Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

Why do you keep beating this drum about CU having more money because of Deion? Nobody gives AF about that- Wins, bowl games, positive media for the school are what matters. People are tuning in to watch him fail because they hate him and now hate CU too. His sh!tty coaching, nepotism, racism and narcissism are driving their sh!t program into a bottomless pit and we are all here for it.

A better question is why haven't you figured out that money leads to all the things you say matters yet? You must think that dirt poor football program in Athens is winning because they're smarter than us.

A better question is why haven't you figured out that money leads to all the things you say matters yet? You must think that dirt poor football program in Athens is winning because they're smarter than us.
No it doesn’t when the coach is terrible, look at Tenn, Auburn, Florida, Texas- all have plenty of money and have been terrible for periods of time in the recent past, mainly because of horrible coach hiring decisions. For them the money never ends, for CU it's not sustainable.

No it doesn’t when the coach is terrible, look at Tenn, Auburn, Florida, Texas- all have plenty of money and have been terrible for periods of time in the recent past, mainly because of horrible coach hiring decisions. For them the money never ends, for CU it's not sustainable.

Name the last school to win a national title that wasn't in the top 25 in spending. $ buys coaches and now recruits. The coaching matters but you aren't winning anything without the $ first.

CU didn't hire Deion to win a title. They hired him to catch the program up to the rest of the country and build from there. If he wins, that's icing on their cake. They knew exactly what they were doing. The formula isn't near as complex as it was 30 years ago.

Name the last school to win a national title that wasn't in the top 25 in spending. $ buys coaches and now recruits. The coaching matters but you aren't winning anything without the $ first.

CU didn't hire Deion to win a title. They hired him to catch the program up to the rest of the country and build from there. If he wins, that's icing on their cake. They knew exactly what they were doing. The formula isn't near as complex as it was 30 years ago.
You just made that bullshit up. They did not hire him to just catch the program up.

Why is CU’s recruiting so sh!tty? Why doesn’t Deion have top-notch assistants?

Nobody hires a coach just to bring in more money for future program building- it’s winning asap.

Let's review some CU football history. Since CU was gifted half of a national championship in 1990 with GT, I decided to start with 1991.

It looks like things really took a nose dive for CU after Gary Barnett left after the 2005 season.

From 1991-2005:
CU wins: 119
GT wins: 100

Seems like CU was way ahead of Tech during that period. 19% more wins.

Why did Barnett leave? Oh, he got fired and CU got put on two years probation for his actions. That can really knock your program off the rails.

From 2006-2022:
CU wins: 69
GT wins: 113

Boy, did CU suck. 40% less wins than Tech.

Still using GT as a reference, an above average ACC team over the period with a few great years:

From 1991-2022:
CU wins: 188
GT wins: 213

So, to catch up to an above average ACC team CU needs a roughly 15% boost over their long term average wins and 60% wins over their recent trend. There's your target: win 60% more per year over the next 17 years vs. 2006-2002, or about 113 wins. Much easier with an extra game per year, right? Just average about 7 wins per year to get to GT's level (assuming GT doesn't gain under Key or future coaches).

CU is 3 wins in the hole after year 1.

So, last time CU brought in a highly-sought, well-known coach (Barnett) who had turned down offers from better schools, he turned out to be a sleaze-ball scumbag who cratered the program. At least he was a winner. Of course, after CU he never coached again. This is a pretty low bar for Deion.

"After the success of Northwestern's football teams, Barnett became a sought-after commodity. In a 2017 article by the Chicago Tribune, it was noted that Barnett turned down head coaching jobs with Georgia and UCLA following the 1995 season.[2][3][4][5] He also interviewed for the Notre Dame head coaching job following the retirement of Lou Holtz in 1996, however Barnett himself withdrew from consideration.[6][5] In 1997, Barnett and Northwestern agreed to a 12-year contract worth $500,000 per year.[7] Barnett also received consideration for the Texas head coaching job following the 1997 season.[8]"

