A Talk with Campus Leaders

There's not a "Tech" issue, that's where engineering has gone as a field. As a result, you've seen the rise of Engineering Technology majors. That's what the state really needs, not a low-cost engineering major.

Georgia Tech's extension in Marietta which became Southern Tech (now Southern Polytech) offers ET degrees.

Maybe Tech should merge (recombine?) with Southern Poly and Georgia State (the old Commerce School). Duplicate programs could be eliminated. Three campuses, one school, one football team.

For example, Purdue University offers ET degrees in addition to a traditional engineering program.

This is sad. I guess a lot of it is a sign of the times, with less demand for "doers" because of the decline in manufacturing and now construction. I hope there are enough jobs for you young whippersnappers doing research.

I would rather see Tech trying to broaden its mission and not narrow it. I guess we do need another engineering school in the state after all. We have made our bed and now we must lie in it.

However, the ISyE school has been no.1 in US for several consecutive years. It's grads are largely, not solely, doers.

Mission

The mission of MIT is to advance knowledge and educate students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the twenty-first century.
The Institute is committed to generating, disseminating, and preserving knowledge, and to working with others to bring this knowledge to bear on the world's great challenges. MIT is dedicated to providing its students with an education that combines rigorous academic study and the excitement of discovery with the support and intellectual stimulation of a diverse campus community. We seek to develop in each member of the MIT community the ability and passion to work wisely, creatively, and effectively for the betterment of humankind.

Similar, yet different. I particularly like the "diverse campus community" statement.

No, it's about the number of classes. Early asst. profs will teach large undergrad lectures and tenured faculty get the small grad electives. A couple of football players doesn't impact anyone's decision process.

I don't know how faculty teaching assignments in management work, but I know in mathematics, new hires typically are given nicer teaching assignments (senior-level courses, graduate topics courses, etc.) as a way to help them get their research off the ground by not dealing with large administrative loads as part of their teaching and recruiting grad students to work under them. Heck, UNL is planning to have me teach the core graduate sequence in my area during the second year of my three-year appointment. More experienced faculty tend to draw the larger, less enjoyable classes to teach because it's viewed as part of their duty to the department. A couple of football players wouldn't impact a decision, but given the number of student-athletes in that college, I imagine that when a faculty candidate asks current faculty "And what are the students like?", there will be discussion of the number of student athletes and their skills as students.

However, the ISyE school has been no.1 in US for several consecutive years. It's grads are largely, not solely, doers.

What was the cause for the improvement in rank? If you tell me it's due to a practical industrial engineering education program producing doers, I'll know that you're full of öööö.

What was the cause for the improvement in rank? If you tell me it's due to a practical industrial engineering education program producing doers, I'll know that you're full of öööö.

ISyE has been near the top for decades now. Any recent changes wouldn't show up.

I don't know how faculty teaching assignments in management work, but I know in mathematics, new hires typically are given nicer teaching assignments (senior-level courses, graduate topics courses, etc.) as a way to help them get their research off the ground by not dealing with large administrative loads as part of their teaching and recruiting grad students to work under them. Heck, UNL is planning to have me teach the core graduate sequence in my area during the second year of my three-year appointment. More experienced faculty tend to draw the larger, less enjoyable classes to teach because it's viewed as part of their duty to the department. A couple of football players wouldn't impact a decision, but given the number of student-athletes in that college, I imagine that when a faculty candidate asks current faculty "And what are the students like?", there will be discussion of the number of student athletes and their skills as students.

New faculty on that side of campus teach the large core courses because the material is pretty much standard. For an elective, they would need to create new material. They're given a TA to bring down workload.

Faculty candidates don't ask about the undergraduate students. If they did, it would be the absolute last thing they would care about.

ISyE has been near the top for decades now. Any recent changes wouldn't show up.

ISYE has been #1 every time since the USNews poll began except for once in the 80's when it was #2 to Berkeley.

Reference an earlier post, given the way Nat Dorsey manhandled Julius Peppers, I don't think Peppers' kid would come anywhere near the GT campus.

Georgia Tech's extension in Marietta which became Southern Tech (now Southern Polytech) offers ET degrees.

Maybe Tech should merge (recombine?) with Southern Poly and Georgia State (the old Commerce School). Duplicate programs could be eliminated. Three campuses, one school, one football team.

For example, Purdue University offers ET degrees in addition to a traditional engineering program.

Tech would become the largest school in the state and still have a smaller following than Ugag

And corporate recruiters hiring ISyE grads would tell you that your full of it, if you think they are seeking out researchers and theorists.
How bout, applied research, as common ground here '07?

Tech would become the largest school in the state and still have a smaller following than Ugag

With the effort to combine schools for budgetary reasons, this could actually have political legs. And SPSU should embrace it because they stand to lose the most from UGAy foray into injineerin.

The definitions of Engineering and Engineering Technology sound like semantics. 50 years ago research would be done by scientists (science majors) while engineering was the application of science to real world problems.

Even the old ESM school was not supposed to be true engineering application, but more science focused.

The definitions of Engineering and Engineering Technology sound like semantics.

They're not. If you were an ET, you'd take Survey of Calculus instead of Calculus and classes are taught entirely hands on.

Imagine a fluid mechanics class where, instead of deriving Navier Stokes, you're allowed to play with a pump, practical concepts are explained (like TDH) and you're given an excel-based "calculator" where you put in some information and an answer comes out. Instead of using differential equations to determine pressure drop across a valve, you're given a simplified approximate equation that uses algebra.

If you're want to size a pump into a typical application (probably 95% of applications), all you really need are that excel file and algebra equation, so hiring an expensive engineer is really overkill when a low-cost ET can come in and do the work.

Also, there's no research in an ET department, it's purely teaching. It's mostly only offered at the BSET level, but every once and a while you'll see an MSET (which is usually just a bridge for people who already have BS/BA degrees in something else).

A few big-name schools offering both Engineering and Engineering Technology:

Arizona State
BYU
Cal State Poly
University of Central Florida
University of Cincinnati
Colorado State University
University of Houston
Indiana
Kansas State
UMass
University of Nebraska
SUNY
UNC-Charlotte
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Purdue
Rochester
Texas A & M
Texas Tech

Last edited:
phd, I understand the difference in the degrees but I was making a different point.

By the current definitions then most industries would rather have those trained as ETs but we call them Engineers. As a manager, if I caught an engineer designing a pipeline using differential equations I'd accuse him of killing a fly with a sledgehammer and tell him to quit wasting time.

I would expect the company that makes the pump/valve to use more esoteric tools in their R&D department. Most engineering in the real world is buying components off the shelf, choosing the right sizes and HP based on application and then installing the components as a system.

I did not look through 11 pages of posts....but in case it has not been mentioned...the brilliant powers that be at GT have decided not to allow a B.S. in Sports and Technology. Instead it is a certificate program...kind of like concentration within another degree.

Again...no help in broadening the curriculum at GT. :rolleyes:

I did not look through 11 pages of posts....but in case it has not been mentioned...the brilliant powers that be at GT have decided not to allow a B.S. in Sports and Technology. Instead it is a certificate program...kind of like concentration within another degree.

:biggthumpup:

It's not all that bad. It sounds like they are telling athletes to major in HTS, and then within that major, focus on sports by taking a lot of classes on that.

If this can help them become high school teachers/coaches more than management can, I am all for it.

And corporate recruiters hiring ISyE grads would tell you that your full of it, if you think they are seeking out researchers and theorists.
How bout, applied research, as common ground here '07?

The rankings are based more on faculty roster than they are corporate opinion.

Had the BoR approved the new major?

Back