All about perspective...

This coach signed a contract worth more than any GT football predecessor and he did so under the agreement that he would establish the team as a nationally relevant football brand and return the program to being nationally competitive. I don’t care what other coaches make, I am talking about what this coach signed up to do.
So, you have unreasonable expectations in year 3. I mean, just say that.

Did I say anything about not playing or forfeiting the game? No I did not. But, the chances of beating that team with this team are not good.
We've had a lot of years where the chances are not good and we have won. You just seem awfully defeatist about it. Probably is only a few teams in CFB who can beat UGAg right now, if that. Somehow, though, we have fonts on here that will use that game as a measure of our season.

So, you have unreasonable expectations in year 3. I mean, just say that.

A bowl in season 3 is not an unreasonable expectation. Perhaps you could argue it is on the high side of expectations, given the state of the team when CPJ left, but definitely not unreasonable.

Can't believe we are midway through year 3 and we aren't a national brand yet.
Like it or not, we were a national brand when Johnson was the coach. We were the team that ran the funny old-timey offense. We were a national brand under Gailey, as the school with Calvin Johnson, the cheat-code of wide receivers. We had a brand under O'Leary. Right now, we are, undoubtedly, the lowest point I can ever remember.

öööö, Collins has to win the next two games to tie Bill ööööing Lewis' record. But Lewis didn't have to face the might of teams like the Citadel or Temple or Northern Illinois University. Or last year's winless against everyone else Syracuse team. so it all makes sense.

Really? Have you been watching our team and their team?
I'll say this. UGAg's defense seems legit, but until it's proven otherwise, my opinion is the SEC is down as a whole this year and they just keep getting the benefit of the doubt because everybody thinks they are all good. Florida sucks, LSU sucks, USCe sucks, Vandy still sucks, Kentucky only looks good because they were undefeated over other "SEC" teams but they are all down too. Everybody thought Arkansas was good but they suck again. Auburn almost and probably should have lost to GA State. Missouri sucks. They only lost to Kentucky by a TD and also lost to Boston College by a TD. They got the crap beat out of them by Tennessee, same Tennessee that lost to Pitt. UGAg may very well be the best team in the SEC this year but they do not have an offense. They barely beat Clemson by a pick 6. Clemson has barely eeked by in all of their wins so far other than SC State. All these SEC teams keep getting the benefit of the doubt because "SEC." Bama and UGAg are good teams. I think the rest are all mediocre at best.

Like it or not, we were a national brand when Johnson was the coach. We were the team that ran the funny old-timey offense. We were a national brand under Gailey, as the school with Calvin Johnson, the cheat-code of wide receivers. We had a brand under O'Leary. Right now, we are, undoubtedly, the lowest point I can ever remember.

öööö, Collins has to win the next two games to tie Bill ööööing Lewis' record. But Lewis didn't have to face the might of teams like the Citadel or Temple or Northern Illinois University. Or last year's winless against everyone else Syracuse team. so it all makes sense.
This guy ain’t wrong.

A bowl in season 3 is not an unreasonable expectation. Perhaps you could argue it is on the high side of expectations, given the state of the team when CPJ left, but definitely not unreasonable.
It is unreasonable to set a bowl as the low-point for your expectations - which is what some fonts have done. I’d say given what we were willing to pay a coach, finding a great recruiter who is willing to adjust and learn in order to get better and improve the team and the results is exceeding the reasonable expectations.

Our brand was as the laughing stock of college football towards the end of CPJ’s tenure. Under Gailey, our brand was mediocre 7-win seasons every year. I’d say we haven’t had a real National brand since O’Leary. Even then, it wasn’t the greatest.

I'll say this. UGAg's defense seems legit, but until it's proven otherwise, my opinion is the SEC is down as a whole this year and they just keep getting the benefit of the doubt because everybody thinks they are all good. Florida sucks, LSU sucks, USCe sucks, Vandy still sucks, Kentucky only looks good because they were undefeated over other "SEC" teams but they are all down too. Everybody thought Arkansas was good but they suck again. Auburn almost and probably should have lost to GA State. Missouri sucks. They only lost to Kentucky by a TD and also lost to Boston College by a TD. They got the crap beat out of them by Tennessee, same Tennessee that lost to Pitt. UGAg may very well be the best team in the SEC this year but they do not have an offense. They barely beat Clemson by a pick 6. Clemson has barely eeked by in all of their wins so far other than SC State. All these SEC teams keep getting the benefit of the doubt because "SEC." Bama and UGAg are good teams. I think the rest are all mediocre at best.

I really do think UGA’s defense this year will rank one of the best but the question is whether their offense can keep up. Smart’s defensive weakness has always been the mobile QB and schemes/players that can exploit coverage breakdowns. He will eventually run into one that can do that this year I think and I don’t know if UGA’s offense is performing enough to keep up.

I'm reading a lot of good posts in this thread. Good, honest assessments - don't agree with all of them but most everybody is avoiding hyperbole in either direction.

So here's a follow up question: if we win three more and go to a bowl, would you or would you not approve of the season?

Our remaining games:
@Virginia.
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

Speaking for myself, I would call three more wins (regular season) very good progress. Get to a bowl and win for a 7th would be very, very good.

Perspective from a true outsider….
Virginia - Tech wins catches Cavaliers looking ahead to BYU trip

Virginia Tech - big home crowd, high energy GT win

Miami - L

BC - Narrow Tech win

Notre Dame - Tech plays best game of the year but falls short in final minute

UGA - Nah Bro

Back