Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

just checking to make sure this thread is still active.

niclaff.gif

Ummm what? It was a bowl win cementing a winning season. Nothing more. To date, beating UCF is the high water mark for Colorado. Unlike Prime, CBK has already beaten the following who finished with a winning record.

2022:

Duke - 9-4
Pitt - 9-4
UNC - 9-5

2023:

UNC - 8-5
Miami - 7-6
Is this thread about Prime vs Key? I think maybe that’s the disconnect here.

Key has exceeded my expectations. I would’ve preferred Prime to Key at the get go. Key was an asst under Gef. But hindsight is 20/20. Money’s flowing better at GT and Key is working hard to bring in some difference makers. I’m cheering for him.

Prime went to a bad locale in a bad conference. Come to beach less Colorado and play in a school without a ton of support in the snow is not a great selling point. That being the case, Prime has done a great job there.

Good for both of them.

What’s the point of this thread again?

Key has exceeded my expectations. I would’ve preferred Prime to Key at the get go. Key was an asst under Gef. But hindsight is 20/20. Money’s flowing better at GT and Key is working hard to bring in some difference makers. I’m cheering for him.

Prime went to a bad locale in a bad conference. Come to beach less Colorado and play in a school without a ton of support in the snow is not a great selling point. That being the case, Prime has done a great job there.

Good for both of them.

What’s the point of this thread again?

I don't think it was ever Prime v Key. That's just a dumb contest anyway. It was about GT not using it's market to slingshot a boatload of dough into the coffers with a "Prime" time attraction at a point in the program where we could have definitely used a big cash infusion, and an adrenaline shot into the heart.

Instead we picked a "safe" route for better or worse is yet to be known but in any event we're not rewinding time. It seems steady as she goes for now.

On the other hand you hit the nail on the head. Deion's ceiling in CO was always realistically much lower than it would have been at say, FSU, TAMu, USC, or yes, even Atlanta. People want to naysay the success he already brought to the buffs program and that's whatever.

I woulda loved to see him at BDS with the support of the sidewalk fans behind him. I think it would have been gross with pleasure. However, I also woulda liked to see CPJ with resources the school and fans never gave him either. Instead we traded him in for a flaming bag of dick, and there was lots of support on this board for his ouster at the time.

Now suddenly we're getting content again with hoping for a 7 win season after 4 years of wtf. What blows my mind is I can't figure out why we wouldn't go for broke, even just from a fan standpoint if we were willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater to begin with.

Prime is the equivalent of putting 80k on a throw of the dice, but we didn't have the sack to place the bet. It's easy for me to tell which candy ass posters around here have all their retirement funds locked into CDs for the last 30 years. But hey, everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion, first amendment yay!

You're like a person cheering an empty field from a skybox
Aren’t you the guy always whining about people bringing politics into this forum? Because that’s clearly a reference to a photo of one of the vice presidential candidates this past weekend.

Aren’t you the guy always whining about people bringing politics into this forum? Because that’s clearly a reference to a photo of one of the vice presidential candidates this past weekend.
That's your inference, not in my post
Gtfo

Now suddenly we're getting content again with hoping for a 7 win season after 4 years of wtf. What blows my mind is I can't figure out why we wouldn't go for broke, even just from a fan standpoint if we were willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater to begin with.
Old guard are content with 7-5. They just don't want to be embarrassed (Geoff) or have a gimmick offense (Johnson).

I don't think it was ever Prime v Key. That's just a dumb contest anyway. It was about GT not using it's market to slingshot a boatload of dough into the coffers with a "Prime" time attraction at a point in the program where we could have definitely used a big cash infusion, and an adrenaline shot into the heart.

Instead we picked a "safe" route for better or worse is yet to be known but in any event we're not rewinding time. It seems steady as she goes for now.

On the other hand you hit the nail on the head. Deion's ceiling in CO was always realistically much lower than it would have been at say, FSU, TAMu, USC, or yes, even Atlanta. People want to naysay the success he already brought to the buffs program and that's whatever.

I woulda loved to see him at BDS with the support of the sidewalk fans behind him. I think it would have been gross with pleasure. However, I also woulda liked to see CPJ with resources the school and fans never gave him either. Instead we traded him in for a flaming bag of dick, and there was lots of support on this board for his ouster at the time.

