A Talk with Campus Leaders

It's not all that bad. It sounds like they are telling athletes to major in HTS, and then within that major, focus on sports by taking a lot of classes on that.

If this can help them become high school teachers/coaches more than management can, I am all for it.

Would these guys really make good teachers and coaches? A lot of jocks , being natural athletes, just don't make good coaches. I don't even want to think about even some of our jocks being teachers, that thought scares me! Although, they would have no problem maintaining classroom discipline as an authority figure.

I would expect the company that makes the pump/valve to use more esoteric tools in their R&D department. Most engineering in the real world is buying components off the shelf, choosing the right sizes and HP based on application and then installing the components as a system.

That's a hell of a broad statement.

I did not look through 11 pages of posts....but in case it has not been mentioned...the brilliant powers that be at GT have decided not to allow a B.S. in Sports and Technology. Instead it is a certificate program...kind of like concentration within another degree.

Again...no help in broadening the curriculum at GT. :rolleyes:

what in the world would a sports technology major include? it sounds like pure fluff.

tony-clifton-on-taxi.jpg

Well, yes, it is a broad statement. Maybe we should ask everyone who's ever had the job title of "engineer" if they used quadratic equations as part of their job duties?

i always think how your avatar matches the content of your posts. ridiculous idiocy

My post was in response to doers, ok?

You're right, the curriculum does produce doers . The senior capstone course in particular is very well designed to encourage application of a theoretical foundation. That still has no bearing on the ranking though. ;)

To add to this, I'd actually characterize the AE fixed-wing capstone add being virtually worthless. Improving these sorts of courses would go a long way fixing the perception of theory-based curriculums.

You're right, the curriculum does produce doers . The senior capstone course in particular is very well designed to encourage application of a theoretical foundation. That still has no bearing on the ranking though. ;)

To add to this, I'd actually characterize the AE fixed-wing capstone add being virtually worthless. Improving these sorts of courses would go a long way fixing the perception of theory-based curriculums.

I took statics from an AE douche. I wouldn't trust those öööös to put my fold down try in the up-right position.

Whether or not it's truly necessary, calculus is a great barrier against the slippery slope that leads to Fundamentals of Basketball. I'm completely in favor of keeping the calculus requirement. Learning that a line has a frickin' slope is no harder than it was learning to read--the comparative derivative of the learning curves is smaller. Trying to motivate the student-athletes academically through more interesting programs like SST is definitely worth trying before nuking the definitive engineering-school class. If they can enjoy the rest of their classes they'll be able to tolerate the one hard one.

Well, yes, it is a broad statement. Maybe we should ask everyone who's ever had the job title of "engineer" if they used quadratic equations as part of their job duties?

I think the point is not just it is a broad statement; it is a broad statement from a fairly narrow perspective.

I knew a Marine who was a "Sanitation Engineer". I'll bet he never even heard the word "quadratic".

Back