Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

Those aren’t recruits. They are Portal Transfers from 2023 going with him from JSU. So the #95 2024 recruiting class again shows the lack of recruiting.
Show us your work. Where's the massive influx of revenue vs the ramping up of costs associated to Deion? You don't get to just keep repeating - look how much money he made CU!!!!11!!!!11!!1!!!!!1!!!!!!
They ARE recruits All transfers are recruits. They're just not HIGH SCHOOL recruits.

Like I said, all more of the same empty arguments. Your perspectives are wrong. I'm not arguing the morality or the ethics of Deion being at CU, but college football doesn't give a damn about that stuff anymore. Nor does it care about appearances. If I was running things none of this bullshit would be allowed.

It's the same reason why an unranked B10 Saturday afternoon week 2 game can garner 6.3 million views when a week 0 only game on TV gets 5 million. It's also the same reason why there will be 5 million televisions on a CU CSU rivalry next week that nobody outside Denver even thinks about this week.

For the sake of argument, so you guys don't put up the imaginary bias wall in your brains, lets just call Prime clown 2.0. He is the Collins of Colorado. The difference is that he has generated so much revenue already for the school, the community, the NILs, that if he walks out at the end of the season. CU can walk out and hire Urban Meyer, or Saban, or insert great coach here without debate.

Compare that with our decision making. CGC leaves, we have to give him this huge payout for sucking and then we can't really get what we want but get what we can afford and subsequently have to build this idea that it's a great hire because we can't say it's not or we're not going to get any recruits.

That is the Prime effect. Of course the aftermath has to be managed properly but it's a cheat code. And everybody knew that at least the infusion part would happen. The only question is how long does it last, but it's already been long enough to benefit.

Unfortunately it's time to let go of your old single dimension mindset fellas.
I spotted you 3 touchdowns on a game in Boulder a year from now and your username is gambler and you passed.

I'm done talking.

Like I said, all more of the same empty arguments. Your perspectives are wrong. I'm not arguing the morality or the ethics of Deion being at CU, but college football doesn't give a damn about that stuff anymore. Nor does it care about appearances. If I was running things none of this bullshit would be allowed.

It's the same reason why an unranked B10 Saturday afternoon week 2 game can garner 6.3 million views when a week 0 only game on TV gets 5 million. It's also the same reason why there will be 5 million televisions on a CU CSU rivalry next week that nobody outside Denver even thinks about this week.

For the sake of argument, so you guys don't put up the imaginary bias wall in your brains, lets just call Prime clown 2.0. He is the Collins of Colorado. The difference is that he has generated so much revenue already for the school, the community, the NILs, that if he walks out at the end of the season. CU can walk out and hire Urban Meyer, or Saban, or insert great coach here without debate.

Compare that with our decision making. CGC leaves, we have to give him this huge payout for sucking and then we can't really get what we want but get what we can afford and subsequently have to build this idea that it's a great hire because we can't say it's not or we're not going to get any recruits.

That is the Prime effect. Of course the aftermath has to be managed properly but it's a cheat code. And everybody knew that at least the infusion part would happen. The only question is how long does it last, but it's already been long enough to benefit.

Unfortunately it's time to let go of your old single dimension mindset fellas.
No way they are able to hire a great coach when Prime. It will be a horrendous job given fan support and NIL funds will like dry up and his roster is built of transient players with loyalty to the coach, not the school. They’ll immediately flip back to being 1-3 win program — probably after this season.

No way they are able to hire a great coach when Prime. It will be a horrendous job given fan support and NIL funds will like dry up and his roster is built of transient players with loyalty to the coach, not the school. They’ll immediately flip back to being 1-3 win program — probably after this season.
No roster for the next coach. Prime hasn't been recruiting enough from high schools and their class balance is way out of whack.

Show us your work. Where's the massive influx of revenue vs the ramping up of costs associated to Deion? You don't get to just keep repeating - look how much money he made CU!!!!11!!!!11!!1!!!!!1!!!!!!

My legwork has been done in earlier posts in this thread. You don't get to just keep repeating look how much he didn't make CU!!!!!!! /Logic

I'm gonna ask one more question that I bet will get dodged all by all these obviously biased takes. How many wins does CU have to secure this year for you to consider Deion's hire a success? Give me a number.

I can almost guarantee if he puts up 5 it won't be enough "improvement". I bet 8 wouldn't be enough and 10 most certainly would be found lacking by these haters.

