Apologies from Georgia Southern

You should stay out of the bad neighborhoods when you come to the 'boro. All you have to do is sit in Paulson on Saturday and listen to the scores announced. If thUGA is trailing, we cheer wildly. If they are winning, everyone boos. I know THIS to be a fact.

Tech scores usually get cheers (if they're winning). Georgia scores draw a lot of boos (if they're winning).

But the intersection of Georgia fans and Georgia Southern fans is, unfortunately, very large - even if Georgia did everything it could to prevent Georgia Southern College from becoming Georgia Southern University and also lied about offering Erk the job in 1988. (Aside-it's been eight years to the day since he died. FWIW, I knew Erk and I knew him very well. He was a öööö good man).

Yes, you hear the talk of chasing the "G" out of Statesboro, which is just foolish. They are the biggest school in the state. They are going to have fans everywhere, even among the student bodies of other state schools. Not saying it's right; just saying it is and perhaps acceptance followed by derision and scorn is a better tactic.

I have also heard that Georgia Southern practices continue to remain open, as they always have for more than 30 years.

Except for this week.

Wanna know how I know you're gay?

you know what john and Kate is

Ha. Well I have passed through it while flipping channels but I've never watched it. I guess I don't post .gifs of it like the really gay ones.

We beat Wofford when it counted. It didn't count last year. We were in transition so we weren't playoff eligible. Why don't you ask Wofford what happened when we played them in a playoff game? We turned that place into Paulson north just as we will your place Saturday.

oldfart, how many folks went into last year crowing about playing for "Eagle pride" and going 8-0 in the SoCon and wearing those ridiculous "So Long" T-shirts - and are now saying "we weren't playing for anything last year?" That was a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who were saying it after the 30-22 thumping from Wofford last year.

You can't lose to Furman at home in the final trip there for the Purple Satans. You can't lose to the worst App team since the earth cooled. And yet ... both these things happened last year. It seemed it sure as hell meant something to App to beat Southern in a year that didn't count for either program.

At least App still sucks balls this year.

And what about this year? No playoffs. No bowl game. What is there to play for this time around?

Fact: 1 in 4 Southern students have visited the on-campus medical center to address an STD

Fact: Statesboro is a cesspool of redneck sisterööööers that couldn't meet the UGA admission requirements

Fact: GT feels sorry that your school is continually confused with an urban commuter school with a ööööö cat mascot that is polluted with homeless vagrants

Good luck on Saturday. Carry on.

I've lived in Statesboro, a couple of times - by choice. It's not that bad a place. It's a quiet little burg and the people are, for the most part, really öööö nice and some are pretty smart.

And who's to say those STD patients didn't pick up something when getting some strange back home?

oldfart, how many folks went into last year crowing about playing for "Eagle pride" and going 8-0 in the SoCon and wearing those ridiculous "So Long" T-shirts - and are now saying "we weren't playing for anything last year?" That was a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who were saying it after the 30-22 thumping from Wofford last year.

You can't lose to Furman at home in the final trip there for the Purple Satans. You can't lose to the worst App team since the earth cooled. And yet ... both these things happened last year. It seemed it sure as hell meant something to App to beat Southern in a year that didn't count for either program.

And what about this year? No playoffs. No bowl game. What is there to play for this time around?

Why are you talking about last year, bro? Different coach. Different year.

Did you know Southern beat Florida last year? They clearly outclass other FBS schools as a result.

Hey oldfart, you forgot to mention Rude Rudys in your list of fine eating establishments.

And phd, the campus is quite nice, they have put the Metro Atlanta tuition money to good use building new facilities. Heck, the dining hall has a retina scanner for access. :rotfl:

But to put it on topic, the football atmosphere is very high schoolish. If you like that sort of thing then you would like it. My daughter, not so much.

[y]h0CvNFlgago[/y]

A new coach with a different approach that (so far) isn't planning on leaving. Monken was a good coach but he knew he was headed to greener pastures. There also was a lot of emphasis on being physical last year that helped create a lot of the numerous injuries we had. We were badly beat up most of the year from the rigorous practices which is a large part of the unexplainable losses. Another factor may have been the tinkering with the offense we spent most of the spring on. We didn't get enough reps of our normal offense to develop the players we needed to develop. Under the surface there were rumors that Monken had "lost" some of the players and truthfully, the debacle at Wofford was the worst coached game I have ever seen GS play. so there may be some truth to it. I can't really explain but the attitude the team displays is refreshing positive. Monken took a bit of a "no nonsense" approach like PJ but Fritz is more upbeat, yet still tough. You can see it in practices and in the execution during the game as the mistakes we saw against NC State weren't there this past week. Our execution was sloppy last year but seems much better this year. The way we beat UF was pretty much us going back to our basics and our guys let it all hang out since it was our last game. I just felt like we played way too tight last year trying NOT to lose instead of win.

A new coach with a different approach that (so far) isn't planning on leaving. Monken was a good coach but he knew he was headed to greener pastures. There also was a lot of emphasis on being physical last year that helped create a lot of the numerous injuries we had. We were badly beat up most of the year from the rigorous practices which is a large part of the unexplainable losses. Another factor may have been the tinkering with the offense we spent most of the spring on. We didn't get enough reps of our normal offense to develop the players we needed to develop. Under the surface there were rumors that Monken had "lost" some of the players and truthfully, the debacle at Wofford was the worst coached game I have ever seen GS play. so there may be some truth to it. I can't really explain but the attitude the team displays is refreshing positive. Monken took a bit of a "no nonsense" approach like PJ but Fritz is more upbeat, yet still tough. You can see it in practices and in the execution during the game as the mistakes we saw against NC State weren't there this past week. Our execution was sloppy last year but seems much better this year. The way we beat UF was pretty much us going back to our basics and our guys let it all hang out since it was our last game. I just felt like we played way too tight last year trying NOT to lose instead of win.

Posts_disavowing_last_year_while_also_bringing_up_Florida++;

I've lived in Statesboro, a couple of times - by choice. It's not that bad a place. It's a quiet little burg and the people are, for the most part, really öööö nice and some are pretty smart.

And who's to say those STD patients didn't pick up something when getting some strange back home?

In all fairness, there has not been an Oprah special entitled The Lost Children of Statesboro.

They have a heckuva QB and some good receivers but no defense at all. Their QB is NFL quality. We simply had to outscore them in '11 and '12.

He went to my kids' high school. Which had more seats than Paulson before the expansion.

LOL at fonts here acting like Woffie and Tewlane games were blowouts and never in question.

Why does Valley Boy address himself in the third peson? Is he a former NFL wideout?

I have also heard that Georgia Southern practices continue to remain open, as they always have for more than 30 years.

Except for this week.

What did they do, put a giant curtain up on the corner of Tillman and Fair?

Back