ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

I'm cool with this. But has there been a rationale given for why they want to do it? I don't see any safety improvements from switching out UCF for Boston College. It's not to reduce travel, UGA is about as short a trip as we have. Is it just to save money from the pay-to-play games?

Edit: Nevermind, saw the discussion in the other thread.
Idiot! It is so we can win the CFP!

Why not play starting the last week of August and play every other week. That's every two weeks to December 19th I think to play 9 games. The conferences are going to choose their champions anyway (polls will). Two weeks is plenty of time to catch sick kids, plus you test before practice and before games.

One proposal league athletic directors are considering is dividing the ACC’s 15 schools — traditional football independent and partial conference member Notre Dame would be included — into three geographic pods of five. Teams would play each pod rival twice, accounting for eight games.

The aim then would be, in concert with the Southeastern Conference, to add a ninth, and hopefully 10th, contest for each school, preserving the four annual ACC-SEC in-state rivalries: Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Louisville-Kentucky.

Remember, teams in different pods can play one another, but probably not twice.

Option No. 1
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke.
Pod B: Virginia Tech, Virginia, Clemson, N.C. State, Wake Forest
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame.

Option No. 2
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech.
Pod B: North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia.

Option No. 3
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville.
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech.

Link
https://richmond.com/sports/college...SS5XWKnvqaBPOLunFvKMD1vT_u6aRQ0P5QkNMpWezNiRU

One proposal league athletic directors are considering is dividing the ACC’s 15 schools — traditional football independent and partial conference member Notre Dame would be included — into three geographic pods of five. Teams would play each pod rival twice, accounting for eight games.

The aim then would be, in concert with the Southeastern Conference, to add a ninth, and hopefully 10th, contest for each school, preserving the four annual ACC-SEC in-state rivalries: Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Louisville-Kentucky.

Option No. 1

Option No. 2

Option No. 3

Link
https://richmond.com/sports/college...SS5XWKnvqaBPOLunFvKMD1vT_u6aRQ0P5QkNMpWezNiRU

The pod I want to be in is the one that does not have sure losses like Clemson, Miami, and UNC and has all winnable games like Duke, Wake Forest, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt.

Option No. 1

Option No. 2

Option No. 3

Link
The Pod proposals show us on our knees once again for Notre Dame.

I have no idea why.

“What we’ve suggested is if they play conference games only plus one game — because we know the ACC and SEC like to play their rivalry games — if they went in that direction, then we’d provide an alternative,” said Gary Stokan, the CEO of Peach Bowl Inc., which operates the annual Kickoff Games.

“We’ve said we’ll match up West Virginia versus Virginia on Monday night on ESPN on Labor Day, and then the next week we’ll play the North Carolina-Auburn game that’s scheduled,” Stokan said. The Tar Heels and Tigers are are scheduled to play the third and final Kickoff Game this season on Sept. 12. Stokan’s plan lets Florida and Georgia exit to play their ACC/SEC games and gives WVU, Virginia, UNC and Auburn, who do not have an annual non-conference rivalry game, a simple “plus one” game outside of conference play.

Stokan said he believes that if the Big 12, ACC and SEC nix non-conference games and select a “plus one” model, then the Power 5 will also agree to only play Power 5 teams in their non-conference game. If that’s the outcome, there could be competition for those non-conference games, but the Kickoff Games will make it easy on WVU, Virginia, North Carolina and Auburn.

Link

Three Power 5 conferences are actively trying to preserve their 14 non-conference games among the ACC, Big 12 and SEC after the Big Ten and Pac-12 opted last week to cancel all non-conference games as the COVID-19 pandemic grips the country. The three Power 5 conferences are discussing several scheduling options, which could also be tweaked over the next two weeks. It's possible one or all three could move to an eight-game conference schedule with one or two non-conference games; a nine-game conference schedule with one non-conference game against a Power 5 opponent; and a 10-game, conference-only schedule.

Notre Dame is expected to be an honorary member of the ACC for the 2020 season should a fall football schedule be developed. If so, one of Notre Dame's non-conference would likely be at home against Arkansas. The Razorbacks are scheduled to travel to Notre Dame in Week 2.

"As we stand here today what I believe with our conversations with commissioner Sankey, the SEC, the Big 12 and the ACC are on the same page as far as our collective desire to be patient before making any decisions," Arkansas athletics director Hunter Yurachek said. "You look at some of the in-state rivalries that exist, especially between the SEC and the ACC, it makes sense that Clemson should play South Carolina, Georgia should play Georgia Tech and Florida should play Florida State. Just eliminating those games because you want to play a conference only schedule, at least at this point, does not make a great deal of sense. All the options are on the table,I just want to play football this year. And I think (so do) our football team, our football staff. If that’s eight SEC games and one non-conference game or 10 SEC games, we’ll play whatever we’re able to play this year." Yurachek further stated

As those public-relations campaigns kick into high gear, so is the work behind the scenes to save non-conference games among Power 5 programs. The odd men out: FCS and Group of 5 programs.

Link

Notre Dame is expected to be an honorary member of the ACC for the 2020 season should a fall football schedule be developed.
As an “honorary” member they should be limited to Honorable Mention when it comes to the conference title.

I wonder if, as an honorary member, they’ll do the honorable thing and share the NBC money.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Tuesday he would like to see the college football season delayed to evaluate the circumstances on campuses as students return during the coronavirus pandemic.

"I don't anticipate a 12-game schedule," Swarbrick told ESPN on Tuesday. "I'd like to start a little later. The value of starting later is you really get to see how your university has done. You have the benefit of all of that information and knowledge, and so I'd like to start a little later. The number for me is probably somewhere between 8 and 10 [games], but whatever is right for the health and safety of the players."

Link

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Tuesday he would like to see the college football season delayed to evaluate the circumstances on campuses as students return during the coronavirus pandemic.

"I don't anticipate a 12-game schedule," Swarbrick told ESPN on Tuesday. "I'd like to start a little later. The value of starting later is you really get to see how your university has done. You have the benefit of all of that information and knowledge, and so I'd like to start a little later. The number for me is probably somewhere between 8 and 10 [games], but whatever is right for the health and safety of the players."

Link

Translation: there is a good chance Notre Dame gets left out of the loop and I will make noise to make sure that everyone else is out of the loop too

Cause you play with yourself.
It is God.
real3-300x168-1.png

Link
If he's really concerned about the safety of his players he would be advocating banning the sport.

Back