Post your number, we'll see how the season plays out.

I'm gonna ask one more question that I bet will get dodged all by all these obviously biased takes. How many wins does CU have to secure this year for you to consider Deion's hire a success? Give me a number.

I can almost guarantee if he puts up 5 it won't be enough "improvement". I bet 8 wouldn't be enough and 10 most certainly would be found lacking by these haters.

The hire overall isn't made or broken by this season.

But for this specific season to be a success, I'd say 6 wins. That doesn't mean I would want him though.

Also, "genius, next-level out of the box öööö" is certainly one way to describe attempting (and failing) to fund your public university football program with blood money from the country that funded the biggest terrorist attack in American history.

I know that is the reality not just for CFB but for pretty much everything; money trumps all. But god damn, I have a hard time praising it, or feeling jealous that we're not doing it.

Nobody is praising it. But I also bet that you haven't switched to homemade bio-diesel yet and you're sending blood money back to the Middle East every time you squeeze that pump handle.

We can all end up hypocritical even if we choose to be ignorant of these realities.

They ARE recruits All transfers are recruits. They're just not HIGH SCHOOL recruits.
How are those results panning out where it counts on the field? Oh yeah. 5-9 with zero wins over teams with a .500 or above record. And the 2023 offense at least flashed some semblance of being good against most teams. This offense has regressed. Gee I wonder why?

You’re right though. That team barely has any HS recruits. Hence the #95 2024 class. Again who’s fault is that?

5 would be improvement over 4 from last year.... but I think it's a long shot.

1) 8 would be amazing for CU this year doubt that will happen..

2) deion sticking around 3 more years would be a win but also doubt that will happen

3) He made them some cash so best case they have some money now to hire a great coach which would also be a win for them

4) Worst case nobody wants to touch that dumpster fire and the funds dry up quick..

My money is on 3) and he turns out to be a pretty good hire for them

What’s the difference? They are a 4 win program now. Lol

7. That ensures a winning season. And looking at the schedule, will be hard pressed to get to 6-6 with a chance at 7-6. Here are the ones on paper CU can win.

CSU, Baylor, Cincy, @ Texas Tech.

Looks about it. All other games they will be an underdog.

Sanders happens to be ruining a program that I don't like very much, and the act of hiring him compounded that. There's no win total or amount of money he can generate which will make those kinds of successes more important than his failures of the players who were at Colorado before him, the ones there now who aren't part of his family or clique, the Colorado football program, and college football.

Coach Prime represents a concentration of the various poisons which have been creeping their way into the sport for decades, and every one of his actions and words indicates that he is proud of his role, what he's doing, and his own apathy toward the harm it inflicts. The destruction of the sport as any of us here came to love it is absolutely inevitable and the future will bring worse than a selfish diva at a single school nobody cares about. That doesn't mean we have to embrace the inbound horror so we can, what, hope we get the next big cash circus here at Tech so that our grandchildren might one day see the program rebuild?

öööö that guy, öööö what he represents, öööö Colorado for hiring him, and öööö the trail they're blazing for a parade of clowns and conmen and ministers.

The people filling the stands aren’t CU fans. They are Sanders fans. When he leaves they will leave.

No, they are potential CU fans that actually have a reason to go to games for the first time in about 30 years. That is rapidly waining as this is clearly a ööööshow, but they are CU fans.

Once Deion leaves, the portal will be brutal. But there is no denying he brought interest to a dead program.

@ee8384 @gambler
For those claiming Deon has filled the Colorado athletic coffers, here are the financial reports from FY2022 and FY2023.
FY2022
FY2023

A summary for each sport is found near the end of the reports around page 77.

Football ticket sales are down from FY22 to FY23 about $3.6M.
Total revenue from football is down from FY22 to FY23 about $1M.
Total expenses from football is up from FY22 to FY23 about $9.5M. But hey, bowl expenses were $0 so they got that going for them.

There are a lot of ways to try and measure the financial impact of "Coach" Prime to Colorado and it will be a bit fluid as his tenure plays out, but wins and losses matter. Always have and always will. Those financial numbers are clearly not good and clearly going in the wrong direction.

@ee8384 @gambler
For those claiming Deon has filled the Colorado athletic coffers, here are the financial reports from FY2022 and FY2023.
FY2022
FY2023

A summary for each sport is found near the end of the reports around page 77.

