Arik Gilbert in Transfer Portal

I have a crazy idea.

We need a TE. Whenever the NFL needs a tight end, they find some mediocre college basketball player and teach him to catch a football. We have a öööö load of mediocre basketball players. Can we teach one of them to catch? Like, how about Meka?

That's fine. I doubt he can be any worse than what we've had. Plus, we get him focused on school and making the 40 year decision with his life.
A 40-year decision for this ööööing yoyo? That's laughable. Try 40 seconds :dunno: .

You don't have any idea what kind of young man he is nor what has gone on in his life to cause him to get into the situation he is in.
Much too harshly stated, but I do have serious qualms about him being cut out for Tech.

He played really well his first year at LSU- he has the talent to be a top level TE the likes of which we have never seen at GT. I just don’t know what in the hell is wrong with him and i really doubt if downtown ATL is a good place for him to battle his inner demons and get himself under control. That being said I would give him a shot if he’s interested, have a Grad Assistant assigned to him 247 to keep him out of trouble and in class.

He played really well his first year at LSU- he has the talent to be a top level TE the likes of which we have never seen at GT. I just don’t know what in the hell is wrong with him and i really doubt if downtown ATL is a good place for him to battle his inner demons and get himself under control. That being said I would give him a shot if he’s interested, have a Grad Assistant assigned to him 247 to keep him out of trouble and in class.
I don't have a clue if he would be interested in GT or even if he is really still even interested in football, but almost anyone can be turned around. If it was family problems, I hope he has it sorted out. If he wants to get serious, come to GT, sit out if you have to, work hard in the classroom, and be ready for 2024

Is anyone doing non-guaranteed incentive laden NIL deals? Im sure it happening just haven't heard. Someone with deep pockets could piece a deal together for Gilbert. Need something like $X if he meets and exceeds...
1. Academic eligibility throughout season
2. 8 games played in
3. 500 yards

What exactly is the problem with the young man? I got a feeling that it doesn’t have anything to do with money.

Is anyone doing non-guaranteed incentive laden NIL deals? Im sure it happening just haven't heard. Someone with deep pockets could piece a deal together for Gilbert. Need something like $X if he meets and exceeds...
1. Academic eligibility throughout season
2. 8 games played in
3. 500 yards
I was under the impression you were “not allowed” to tie NIL $ to performance

I was under the impression you were “not allowed” to tie NIL $ to performance

I think you're right, so that would rule out the "3. 500 yards" requirement.

That being said, you could make the argument that if the person isn't playing, then they're not representing your brand well enough to earn the money you offered. So if academic eligibility is not earned, and you're not a part of the team or if you're not playing in games, you're not the type of person they want representing the brand. Same reason that NFL endorsement deals can be canceled when off-field performance is questionable...and why Tiger Woods lost so many of his sponsorships.

Not saying that can happen - but just saying there are things that a brand can require of its spokespeople, that are outside the purveyance of the NCAA. Whether it'll stand up in court, of course, is another matter. Lots of gray area still to be sorted through.

i really doubt if downtown ATL is a good place for him to battle his inner demons and get himself under control.
Why? The places he has had issues were Baton Rouge, Gainesville and Athens. How does that translate to Atlanta being a threat when his family lives here.

I have a crazy idea.

We need a TE. Whenever the NFL needs a tight end, they find some mediocre college basketball player and teach him to catch a football. We have a öööö load of mediocre basketball players. Can we teach one of them to catch? Like, how about Meka?
A novel idea, but too weak and don’t like contact. Remember, our guys can’t even fight for position for a rebound and they seem to have clubs for hands.

Why? The places he has had issues were Baton Rouge, Gainesville and Athens. How does that translate to Atlanta being a threat when his family lives here.

You really want a kid who can’t get his öööö together in isolated, favorable college towns to move to the big city? Do we really have to spell it out for you?

APD doesn’t give a öööö if you play for Tech and is not going to look the other way. Tech profs don’t give a öööö if you play football and aren’t going to look the other way. Landlords don’t give a öööö if you are poor and are going to charge midtown rates. Junkies (and dealers) from Centennial Place or Bankhead don’t give a öööö if you are a student and will steal from you.

His best chance is probably an low end sec or big ten school that has a hospital attached so he can get some counseling while he sits out a year, but won’t have a problem winning the starting job after that. LSU and UGA have so much talent right now that it’s easier to cut problems loose.

You really want a kid who can’t get his öööö together in isolated, favorable college towns to move to the big city? Do we really have to spell it out for you?

APD doesn’t give a öööö if you play for Tech and is not going to look the other way. Tech profs don’t give a öööö if you play football and aren’t going to look the other way. Landlords don’t give a öööö if you are poor and are going to charge midtown rates. Junkies (and dealers) from Centennial Place or Bankhead don’t give a öööö if you are a student and will steal from you.

His best chance is probably an low end sec or big ten school that has a hospital attached so he can get some counseling while he sits out a year, but won’t have a problem winning the starting job after that. LSU and UGA have so much talent right now that it’s easier to cut problems loose.
Did he öööö your mom or something? You seem awfully angry and seem to know a whole hell of a lot about him.

Probably one of those guys that was always bigger and faster than everyone else he ever played against until he got to college. Never had to work hard because he didn’t have to, and didn’t know how or want to work in college to get better. Competition was never king for this guy, so he disappeared among his peers at the position.
Likely this. I also find it interesting that his QB while in HS, 5-star Harrison Bailey went to UT and didn't pan out either, I believe Bailey is at UNLV now. I don't know anything about Marietta HS but wonder if they are in a weak division or something about their coaching/scheme makes players appear better than they are.

Spot on.

Did he öööö your mom or something? You seem awfully angry and seem to know a whole hell of a lot about him.

I know nothing about him except that he was booted from 3 different SEC schools. If that’s not a big flashing red sign then I don’t know what is.

Back