fired after posting a 45-25 record in six seasons with the Aggies. He's owed over $77 million to be paid out through 2021.
team logoDavid BraunPat Fitzgerald (cause)Fitzgerald was dismissed after an investigation revealed a culture of hazing within the program. He was 110-101 in 17 seasons leading the Wildcats. Braun was tabbed as the team's interim coach at the beginning of the season and has surpassed all expectations, guiding the Wildcats to the brink of bowl eligibility. Northwestern rewarded Braun by removing the interim tag and making him the full-time head coach. Sure, the Wildcats could have tried for a splashier hire, but it's hard to argue with the job Braun has done so far. Grade: B
Notable retentions, extensions

TEAMCOACHSTATUSANALYSIS
team logoDan LanningExtendedLanning signed a six-year, $45 million contract extension that will keep the second-year coach with the Ducks through the 2028 season. He took over in Eugene in 2022, and has kept the Ducks in the College Football Playoff discussion in each of his two years leading the program.
team logoGus MalzahnExtendedMalzahn helped usher in the new era of UCF in the Big 12. His new deal will pay him an average of $4 million per year over the next two seasons and will increase to an average of $5.5 million during the last two seasons of the contract. He is 23-14 in three seasons with the Knights, and the new contract should come with the expectation that he will bring them into Big 12 championship contention in the near future.
team logoJeff MonkenExtendedMonken received a contract extension through 2027 that will pay the coach more than $2 million per year. He has been properly rewarded for flipping the script in the Army-Navy rivalry as the Black Knights have won five of their last seven games against their rivals. 
team logoSam PittmanRetainedThere was a question surrounding the status of Pittman after a six-game losing streak in the middle of the 2023 season. However, athletic director Hunter Yurachek announced on Nov. 19 that Pittman will be given another season to try to turn around the program. Pittman is 23-24 (11-22 SEC) in four seasons leading the Razorbacks.

How the öööö is Smith an "A+" hire for MSU?

They said "rebuilt the Beavers program into a consistent team despite challenges in the recruiting department." What challenges?

As far as "consistency" they have been consistently medioce. He's 34 and ööööing 35 as a head coach in a then-PAC-12 with only maybe four top programs and tons of patsies to beat up? How the öööö is going to fare in the Big-Eleventy-Seven (I can't keep track anymore) with UMIch, The O$U, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa AND THREE OF THE FOUR TOP PROGRAMS HE USED TO NOT BE ABLE TO BEAT IN THE PAC-12 . . . AND NONE OF THE PAC-12 PATSIES??? What a ööööty hire.

Then again, I think MSU is about to be cash poor after they are forced to pay Tucker ALL of his money as there is a nice trail of emails that they were looking for reasons/excuses to dump him even before the news came out about him pleasuring himself while on the phone with a female consultant.

Many FSU fans would disagree. Jimbo is a program wrecker. He can recruit but obviously is t keen on development. Nor recruiting g his LOS. That’s why he was fired at FSU. Probably similar reasons at A2M
F$U fans are spoiled tards. There's a big-ass trophy in their trophy case which Jimbo put there, and six 10 win seasons our of the eight that he was there (and 9 wins one of the other two seasons). I'm not here to praise Fisher, but WTF makes ANYONE think that Elko is a more successful coach than Fisher?

Back