2024 Transfer Portal

I am operating under the assumption that these defections coming on the heels of Jordan Williams recent proclaimation are a signal that a significant upgrade to our defensive roster is in the works.
Yes. It seems like the offense turned a corner in attitude and performance sooner. Allowing Thacker to stay seems to have permitted Gef softness and bad attitudes to remain on the defense.

There are about as many 5 stars as there are NFL first round draft picks in any given year. If someone is a legit 5-star they would be stupid to play any more than 3 years of CFB. Therefore, they would be stupid to wait on anybody's bench.

This might actually work to diminish the factories depth. They have to decide whether to take every highest rated player they can or have 2 tiers where some will stay awhile and be content to come off the bench as backups for a couple of years.
Flat wrong. The factories can pay more for these guys to sit. Also can easily pay to replace them.

Flat wrong. The factories can pay more for these guys to sit. Also can easily pay to replace them.
Ever since these players were kids they had one thing on their mind that is to be on the field playing. Any 4 & 5 star that is worth having expects to be on the field playing. The ones that are satisfied sitting on the bench collecting NIL money might not really be as highly skilled as they are rated.

For as interesting as it is to follow the chaos that is the Portal, and laugh at some of the losses at uga, the sad thing is, this is only the beginning…….

Just wait until within the next 5 years kids will transfer every year without having to sit. Followed by, transferring in-season. And while the in-season thing seems hard to believe, its not as far fetched as it seems.

1. Some schools start later and/or have drop/add later. This would allow kids to potentially be on a team through 3 games.
2. Some schools are still on the quarter system. I believe Stanford is one. They start much later in September.
3. The kid is accepted into the next school, and continues taking online classes at the current school that semester, while playing for the new school.

The NCAA will have no backbone and inability to stop this. They know they will never win in court going forward. The only solve to prevent this is the through autonomy, where the P4 (we’ll see if a new P12 will count) govern themselves and establish guardrails upfront that kids have to abide by in order to play P4 football. It will be in the annual contracts they sign upfront.

Sad thing is, this all could have been prevented years ago. As CFB evolved into a billion dollar industry making coaches and AD’s very rich, all that had to have been established was a revenue sharing system, and I truly believe we wouldn’t even see things like 4,000+ kids in the Portal.

You are discounting their egos too much. They may sit a year, perhaps 2, but not 3 in most cases. I was responding to a story about Aaron Murray bitching about 5 stars moving.

This hasn't settled out yet. Eventually the choice is going to be if you sign a 5 star he better be getting significant snaps by the end of year 1 or he is gone. It will be sort of like Rule 5 in baseball. Don't sign him unless you are going to use him, unless you are so deep that you could use a backup for a year.

What I can’t wait for is during games when someone scores, while the music blares and the replay is running, they post his Venmo QR on the screen so everybody in the stands can send him “love”. Hunger Games here we come.

from a Kelly Q tweet:

"Jordan Williams said the lack of GT guys going into the portal has a lot to do with how happy everyone is with the team cue and what Coach Key is building at GT. He said the team is very close."
and since then, we've had four guys hit the portal. Almost doubling the portal number.
I don't doubt the team being close and the players, for the most part, buying into Key.
But cue Alanis Morrissette now.

and since then, we've had four guys hit the portal. Almost doubling the portal number.
I don't doubt the team being close and the players, for the most part, buying into Key.
I'm guessing we are processing guys who just won't play out, unless Heflin is better than we thought and he heads to Alabama

4 guys that haven’t seen the field, and never will. If you couldn’t see the field on defense last year, then you better transfer. Everyone one of those dudes will be transferring to lower level conferences.

4 guys that haven’t seen the field, and never will. If you couldn’t see the field on defense last year, then you better transfer. Everyone one of those dudes will be transferring to lower level conferences.
Somebody would have to go deep to find film on them.

Actually, it's now six.
1 freshman OL
2 freshman DT (one who is injured and missed the season)
1 freshman DE
1 DT leaving as a grad transfer
1 LB who I think the coaches had high hopes for in the future

Maybe the bulk of those guys were getting redshirted.
I don't think many of them had a lot of other P5 offers.
But that opens another set of questions - if they are getting processed out, why did they get offers in the first place? Are we not that good at evaluating or projecting how talent will shape up?

Actually, it's now six.
1 freshman OL
2 freshman DT (one who is injured and missed the season)
1 freshman DE
1 DT leaving as a grad transfer
1 LB who I think the coaches had high hopes for in the future

But that opens another set of questions - if they are getting processed out, why did they get offers in the first place? Are we not that good at evaluating or projecting how talent will shape up?

there will always be misses in recruiting. Some of them maybe were signed to fill out a roster. Also, we haven’t really been in a position to be too picky with kids the last 5 years. Kids will always look for better opportunities or situations for themselves. It’s not like Singleton, Rutherford, King, Haynes, the starting OL are all transferring out. It’s all dudes who are zero impact players, taking a roster spot away from another kid who at worst will be as useless and at best useful. Sounds harsh, but that’s how the game goes now.

I mostly agree. I mean, if you are a FB player, you want to play FB! Right? So, possibly sitting on the bench at GT and working you butt off in class... well that takes a different kinda dude right there... Love GT, Love Coach Key or Dedication to the Education!! So, I can realistically see some of these guys transferring to G5 or even D-II to to finish their careers. Probably start and not have to work nearly as hard on the classroom!!

BTW, I had to take some cold medicine and it makes me loopy, so Rule #1 is in full effect here!! :lol:

And going forward, until the Portal has some guardrails, the Portal will likely encompass at least half the annual roster. HS recruiting will remain important, but as Mike Farrell said on “Full Ride” Thursday, the helicopter visits have decreased and will continue to decrease. Oddly enough, the Portal has actually given some time back to coaches. They don’t have to spend as much time visiting during bye weeks and or babysitting commits. The leverage HS kids had committing & de-committing at the last minute isn’t nearly as impactful. Next Wednesday is NSD #1, and no one is really paying attention anymore. It’s become all about the Portal.

Back