"During the 2004 season, his reputation took a hit due to a recruiting scandal, insensitive off-field remarks, and failure to maintain the on-field success of his predecessors. Barnett was alleged to have enticed recruits to come to Colorado with sex and alcohol during recruiting visits, causing the school to self-impose stricter recruiting rules over all other Division I-A schools. However, it was later determined that Coach Barnett had no knowledge of the extracurricular activities, including the allegations that he was "enticing" recruits with sex and alcohol. These events were isolated, and later attributed to several players, that were not mentioned in the allegation. That scandal, coupled with Barnett's dismissive comments about former placekicker Katie Hnida, who alleged that she had been raped by a teammate, led to a infractions from the University. The comments that Coach Barnett made to a local sports reporter during an informal interview regarding Hnida, were in response to a question in which the reporter asked why Katie Hnida was cut from the team, to which Coach Barnett replied that she was a, "Horrible Kicker". Ultimately, the allegations and comments about Katie Hnida's kicking abilities led to Barnett's temporary suspension in 2004, during the off-season. "

"Barnett continued as coach in 2005, leading the Buffaloes to a 7–2 start. However, the Buffs lost to Iowa State, then suffered a 30–3 thrashing at the hands of Nebraska and a 70–3 blowout by the eventual national champion Texas Longhorns in the Big 12 championship game. Additionally, an anonymous tipster wrote a letter to CU system president Hank Brown accusing Barnett of numerous improprieties, including tampering with sworn testimony.[9]

On December 9, 2005, Barnett was forced to resign and accepted a $3 million buyout. Colorado then went on to play in the Champs Sports Bowl, losing to Clemson. The loss is officially credited to Barnett, even though assistant Mike Hankwitz served as interim head coach for the game.

In June 2007, the Buffaloes were placed under probation for two years and fined US$100,000 for undercharging 133 student-athletes for meals over a six-year span (2000–01 to 2005–06 encompassing Barnett's tenure at Colorado) resulting in the major infraction.[10] The football program, with 86 of the 133 student-athletes involved, also lost one scholarship for the next three seasons.[10]"

Maybe the CU problem isn't on the field. How many football administrators were fired during this period?

Braaaaaah, YOU need to reread what was said. The win over TCU happened in week one of the season last year right after they completed a 13-2 season losing in the playoffs to ugay. It was in the following few weeks I referenced that win....not 12 weeks, or in your case 54 weeks later.

Sure the win doesn't look that great after TCU finishes the season 5-7 but at the time it was a great win. You are using McFly's almanac to go back in the delorean and argue who is gonna win the 1950 world series.

I commend you for keeping that whiskey clear during the week because nothing else explains the incomprehension.
Beating a preseason #17 TCU team who has no longevity of success you continually call a “great win” despite the fact they were mediocre at best. Letting the season play out determining a real Top 25 is such an odd concept and all. But keep on keeping on about the “great” win over TCU.

You clearly don’t pay attention to closely to much of what I’ve said (other than leaving out the real details of what I said about FSU, Bama and the CFP last year) about the win against #10 FSU. I don’t give 2 effs about fake polls. AP, Coaches are in fake Polls. The only Poll that matters is when the 1st CFP Top 25 did released until Selection Sunday.

You can keep falling on the sword thinking Prime is going to do anything with Colorado long-term. I’ll be here waiting for you to admit how wrong you are when he is no longer the HC next Spring when his sons + Hunter are off to the NFL and he moves on to another role. Simple career move for him is to become an agent.

Gee it doesn’t have anything to do with being the state school in one of the most talent rich states in the country or anything right? Recruiting hasn’t been a problem well before the explosion of facilities, and now NIL. Had nothing to do with $$$ at that time.

The state of Georgia and especially North Georgia population growth from the mid 90’s til now makes it quite easy for uga to focus recruiting in-state first, cherry pick nationally 2nd.

Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Clemson, South Carolina, etc don’t have the population in-state to do the same, so where do they focus otherwise? Georgia, Florida.

