A Talk with Campus Leaders

I don't know the numbers but it really seems to me that Johnson is graduating more players than Gailey. I could be wrong but if that us true then I would say he us recruiting exactly what the school wants.

Johnson is doing a great job so far. Even though the 2008 class had 11 of its 20 commits before he took the job, he has done well with them. 15 of the 20 will have GT degrees...13 already and 2 more by spring. The other 5 did not flunk out but transferred to play football elsewhere and will earn their degrees there hopefully.

Johnson is doing a great job so far. Even though the 2008 class had 11 of its 20 commits before he took the job, he has done well with them. 15 of the 20 will have GT degrees...13 already and 2 more by spring. The other 5 did not flunk out but transferred to play football elsewhere and will earn their degrees there hopefully.

That will fill the stands.

That will fill the stands.

you do understand that if guys do not graduate that you start losing scholarships to offer, right?

so actually it does fill the stands because if our guys dont graduate then we will not have a team at all over time

So it would seem that 1992 is incorrect in saying the GTAA people/advisors are doing a poor job? It sounds like the players are graduating... therefore showing the AA is capable and maybe worthy of a few or a few more(gasp). Exceptions.

1992, you can't convince most of the kids out there of the odds. You hit the nail in the head mentioning CJ and FK parents...that however is not the norm. I don't know the numbers but it really seems to me that Johnson is graduating more players than Gailey. I could be wrong but if that us true then I would say he us recruiting exactly what the school wants.

If they were the norm, we wouldn't have the issues that we do. Bama and co. also wouldn't be able to over-recruit like they do.

You put more effort into typing that post than students are willing to put into getting out of taking calculus here. It's not a question of whether it's possible or not, it's a question of effort.

I have heard it from the AA that they encourage all of the football players to take calc at GPC. I think they usually take it during the summer. The path is already laid out.

If they were the norm, we wouldn't have the issues that we do. Bama and co. also wouldn't be able to over-recruit like they do.

Players auditioning for spots at places like Bama is asinine. If I was a 5 star player and wanted to make it to the NFL I would pick a school where I could start asap.

Players auditioning for spots at places like Bama is asinine. If I was a 5 star player and wanted to make it to the NFL I would pick a school where I could start asap.

If you were a 5 star player smart enough to make it into Georgia Tech we would take you. However, it seems most 5 star players don't have that mentality.

you do understand that if guys do not graduate that you start losing scholarships to offer, right?

so actually it does fill the stands because if our guys dont graduate then we will not have a team at all over time

Totally went right over your head.

I agree. I think it's sad that so many talented kids don't seem to care.

uhhuh sure
explain then, oh super brain with the idiotic comments

You seem

82894097.gif

So it would seem that 1992 is incorrect in saying the GTAA people/advisors are doing a poor job? It sounds like the players are graduating... therefore showing the AA is capable and maybe worthy of a few or a few more(gasp). Exceptions.

1992 is completely incorrect. So far, there has not been a single player to complete their final year of eligibility under Paul without having their degree from GT. Additionally, others who have left the program for football reasons (transfer or NFL) have done so without flunking out.

15 out of 20 from Class of 2008 getting a GT degree is fantastic.

1992 is completely incorrect. So far, there has not been a single player to complete their final year of eligibility under Paul without having their degree from GT. Additionally, others who have left the program for football reasons (transfer or NFL) have done so without flunking out.

15 out of 20 from Class of 2008 getting a GT degree is fantastic.

I wasn't incorrect. We had problems (flunkgate) in the past and I had seen someone say that the support department struggled and mentioned that. I did not assert that they were failing only that if they were, they needed to be removed. With that kind of graduation rate, it would appear they're doing fine with academic caliber of students we're letting in. The question would be could they support more lesser students? If so, Johnson has a very good argument for asking for additional exceptions and I don't see how the Hill could refuse the request given the track record.

Last edited:
Regarding calculus, all a student has to do is to go take the class at one of the several University System of Georgia schools that are academically very easy, transfer the course in, and the requirement is done. Truly a piece of cake to get around this "hurdle."

This is one thing I've never understood. Why aren't all of the athletes taking Calc, CS, and he other "hard" requirements at GPC? Is it not allowed by some NCAA guideline? It's not like they need a rigorous Calculus or CS background to major in management.

Why not offer conditional exceptions? ( Actually, I think this would be a good rule across the NCAA. )

What I mean is that all exceptions for all schools would be ineligible to play as true freshmen, mandatory redshirts. If they pass criteria of progress towards a degree with decent grades after that first year then they are eligible to play.

I see no reason not to allow school/team officials to give players the benefit of the doubt on acceptance if they are held accountable for the success record of those exceptions. There would be no incentive for them to let in anyone who obviously can't hack it as they would never get to play.

You could even make the performance criteria for non-playing freshman exceptions higher than other freshmen to continue with the team.

Back