Prime is the equivalent of putting 80k on a throw of the dice, but we didn't have the sack to place the bet. It's easy for me to tell which candy ass posters around here have all their retirement funds locked into CDs for the last 30 years. But hey, everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion, first amendment yay!
This is an interesting and somewhat true analogy. Just remember those of us with retirement funds locked into CDs may not be rich, but we are not living under the bridge.

Cause if he failed miserably, broke is what we would be after buying him out (and what you think about the odds of that happening is pure opinion). The difference between GT and Colorado is GT can recover from it's low point without Sanders (even if slower without Sanders under the right hypothetical) while Colorado problem had almost no hope of going anywhere without such a hire.

I thought it was just a "deion is bad for college football thread". I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe it follows many paths.

I agree with this, but we won’t be content for long with 7-5. We had a chance with Prime and didn’t take it. I would have, but I also admit it could have ended in, well, worse than Gef catastrophe.

I think you are correct about it not being between Key and Prime. I completely speculating but I don't think Prime was even considered (but who knows). There is zero doubt or disagreement that Prime would have brought the spotlight with him and a good chunk of cash as well.

But having been thru the crash-burn-rebuild cycle starting with Pepper Rodgers (probably the closest comparison to Prime ever to coach here), replacing the Idiot with Prime would not have worked in my opinion. In Boulder, Prime replaced the bulk of the roster with a stack of blue-chip transfers. Do you really think that would work here? We've had some success with the portal but go down CO's roster in order of NFL draft potential and confirm that all those guys would be on GT's roster if Prime was our HC.

First off, I don't think he would have been given the authority to run off the bulk of our scholly guys. Secondly, he would not have had anywhere near the portal success here that he had in CO. Thirdly, his complete abandonment of the traditional recruiting process (no home visits ever?) would not work here - see previous problem with building a roster from the Portal at GT vs CO.

I remember, in the pre-portal days, Bill Snyder at Kansas St. built rosters year after year on "transfers". I can't say with certainty that Travis Hunter would or wouldn't be playing for GT if Prime came here but I have my doubts. Where would CO be if he decided to go to OSU or Bama instead? We can't take a chance like that.

Again, I've been through at least 4 major reconstructions of our football program. You might be right in thinking that Prime would have a much bigger upside here than a "safe bet" candidate. But I would counter that if it didn't work out, we would be looking at back-to-back program catastrophes.

Weigh the pros and cons and don't ignore the cons.

I think you are correct about it not being between Key and Prime. I completely speculating but I don't think Prime was even considered (but who knows). There is zero doubt or disagreement that Prime would have brought the spotlight with him and a good chunk of cash as well.

But having been thru the crash-burn-rebuild cycle starting with Pepper Rodgers (probably the closest comparison to Prime ever to coach here), replacing the Idiot with Prime would not have worked in my opinion. In Boulder, Prime replaced the bulk of the roster with a stack of blue-chip transfers. Do you really think that would work here? We've had some success with the portal but go down CO's roster in order of NFL draft potential and confirm that all those guys would be on GT's roster if Prime was our HC.

First off, I don't think he would have been given the authority to run off the bulk of our scholly guys. Secondly, he would not have had anywhere near the portal success here that he had in CO. Thirdly, his complete abandonment of the traditional recruiting process (no home visits ever?) would not work here - see previous problem with building a roster from the Portal at GT vs CO.

I remember, in the pre-portal days, Bill Snyder at Kansas St. built rosters year after year on "transfers". I can't say with certainty that Travis Hunter would or wouldn't be playing for GT if Prime came here but I have my doubts. Where would CO be if he decided to go to OSU or Bama instead? We can't take a chance like that.

Again, I've been through at least 4 major reconstructions of our football program. You might be right in thinking that Prime would have a much bigger upside here than a "safe bet" candidate. But I would counter that if it didn't work out, we would be looking at back-to-back program catastrophes.

Weigh the pros and cons and don't ignore the cons.
Obviously, bringing Prime would have required the full and complete plunge into winning at all costs. Had we done that, he absolutely could’ve sold Atlanta better than Boulder. And even with that, there was still a risk of utter catastrophe.

Back