All about perspective...

Two years ago, we were 1-1 and "felt good". Last year, we were 2-2 and "felt good". Maybe by year six, we'll be a .500 team at the end of the season.

In 2 and a half years of Geoff Collins football, our best win was against a crappy UNC team. We'll finish this season with 4 wins, and some folks will call it progress.

But I'm feeling good. GME is still going up. But I'm not feeling good about this team going 3-3 against a cupcake, a directional Illinois team, Duke, a trash UNC team, the worst Clemson team in a decade and a Pitt team that bricked us in the face.

Should've beaten NIU. Kennesaw turned out like expected. Beating UNC was a signature win at the time although it has lost its luster since then. Not surprised that we lost to Pitt, just disappointed at the WAY we lost to Pitt. Clemson, as a loss, was encouraging at the time. Not so much now. Duke, I am glad it was a win, but that is a very bad football team. I hope we can win another. But, there are a lot of good teams from here on out.

I'm reading a lot of good posts in this thread. Good, honest assessments - don't agree with all of them but most everybody is avoiding hyperbole in either direction.

So here's a follow up question: if we win three more and go to a bowl, would you or would you not approve of the season?

Our remaining games:
@Virginia
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

Speaking for myself, I would call three more wins (regular season) very good progress. Get to a bowl and win for a 7th would be very, very good.

We've surely had some highs and lows already in the first half of the season, and there are some folks seemingly already chalking this season up as a failure. Let's back up though, and think to what our realistic expectations were at the beginning of the year. I'd really like to think that if I told you this scenario would happen before the season started, most all of you would say, "sign me up!"

So if I told you before the season that through our first 6 games against:

NIU
Kennesaw
Clemson
UNC
Pitt
Duke

that we would be 3-3 with two blowout wins, one win by 4, one blowout loss, and two more losses by 6 and 1, what would you have said then?

I don't think the "how we won/lost" matters so much. If you told everyone we'd be 3-3 at this point, I think most would say, "Yeah, that's what I expected."

Now if you tell us we will be 3-3 the rest of the way, I think most would be quite happy with that. Most of us are not expecting that, however.

I'm reading a lot of good posts in this thread. Good, honest assessments - don't agree with all of them but most everybody is avoiding hyperbole in either direction.

So here's a follow up question: if we win three more and go to a bowl, would you or would you not approve of the season?

Our remaining games:
@Virginia
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

Speaking for myself, I would call three more wins (regular season) very good progress. Get to a bowl and win for a 7th would be very, very good.

Yes, I would call that a success. I just do not see where these three wins are going to come from. I would even take two wins at this point.

Our remaining games:
@Virginia
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

Yes. We are now one questionable call from 4-2.
Pitt probably wins the Coastal this year. They will collapse next year when their entire team graduates.

Two years ago, we were 1-1 and "felt good". Last year, we were 2-2 and "felt good". Maybe by year six, we'll be a .500 team at the end of the season.

In 2 and a half years of Geoff Collins football, our best win was against a crappy UNC team. We'll finish this season with 4 wins, and some folks will call it progress.

But I'm feeling good. GME is still going up. But I'm not feeling good about this team going 3-3 against a cupcake, a directional Illinois team, Duke, a trash UNC team, the worst Clemson team in a decade and a Pitt team that bricked us in the face.
Sounds like you got out of the wrong side of bed today. You should draw some dicks to cheer you up.

Our remaining games:
@Virginia
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

Yes I agree that a total of 6 wins would be steps in the right direction. A bowl win on top of that would very good as well. Seems like this Virginia game is going to be tougher than when I first saw it on the schedule. I'm not sure what to make of BC yet.

Our remaining games:
@Virginia
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

Win 3 more games and I’ll be ecstatic. I’d consider 6 wins this season as being ahead of schedule on the rebuild, and a huge step forward for next year (and for recruiting).

6 was the high water mark going into the season for most under assumption that the strength of schedule would be tougher than it is. It turns out the strength of schedule is not as tough. I still don’t see the progress. We are still getting beat by lower conference teams, Duke should never have been competitive after blowing a 14 point lead, and our defense is still setting records (and not good ones). Maybe we will get to six wins this year, it’s still too soon to know. Ratcheting down the expectations is apologist for the staff and not reflective of why this staff was assembled and handsomely paid. We are in year three. By the end of this season it needs to be crystal clear whether we are moving up, moving down, or staying flat in year 4. If you are thinking to yourself “maybe Collins can get us to a bowl next year” come November 27th then it’s already time to start the next coaching search.

If you are calling this season a success so far then you are goal post movin' looser trying to justify less than mediocrity.

I predicted 4 wins at the beginning of the season not because I was all up in my feels and only wanted four wins but because of what I have witnessed with my own eyes over the past two seasons. (Yes, COVID season actually counts). I thought NIU was a sure win, but I guess sure wins don't really exist for Tech. I thought UNC was a loss and Clemson was a blowout. Call me pleasantly surprised until Tech got blown out by Pitt and stole one from Duke after looking like dog poo after the first half of the first quarter.

Tech should win one of the next three, maybe two or none. I have no favorable outlook for the final two games but you never know.

So 4-8 would be an improvement but far from a success.

Go Jackets!

6 was the high water mark going into the season for most under assumption that the strength of schedule would be tougher than it is. It turns out the strength of schedule is not as tough. I still don’t see the progress. We are still getting beat by lower conference teams, Duke should never have been competitive after blowing a 14 point lead, and our defense is still setting records (and not good ones). Maybe we will get to six wins this year, it’s still too soon to know. Ratcheting down the expectations is apologist for the staff and not reflective of why this staff was assembled and handsomely paid. We are in year three. By the end of this season it needs to be crystal clear whether we are moving up, moving down, or staying flat in year 4. If you are thinking to yourself “maybe Collins can get us to a bowl next year” come November 27th then it’s already time to start the next coaching search.
Yes we are in year three but where are the recruits on the offensive and defensive lines? Your QB is a sophomore this year. I thought we needed to get to six wins this year to show we're moving in the right direction but when you just judge by saying it's his third year it doesn't resonate with what he really has to work with yet. I'm not trying to make excuses I'm just trying to show what a rebuild entails. If you want to judge by years then the first year should be year zero with what CGC had to work with.

Handsomely paid??? You’re joking, right?? Go read my thread in Coaches Salaries, and then get back to me.

Yes we are in year three but where are the recruits on the offensive and defensive lines? Your QB is a sophomore this year. I thought we needed to get to six wins this year to show we're moving in the right direction but when you just judge by saying it's his third year it doesn't resonate with what he really has to work with yet. I'm not trying to make excuses I'm just trying to show what a rebuild entails. If you want to judge by years then the first year should be year zero with what CGC had to work with.

Yeah. People don't want to hear it and people don't want excuses, but 2019 was year zero and 2020 gets half a mulligan for Covid/no spring practice.

Our remaining games:
@Virginia
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

If we go to a bowl I will be extremely shocked and unquestionably pleased. I don’t see how we get there with the team we have right now playing the way it does. We. Are. Bad.

we are soft and underprepared but we have a lot of fun doing it.

If we go to a bowl I will be extremely shocked and unquestionably pleased. I don’t see how we get there with the team we have right now playing the way it does. We. Are. Bad.

we are soft and underprepared but we have a lot of fun doing it.
I am not expecting a bowl. If we can get to 5 wins, I will consider that an improvement.

Back