BOWLS

thank you, Dave Clawson. It's 1-0 head to head
and the ACC is 2-0 overall.
Poor SEC. 0-2.

If only it meant something to them .....

They're just meaningless exhibition games now. That is all. When I was a young lad, there were about a dozen bowls and a team pretty much had to be ranked to get one. It was two pretty good-to-good teams playing and it was a chance to move up in the final poll - bragging rights were at stake. Now there are teams with losing records playing in bowl games and many are almost devoid of meaning, except it means about 15 more days of practice for the team. That's significant.

Back then you had the following bowls:
Rose - Pasadena, CA
Orange - Miami, FL
Sugar - New Orleans, LA
Cotton - Dallas, TX
Fiesta - Tempe, AZ
Gator - Jacksonville, FL
Liberty - Memphis, TN
Tangerine - Orlando, FL
Peach - Atlanta, GA
Bluebonnet - Houston, TX
Holiday - San Diego, CA
What’s wrong with having a bunch of bowls? It’s usually good for the community hosting the bowl, the matchups are teams from different conferences, and the players are treated well and the fans get to enjoy the trip and the game. What’s wrong with that? That’s the way bowl games have been for years. Only one or two bowls games had national championship implications, the rest of them were interesting matchups and fun for the players and fans. I love bowl season … even better when Tech is involved.

What’s wrong with having a bunch of bowls? It’s usually good for the community hosting the bowl, the matchups are teams from different conferences, and the players are treated well and the fans get to enjoy the trip and the game. What’s wrong with that? That’s the way bowl games have been for years. Only one or two bowls games had national championship implications, the rest of them were interesting matchups and fun for the players and fans. I love bowl season … even better when Tech is involved.
I didn't say anything was wrong with it, just that they don't have a lot of meaning except for the team itself. I would also say that before the old Bowl Coalition/Alliance and BCS back in the 90's, that bowls helped teams get ranked higher if they won. That still happens, but nobody cares in this day of CFP and the top 4 - who are often the same teams over and over and over. This is the 9th year of the CFP and Bama has been in 7 of them, Clemson in 6, OSU in 5, and OU in 4. Yawn. Meanwhile the rest of the bowls have slipped off the front page.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it, just that they don't have a lot of meaning except for the team itself. I would also say that before the old Bowl Coalition/Alliance and BCS back in the 90's, that bowls helped teams get ranked higher if they won. That still happens, but nobody cares in this day of CFP and the top 4 - who are often the same teams over and over and over. This is the 9th year of the CFP and Bama has been in 7 of them, Clemson in 6, OSU in 5, and OU in 4. Yawn. Meanwhile the rest of the bowls have slipped off the front page.
Wait till 12 teams are in the cfp

More Bowls mean more choices of what I want to watch. Now, I find myself looking at the bowl schedule for teams or matchups that I consider interesting: coaches, style of offense/defense, specific players or teams that I despise :mad: and hope to see them lose.

And too, the bowl games are a reward for many - perhaps too many - teams that gives there seniors one last game, and more practice for the rest of the team for the next year.

Just my 2 cent opinion!

Don’t understand the scheduling. There was only one bowl yesterday but there are 4 bowls today, starting with Ga Sou at noon.

Don’t understand the scheduling. There was only one bowl yesterday but there are 4 bowls today, starting with Ga Sou at noon.

People were playing with their Christmas presents yesterday and traveling to visit family or back home. Today they are tired of Mario Kart and are looking for something to do.

Georgia Southern's receivers have batted down more balls than they have caught I think.

Georgia Southern's receivers have batted down more balls than they have caught I think.

Then Buffalo throws all the way down the field and runs for nothing at goal line every time. Getting ready to lose here trying to run

True that. But the christmas holiday is meant to be a catholic holiday about the birth of christ. I forget what pagan holiday they ripped off.
I watched midnight Mass.
Does that count?
Watching Southern lose to Buffalo was my penance, I suppose.

Not terribly interested in the Memphis-Utah State bowl game, but I'll watch Coastal vs. East and the late bowl game tonight ... isn't that Wisconsin and somebody?

The Jamey Chadwell "Defense" is on full display at the Birmingham Bowl. ECU Pirates already up 10-0 in the 1st qtr. I'm glad we passed on him - seems like most offenses pass pretty easily on 'em lol

I think the announcers on this game are on barbiturates. If anybody was excited about this game they would fall asleep listening to the call.

Back