All about perspective...

You don't think it might have been a bigger deal for a young team in a rebuild vs a senior-laden team? Dunno what to tell you.

No doubt. Some teams actually got an advantage from it because they had guys get an extra year and those guys stayed. I'm not expecting much this year, but at some point, games have to be won.

I would have said that we are one win below where we need to be. I thought the back end of the schedule was harder than the first, so we needed to be 4-2 to have a real shot at 6-6 and a bowl bid, which would indicate real improvement over the first two years of Collins and would be improvement over two of CPJ's last seasons. 5-7 is a record where I felt that you could say there had been improvement, but not enough to celebrate as a successful season.

No doubt. Some teams actually got an advantage from it because they had guys get an extra year and those guys stayed. I'm not expecting much this year, but at some point, games have to be won.

I think the 2nd half of this season and next year will tell us.

I'm reading a lot of good posts in this thread. Good, honest assessments - don't agree with all of them but most everybody is avoiding hyperbole in either direction.

So here's a follow up question: if we win three more and go to a bowl, would you or would you not approve of the season?

Our remaining games:
@Virginia
Virginia Tech
@Miami
Boston College
@Notre Dame
dwags

Speaking for myself, I would call three more wins (regular season) very good progress. Get to a bowl and win for a 7th would be very, very good.
We say this now, but in reality, if we go 3-3 the rest of the way, the most likely scenario is probably win the first 3 and lose the last 3. Ending the year on a 3 game losing streak will have the haters back to calling for the whole staff to go.

We say this now, but in reality, if we go 3-3 the rest of the way, the most likely scenario is probably win the first 3 and lose the last 3. Ending the year on a 3 game losing streak will have the haters back to calling for the whole staff to go.

If we go 3-3 the rest of the way, I sure will not be one calling for the staff to go. But this will require this team to have two wins back to back at some point. This is my limited expectation at this point. Just win two in a row.

My projection is that we drop UVa, beat VPI, beat Miami and BC and drop the last two.

Lots of ifs and butts in that projection.

If we somehow beat UVa, I think I'll have a heart attack.

My projection is that we drop UVa, beat VPI, beat Miami and BC and drop the last two.

Lots of ifs and butts in that projection.

If we somehow beat UVa, I think I'll have a heart attack.
What if we beat ugay?

If you told me before the season we would be 3-3, a few positive plays away from 5-1, and a few negative plays away from 2-4, I'd be most surprised about being that close to 5-1. Compared to the last 2 years, this is an improvement. We handled an FCS school as expected for the first time in 3 years. We controlled a game against an FBS opponent (UNC) for the first time in 3 years. We have shown that we are capable of playing like a normal CFB team at the very least. So far, I feel better about this year's team than I did last year's team at the end of the year. That's not to say we don't have a ton of areas we can improve on. One thing that has stood out is that we have only played 1 HS recruit on the OL in starting/meaningful snaps situations. As far as I can think of, the rest were CPJ's guys or transfers. I haven't been completely sold on Key's ability to coach up the OL so far, but I am curious what an OL that he recruited and built from freshmen will look like. That doesn't mean the rest of this year gets an automatic pass, but it does mean there's still an unknown there. As for the rest of the staff, my biggest unknown is on the DL, where we also have played a small amount of guys that were recruited as HS players.

For the rest of the year, I see only 1 game where we probably have no chance. Of the other 5, we should have close to even odds in 4, and probably 30% in the other. There is no reason we should have another explosive loss in ACC play, which is an improvement from last year. I think the UVA game will tell how the remaining 5 games will look, good or bad. Here's hoping we can get to 6 wins and get some extra practice time and start a bowl streak.

Yes we are in year three but where are the recruits on the offensive and defensive lines? Your QB is a sophomore this year. I thought we needed to get to six wins this year to show we're moving in the right direction but when you just judge by saying it's his third year it doesn't resonate with what he really has to work with yet. I'm not trying to make excuses I'm just trying to show what a rebuild entails. If you want to judge by years then the first year should be year zero with what CGC had to work with.

Im not really sure what in my post you are arguing against.

If you told me before the season we would be 3-3, a few positive plays away from 5-1, and a few negative plays away from 2-4, I'd be most surprised about being that close to 5-1. Compared to the last 2 years, this is an improvement. We handled an FCS school as expected for the first time in 3 years. We controlled a game against an FBS opponent (UNC) for the first time in 3 years. We have shown that we are capable of playing like a normal CFB team at the very least. So far, I feel better about this year's team than I did last year's team at the end of the year. That's not to say we have a ton of areas we can improve on. On thing that has stood out is that we have only played 1 HS recruit on the OL in starting/meaningful snaps situations. As far as I can think of, the rest were CPJ's guys or transfers. I haven't been completely sold on Key's ability to coach up the OL so far, but I am curious what an OL that he recruited and built from freshmen will look like. That doesn't mean the rest of this year gets an automatic pass, but it does mean there's still an unknown there. As for the rest of the staff, my biggest unknown is on the DL, where we also have played a small amount of guys that were recruited as HS players.

For the rest of the year, I see only 1 game where we probably have no chance. Of the other 5, we should have close to even odds in 4, and probably 30% in the other. There is no reason we should have another explosive loss in ACC play, which is an improvement from last year. I think the UVA game will tell how the remaining 5 games will look, good or bad. Here's hoping we can get to 6 wins and get some extra practice time and start a bowl streak.

I don’t think we are close to even odds in any of these games, except Miami. We are probably a TD underdog to uva, vt, and bc. Probably 14 underdog to ND. uga spread will probably be in the 21 range.

We might be favored over miami.

I am hoping for a bowl, but we are going to need at least 2 wins for that. The administration and ACC better back us if we get 5 wins. Sign the Cheyenne bowl if you have too.

Handsomely paid??? You’re joking, right?? Go read my thread in Coaches Salaries, and then get back to me.

This coach signed a contract worth more than any GT football predecessor and he did so under the agreement that he would establish the team as a nationally relevant football brand and return the program to being nationally competitive. I don’t care what other coaches make, I am talking about what this coach signed up to do.

This coach signed a contract worth more than any GT football predecessor and he did so under the agreement that he would establish the team as a nationally relevant football brand and return the program to being nationally competitive. I don’t care what other coaches make, I am talking about what this coach signed up to do.
So he's making more than Bill Curry when he as here making $45k a season?

Back