Football ticket sales are down from FY22 to FY23 about $3.6M.
Total revenue from football is down from FY22 to FY23 about $1M.
Total expenses from football is up from FY22 to FY23 about $9.5M. But hey, bowl expenses were $0 so they got that going for them.

There are a lot of ways to try and measure the financial impact of "Coach" Prime to Colorado and it will be a bit fluid as his tenure plays out, but wins and losses matter. Always have and always will. Those financial numbers are clearly not good and clearly going in the wrong direction.

I'll save you some time.

What exactly is "earned media money"? Don't guess - how does Apex Marketing Group calculate this?

Here is the 2022 Revenue/Expense report CU filed with the NCAA. So let's set a baseline of facts that we can compare against when the 2023 report is filed. Projections by external marketing firms and percentage gains ($1 to $12 is 1200%) are meaningless against the actual reporting.

Total football revenue was $49.1M, expenses were $25.5M.

Let's look at the revenue and expense streams that Deion can actually impact in his first year (i.e. - conference payments, TV rights fees, etc. are what they are and Deion couldn't have impacted in year one).

Revenue:
Ticket sales $16.6M
Contributions $5.9M
Program, Novelty, Parking, Concessions $1.5M
Sports Camps $0.1M
Endowments $0.6M

"Deion impactable revenue" = $23.7M (we can already see that claiming Deion brought in $30M extra would be doubling this number)

Expenses:
Athletic Aid $4.9M
Head Coach Salary $4.1M
Asst Coaches Salaries $4.3M
Support Staff $2.1M
Recruiting $0.8M
Equipment $0.9M
Game Expenses $2.7M

"Deion impactable expenses" = $19.8M

Sponsorships are included in Royalty, Licensing, Advertisements & Sponsorships and as the link to the article you posted noted, these are rolled up at the school level, not by sport. The total of this revenue item in 2022 was $5.9M and Sponsorships are not broken out separately. We'll see how much this overall item increased in the next report. Even if the entire amount $5.9M is Sponsorships, a 42% increase would be ~$2.5M incremental dollars.

Feel free to go through the report and show what you would consider baseline. Bookmark this for when the 2023 report is filed so we can compare.

@gambler

Provide your source for this "fact" you put in an earlier post: "CU's ticket sales this year alone surpassed 30 million".

Attendance by year per Wikipedia:

2016 MacIntyre 279,652 46,609
2017 MacIntyre 282,335 47,056
2018 MacIntyre 274,852 45,809
2019 Tucker 297,435 49,573
2020 Dorrell — —
2021 Dorrell 278,906 46,484
2022 Dorrell 257,084 42,847
2023 Sanders 319,081 53,180

So 60K extra attendees vs. last year (24% increase). 2022 ticket revenue was $16.6M (average of $64.59 per attendee) so +24% would be $20.6M (+$4M). To reach $30M CU would have had to seen the average attendee ticket price increase to $94.04. Yet CU only raised prices 5% from 2022-2023.

You also have to factor in that given the 2022 performance on the field, the average attendance probably represents a lot of season ticket holders that didn't show up at the game. 46K is the representative average attendance so more likely the attendee increase is closer to 40K.

I'll predict that in the 2023 NCAA report football ticket revenue will come in around $20M.

CU financial reports are online and debunk the claims made in media.

You can drill down all you want but here's the simple top line:
Football Revenue Expenses Profit
2021 $17.2M $17.5M ($0.3M)
2022 $49.1M $25.5M $23.6M
2023 $50.1M $35.0M $15.1M

Football ticket sales were down from $16.6M in 2022 to $13.0M in 2023
Expenses up due to $7M severance paid to the coaches fired to hire Deion

The $90M advertising number was an estimate by a third party firm of the value of extra mentions CU got on ESPN, etc. due to Deion. No actual revenue was received by CU for this. Royalties, Licensing, Advertising & Sponsorship revenue at the CU level (they do not break out by sport) has been $7.5M, $5.9M, $6.7M in 2021, 2022, 2023.

The Deion revenue bump is roughly $17M in ticket sales/concessions/parking and $6M in contributions from 2021 levels, partially offset by a $5M increase in coaching salaries. The bulk of the rest of the revenue increases came from conference TV rights and bowl game payouts.

Time will tell whether CU can hold on to the revenue gains post-Deion. If Deion leaves with a big severance package, that will burden the program going forward.

Back