A Talk with Campus Leaders

New faculty on that side of campus teach the large core courses because the material is pretty much standard. For an elective, they would need to create new material. They're given a TA to bring down workload.

Faculty candidates don't ask about the undergraduate students. If they did, it would be the absolute last thing they would care about.

I'd argue that GTs drive to abandon teaching and chase the research money is one of the worst things to happen to the school in the last 20 years.

I'd argue that GTs drive to abandon teaching and chase the research money is one of the worst things to happen to the school in the last 20 years.

It is what it is. Rankings are in large part driven by faculty roster. The premier scientists in a field aren't going to come teach at a school that devalues research; if they had, they wouldn't be where they are to begin with. If you want the school that focuses on instruction, go to Rose-Hulman.

what in the world would a sports technology major include? it sounds like pure fluff.

I agree to an extent, that it would be little more than a resume booster for a sports writing job, but I actually think there's a lot of angles you could go with this. There could be materials classes and the effects various materials have had on player safety across all sports.

There could be some classes on the impact of computers and scouting

there could be classes on perception of speed versus laser timing...

I mean sports has a lot of technology driven components. There could be a discussion on why certain sports appeal to areas or demographics and if its a gap solely based on technological availability (i.e. ice hockey) or something deeper. Things like that.

I mean you could even go as far back as the ancient Roman times and early olympics.

Really I think a Sports Management degree with a focus on number crunching and applied scouting with simple computing could be something GT could offer.

I agree to an extent, that it would be little more than a resume booster for a sports writing job, but I actually think there's a lot of angles you could go with this. There could be materials classes and the effects various materials have had on player safety across all sports.

There could be some classes on the impact of computers and scouting

there could be classes on perception of speed versus laser timing...

I mean sports has a lot of technology driven components. There could be a discussion on why certain sports appeal to areas or demographics and if its a gap solely based on technological availability (i.e. ice hockey) or something deeper. Things like that.

I mean you could even go as far back as the ancient Roman times and early olympics.

Really I think a Sports Management degree with a focus on number crunching and applied scouting with simple computing could be something GT could offer.

statistical analysis of current metrics for athletes would be an interesting class, and the others could potentially end up as independent studies, but I don't think there's any way you could make a degree out of it.

what in the world would a sports technology major include? it sounds like pure fluff.

If you really wanted a premier sports technology major it would include:

1. Materials Science
Rubber, composites, textile and fiber science, turfs

2. Mechanical Engineering
Mechanics of materials, deformable bodies, thermodynamics, heat transfer

3. Biomedical Engineering
Biomechanics, modeling of fluid flow, micro-fluidics

4. Electrical engineering
Basic Analog and Digital oscilloscopes and basic optics

5. Biology
Vascular and anatomical sciences

etc.

You could have a very strong top-of-the-line major or you could have a place to hide football players for 4 years and train them to be janitors. I would rather have the former.

1. Materials Science

5. Biology
Sounds like Rocks for Jocks, Socks for Jocks, and Shocks for Jocks on steroids.

Sounds like Rocks for Jocks, Socks for Jocks, and Shocks for Jocks on steroids.

I know 2 guys who tailored their mechanical engineering majors to be able to work in the sports/garments industry. One graduated with materials science and works for Nike Research and the other works for Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati. You can leverage your GT degree to achieve a bunch of myriad goals.

1. Materials Science

5. Biology

etc.

You could have a very strong top-of-the-line major or you could have a place to hide football players for 4 years and train them to be janitors. I would rather have the former.

fair points. I agree.

why do you make this so black and white? a lot of us want GT football to succeed, but not at the cost of integrity or prestige.

Because it is the truth. The decision is being/has been made. If you agree with that path then you indirectly do not want football to succeed.

Because it is the truth. The decision is being/has been made. If you agree with that path then you indirectly do not want football to succeed.

blazing-saddles-155.jpg

I respectfully disagree. Difficulty doesn't necessarily imply ability. Heck, uga has completely sold out for football, and look what it garnered them. Stanford and ND (although they could be fudging) are competitive.

I respectfully disagree. Difficulty doesn't necessarily imply ability. Heck, uga has completely sold out for football, and look what it garnered them. Stanford and ND (although they could be fudging) are competitive.

ND has two alleged rapes hanging on its football team (one victim even committed suicide, no charges filed by ND). I would say they are not that clean. Also a ND film guy died when team decided to practice in heavy winds and sent him up a mobile tower to film the practice. They are a FB factory...

This thread shows the comparisons you make (ND & Stan.) are not similar to GT.

You could say that about a lot of things...

If you don't agree with oversigning, you indirectly don't want football to succeed.

If you don't agree with pulling scholarships for players who don't perform well, you indirectly don't want football to succeed.

If you don't agree with players taking cheap shot like Bear Bryant's teams would have, you indirectly don't want football to succeed.

Just because you are willing to draw a line at something doesn't mean you don't want football to succeed. It just means you aren't willing for football to succeed at the expense of something else you consider to be more important, whether it be academics, decency, or playing the game the right way.

Back