We'll just have to wait to see how this plays out. But like I said even if he delivered more wins to CU this year I'm positive at this point there will be something "wrong" with it. You guys are way too biased for whatever reason to see past the end of your nose when you start trying to rationalize stupid öööö like money doesn't matter in relation to winning. I suppose Michigan is a "hotbed" of talent too LMAO.

Just make sure you are sending your collective checks in to the Tech Way and the A-T fund because I would like to make winning a regular event again on the Flats in the future.

We'll just have to wait to see how this plays out. But like I said even if he delivered more wins to CU this year I'm positive at this point there will be something "wrong" with it. You guys are way too biased for whatever reason to see past the end of your nose when you start trying to rationalize stupid öööö like money doesn't matter in relation to winning. I suppose Michigan is a "hotbed" of talent too LMAO.

Just make sure you are sending your collective checks in to the Tech Way and the A-T fund because I would like to make winning a regular event again on the Flats in the future.
Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio is indeed a massive hotbed of talent.

You can play a jackass all you want on the board, you can forget why Tech didn't get an undisputed title in '90 all you want, you can claim that money makes wins like a causal relationship all you want, but you're still trying to feed kimchi to toddlers... your schtick grows tired and repetitive.

The clear and obvious conclusion is that Deion will not be deemed a good hire in the long run, or even in a year.
We are super smart for not having engaged with him.

Now cry a little and let it sink in, BEFORE you repeat the same things you have already said 3 times. Thanks.

Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio is indeed a massive hotbed of talent.

You can play a jackass all you want on the board, you can forget why Tech didn't get an undisputed title in '90 all you want, you can claim that money makes wins like a causal relationship all you want, but you're still trying to feed kimchi to toddlers... your schtick grows tired and repetitive.

The clear and obvious conclusion is that Deion will not be deemed a good hire in the long run, or even in a year.
We are super smart for not having engaged with him.

Now cry a little and let it sink in, BEFORE you repeat the same things you have already said 3 times. Thanks.

january-005.jpg

I do believe the Deion hire brought the school more revenue through ticket sales, merchandizing, etc. In addition, the businesses surrounding the campus have seen a big increase in revenue as well. According to the school, there has been a big increase in student applications particularly in black student enrollment. So Deion is directly responsible for all of that with the press he and the school have received.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is whenever he leaves the program will be left in horrible shape. He and his staff use the portal to make up the team and do little to no high school recruitment. Whoever the next coach is will be left with an empty roster.

Deion took over a program nobody talked about except a few of us still pissed about the sequence of events that led to a split title.

He’s embarrassing, not talented, controversial, etc but he’s got Colorado football back on the national stage albeit conversationally only. whoever takes over in a year or two will be able to gut that team and start over with enough money and fan interest to be successful.

If anyone at Colorado thought Deion was a long term plan, they’re idiots.

Called it before he even met the team in Boulder. Deion is here 110% to inflate his sons' career prospects. He's history after they're done and Colorado will be left used and abused.

Having Shedeur throwing on 4th down with a few seconds left, up 19... lolololol

Deion took over a program nobody talked about except a few of us still pissed about the sequence of events that led to a split title.

He’s embarrassing, not talented, controversial, etc but he’s got Colorado football back on the national stage albeit conversationally only. whoever takes over in a year or two will be able to gut that team and start over with enough money and fan interest to be successful.

Yeah I think it was a sensible hire for a forgotten program like Colorado's. But scandal and lasting reputational damage is a big risk.

Like this (probably posted already):

The success of this long-term strategy also depends on Colorado doing what no organization of human beings has ever done, using the money wisely.

Yeah I think it was a sensible hire for a forgotten program like Colorado's. But scandal and lasting reputational damage is a big risk.

Like this (probably posted already):

Wow, the other Athlon articles linked at bottom had more I'd not heard. Like this:

"The [Lil'] Wayne concert was the final straw for a few players who hit the transfer portal," a source said. "When Coach Prime told us we all had to be there to support Shedeur as a rapper, they were not happy at all. To be honest, it was nothing but a huge distraction and Daddy Ball was being played."

Back