2024 Transfer Portal

What's the basis for a legal challenge? Millions of people stay in jobs because they aren't talented enough to get a better-paying one.
I think he’s saying the 4-year limit is next to go down. And collegiate athletes simply have to be students at the school, and then they won’t even have to be that. The basis would be lost earnings due to the 4-year limit on playing college football.

Looks like I may again be eligible to play college football soon enough. *groans standing up from couch* not that I would.

In all seriousness, though, by this same logic the NCAA has no basis for limiting the number of years athletes can be eligible. So long as they're able to stay enrolled, they will be eligible. Even fewer HS athletes will get an opportunity (as we've seen with the transfer portal and covid eligibility). Expect the Deion strategy to gain more foothold as 8th year players transfer to their third or fourth teams and your rosters are jigsaw puzzles of other college programs.

The only thing that restores sanity is if we the fans stop watching.

Ehh a lot of jobs have contracts. Biggest example is being a teacher. You can't leave mid year and go to another school. You essentially get black balled if your break your contract.

1) I wonder if some of the pols and judges are purposely pushing this to make players employees because that is the only thing that stops this train

2) The big question is will that “kill” amateur athletics because no one is going to employee women’s golf team. They already lose money on it so why would they go deeper in the hole.

Honestly, I believe this needs to happen. Fans really only need to do this for 1, maybe 2 years at most because the massive contracts and buyouts that are getting financed aren't going to sustain 1 or 2 years worth of losses. That would fix a lot of things. Do I think the fans can break their addiction to worship this idol? Not a chance.

Ehh a lot of jobs have contracts. Biggest example is being a teacher. You can't leave mid year and go to another school. You essentially get black balled if your break your contract.
But “they” have decided that scholarship based contracts are invalid so it is pure work at will. It is crazy at some level to say that players don’t have to fulfill their side of the contract that they willingly sign but here we are.

Looks like I may again be eligible to play college football soon enough. *groans standing up from couch* not that I would.

In all seriousness, though, by this same logic the NCAA has no basis for limiting the number of years athletes can be eligible. So long as they're able to stay enrolled, they will be eligible. Even fewer HS athletes will get an opportunity (as we've seen with the transfer portal and covid eligibility). Expect the Deion strategy to gain more foothold as 8th year players transfer to their third or fourth teams and your rosters are jigsaw puzzles of other college programs.

After a few years you would get diminishing returns. A 27 year old college football player who was not good enough to make the NFL is not going to as valuable as an 18 year olds potential value to the team.

1) I wonder if some of the pols and judges are purposely pushing this to make players employees because that is the only thing that stops this train

2) The big question is will that “kill” amateur athletics because no one is going to employee women’s golf team. They already lose money on it so why would they go deeper in the hole.
For #2, Title IX saves the women's golf team. It's the men's golf team that's getting the boot.

For #2, Title IX saves the women's golf team. It's the men's golf team that's getting the boot.
Prety much all college sports are on welfare from football and men's basketball. Maybe a few baseball programs break even. Naturally the beneficiaries will be selected according to the DEI hierarchy.

What if “there are no more scholarships” and each school hires athletes and pays them school expenses plus whatever. The athlete is basically working a job and paying his own way…. Then does that not bypass title 9?

What if “there are no more scholarships” and each school hires athletes and pays them school expenses plus whatever. The athlete is basically working a job and paying his own way…. Then does that not bypass title 9?
I personally can't imagine the courts allowing such a blatant workaround of the aims of Title IX but I've been surprised before.

What's the basis for a legal challenge? Millions of people stay in jobs because they aren't talented enough to get a better-paying one.
Contracted employees with a fixed time? If you are doing a good job in many states, you can’t easily get rid of people unless yo eliminate the job.

I personally can't imagine the courts allowing such a blatant workaround of the aims of Title IX but I've been surprised before.

Believe Title IX relates only to number of schollies so it would fly right now, but I imagine the response would be that courts say NIL money has to be equal between men’s/women’s sports. No clue whether that is legal or not, but assuming it is, it would result in some rich ööööing softball players.

Believe Title IX relates only to number of schollies so it would fly right now, but I imagine the response would be that courts say NIL money has to be equal between men’s/women’s sports. No clue whether that is legal or not, but assuming it is, it would result in some rich ööööing softball players.
I'd assume the same. As long as NIL isn't directly connected to the school, Title IX doesn't apply. But as soon as payments are connected to the school (and at that point, I assume the payments are not technically "NIL" anymore), I don't see how Title IX wouldn't apply.

The NFL has successful argued that they can put a minimum age / class limit on players entering the league for health / safety / liability reasons. The NCAA should similarly institute a maximum age for the same reasons.

Back