Anybody heard

Does he even have straight line speed? I don't recall him pulling a Dwyer and outrunning the field
Yes. He was a state champ in TN in hs as I recall. My problem with him, and I love the guy, is no lateral ability. Somebody mentioned him in the same sentence as Edelman and I cringed a little bit. Edelman can cut 90· without slowing down. The only way NC can cut 90 is if he runs straight and somebody rotates the stadium.

Yes. He was a state champ in TN in hs as I recall. My problem with him, and I love the guy, is no lateral ability. Somebody mentioned him in the same sentence as Edelman and I cringed a little bit. Edelman can cut 90· without slowing down. The only way NC can cut 90 is if he runs straight and somebody rotates the stadium.
Cutting should be a teachable skill.

You don't know jack öööö about his lateral ability. We had no blocking last year and a QB that struggled pitching the ball. Cottrell took the ball on the edge and pushed down field as hard as possible. No, he didn't dance around for you. He would have gotten nowhere with multiple unblocked defenders around. Best bet is to run hard for 5 yards north/south, not wiggle for you and lose 2

You don't know jack öööö about his lateral ability. We had no blocking last year and a QB that struggled pitching the ball. Cottrell took the ball on the edge and pushed down field as hard as possible. No, he didn't dance around for you. He would have gotten nowhere with multiple unblocked defenders around. Best bet is to run hard for 5 yards north/south, not wiggle for you and lose 2
Seriously? I pay attention to routes and runs and I'm sticking to my guns.

Brent Key's one season calling plays ended with the entire staff getting fired, him losing his head-coach-in-waiting status, and UCF putting up one of the worst statistical seasons in FBS this century. As bad as our 2015 season was, Tech scored as many points the first three games of the season as Key put up the entire year. Key sucked dick as a play caller.

Somebody really seems to like looking for men sucking dick.

Seriously? I pay attention to routes and runs and I'm sticking to my guns.
You didn't pay attention to Jack öööö. None of our AB's were productive last season. The mesh was bad, reads were bad, pitches were bad or nonexistent, blocking was horrid...

It appears to be some sort of counter play where we tricked the defense into attacking the QB, who drops the ball and the RB feigning blocking picks it up and takes it the other way against the flow.
A modified “Annexation of Puerto Rico” play.. I see. Good catch

You didn't pay attention to Jack öööö. None of our AB's were productive last season. The mesh was bad, reads were bad, pitches were bad or nonexistent, blocking was horrid...
My point is that NC is not the guy you want running a complex route because his ability to change direction is not in evidence. If you want to debate the point then perhaps an example would be more persuasive than whatever it was you just posted.

I've also heard that Ahmarean Brown WR that CGC brought in from Tampa this last class is really impressing folks with his abilities.

Reactions: odw
My point is that NC is not the guy you want running a complex route because his ability to change direction is not in evidence. If you want to debate the point then perhaps an example would be more persuasive than whatever it was you just posted.
My point is what plays did we run last year that would have shown you anything about his change of direction? Searcy had an awful year. Lynch had an awful year. Both are good backs. Both got tackled behind the LOS a lot last season. Pitches were bad. Plays developed slowly. Our QB struggled to deliver the ball and mostly just kept it. You could tell nothing about Cottrell based on last season. Did he run straight north-south most of the time? Yes, he did because the way our offense was sputtering, that was the best option.

Truth is, and you should admit to it, is that you have no idea how quickly he can change directions or run routes. We really had no route tree for you to see. You are basing your entire judgement of his abilities on 2-3 plays per game for the season.

My point is what plays did we run last year that would have shown you anything about his change of direction? Searcy had an awful year. Lynch had an awful year. Both are good backs. Both got tackled behind the LOS a lot last season. Pitches were bad. Plays developed slowly. Our QB struggled to deliver the ball and mostly just kept it. You could tell nothing about Cottrell based on last season. Did he run straight north-south most of the time? Yes, he did because the way our offense was sputtering, that was the best option.

Truth is, and you should admit to it, is that you have no idea how quickly he can change directions or run routes. We really had no route tree for you to see. You are basing your entire judgement of his abilities on 2-3 plays per game for the season.
Nah

Dude isn't a freshman and he's got tape from HS. All bake, no shake.

Dude isn't a freshman and he's got tape from HS. All bake, no shake.
4,000 yards rushing and 48 TD's in high school. 12 YPC in high school. 700 yards and 9 TD's receiving in high school. 937 yards and 5 TD's on kick returns. All state running back his Jr. and Sr. years.
I get it. You just don't like him. But, you have no evidence to back up anything you say.

You are an idiot

4,000 yards rushing and 48 TD's in high school. 12 YPC in high school. 700 yards and 9 TD's receiving in high school. 937 yards and 5 TD's on kick returns. All state running back his Jr. and Sr. years.
I get it. You just don't like him. But, you have no evidence to back up anything you say.

You are an idiot
There’s the @JJacket we know and live.

You are an idiot
maxresdefault_grande.jpg

He was a great HS running back. Not every skillset translates well to the next level. IIWII.

I hope he can find a new position, but a slot receiver who doesn't have great change of direction isn't going to be successful.

maxresdefault_grande.jpg

He was a great HS running back. Not every skillset translates well to the next level. IIWII.

I hope he can find a new position, but a slot receiver who doesn't have great change of direction isn't going to be successful.
I'd love for us to be sit at a table in Waffle House with Geoff Collins and listen to you explain how Cottrell doesn't have a great change of direction, because you just are making öööö up, and for Collins to look at you like you are the village idiot.

I'd love for us to be sit at a table in Waffle House with Geoff Collins and listen to you explain how Cottrell doesn't have a great change of direction, because you just are making öööö up, and for Collins to look at you like you are the village idiot.

Show me the college highlights of him ever making a tackler miss in space.

I'll wait

Hard to judge NC. I though he tried to outrun defenders to the edge too often which resulted in no cutting or changing directions.

I don't think I can say that he is bad at it until I see him try. For all I know CPJ told him to use his speed to get the yards. I do remember NC basically running into DB's and CPJ making fun of him for it on a radio show.

This coaching staff is saying the things that I like to hear and doing the things I like to see. I will expect them to use his skills / experience to maximize performance.

Back