Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

Deion in Atlanta would have been straight fire. Look what he has done in Colorado. But that ship has sailed.

They're is nothing wrong with being excited to watch a 1-11 team absolutely no one outside of Colorado cared about turn things around. I've never had a problem with Deion, ran into him at Gwinnett Place back in his Atlanta days and he was polite, not a jerk. Some people are all talk and no sizzle, ie: Geoff Collins ; that is not Deion Sanders.
Deion opening up in the Benz for GT would have been the craziest publicity we’ve ever had in school history.

Too bad we weren’t able to let his “baggage” enroll. We were super close to having him.

And no, it wasn’t “The Hill’s” fault either. No way we could have admitted those players due to transfer credits.

Deion’s darlings slipped by mighty Colorado State in 2 OT yesterday. I wonder how they might have fared against Ole Miss.

Dang fellas, you all were this close to being able to come in here and give us the old Tech chest thumping I told you so. It would have been so epic. I'm sorry.

You'll have to wait until next week. Do they have Oregon on deck? Losing to Oregon won't be as epic. I totally expect Oregon to win. At least I hope so. If not the hype train will hit critical mass, as if it hasn't already.

Too bad we weren’t able to let his “baggage” enroll. We were super close to having him.

And no, it wasn’t “The Hill’s” fault either. No way we could have admitted those players due to transfer credits.
Make up whatever you want to make yourself feel better. It's all good.

Deion opening up in the Benz for GT would have been the craziest publicity we’ve ever had in school history.

Close? I don’t remember us making any sort of run at Prime. Typical Tech. There is a reason we can’t have nice things.

As a fan of a team that has lost 100 games by 1 or 2 plays a game during my lifetime, he is doing it right. the hate is weird.
I don't think there's hate going on. I think folks here are pushing back on what the media does - rush to hype - and how certain one's on this board are using that premature hype now to bash our coach. Meanwhile, our coach has clearly improved our team and is right on track with where any serious person would have pegged us at this point.

Dang fellas, you all were this close to being able to come in here and give us the old Tech chest thumping I told you so. It would have been so epic. I'm sorry.

You'll have to wait until next week. Do they have Oregon on deck? Losing to Oregon won't be as epic. I totally expect Oregon to win. At least I hope so. If not the hype train will hit critical mass, as if it hasn't already.
I see you're prepping your excuse for next week's loss.

Colorado State handed that game to Colorado. 7 personal fouls. 17 penalties for 182 yards. One of the 4th quarter PF penalties was absolute bullshit on a cut block by a RB on a DT that looked entirely legal, unless the rule has changed. RB facing the DT in protection. Maybe the rule is now a 185 lb RB isn't allowed to interfere with a 330 lb DT on his way to the QB. I thought the PF in OT was bullshit on CSU's best DT, but the days of big boy football are in the past.

CSU put on a clinic on Colorado's last drive in regulation of how to NOT win a ballgame. I understand the defense of you're up 10 or 13, but one score and you cease all QB pressure and allow a QB to stand in the pocket while you rush 3 or 4? It reminded me of the old NFL prevent defense the Falcon's would play that prevented them from winning. Give up big chunks, try to keep them in front of you, what could go wrong?

I don't think there's hate going on. I think folks here are pushing back on what the media does - rush to hype

I don't what year some of you were born, but the swirl of hype, whether created by him or the media, has surrounded Deion since he was in high school. The dude has the midas touch and has created gold his whole life (sometimes in unlikely places). This is nothing new and there is no rush to do it. The only new thing is people being surprised by it.

On the football side, Deion is doing a masterful job hiding and working around his team's weaknesses. He is one portal/recruiting season away from 10 wins. Colorado State was the most Miami looking team I have seen since Miami of the 90s (a personal foul factory)

I don't think there's hate going on. I think folks here are pushing back on what the media does - rush to hype - and how certain one's on this board are using that premature hype now to bash our coach. Meanwhile, our coach has clearly improved our team and is right on track with where any serious person would have pegged us at this point.
We've always had the assholes on this board who, if they were AD, would make perfect decisions, GT would just reload every year, we'd win every game, and the stadium would be full.

Reminds me of the couple that used to sit behind me at BDS from about 2008-2010, constantly complaining that "why aren't we throwing the ball. We should throw the ball" as we are steamrolling a team on the ground.

I don't what year some of you were born, but the swirl of hype, whether created by him or the media, has surrounded Deion since he was in high school. The dude has the midas touch and has created gold his whole life (sometimes in unlikely places). This is nothing new. The only new thing is people being surprised by it.
Surprised by what, the hype or his success? If he was such a sure thing, based on his life of hype, then why has it taken him so long to get to be a HC at a low-level P5 program? Dude is 56 years old.

We're not the only ones that have not bought the hype as a head coach. He has to prove that. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. He's played a pretty easy schedule so far and barely won over a crappy team yesterday. My feeling is the hype needs to subside (but we all know it won't) so our (very intelligent) folks need to understand this and stop using it to bash our coach, who is actually making progress as well against a much tougher schedule so far.

Surprised by what, the hype or his success?

you mentioned the rush to hype. I said there was no rush... there just is.. and always has been. I am not surprised by his success though.

and barely won over a crappy team yesterday

so you are saying he beats the Citadels on his schedule? Thats a good start for a new coach.

I also thought it was interesting that Colorado State has 11 new OL they got off the portal.

I agree on both. However, CBK's HC resume doesn't include a loss to Citadel. Yes, Neon Deion was always surrounded by hype as a player. He was a great player. Since then, the hype has died down until last year's JSU team went on a run, then it hyped up again in a nanosecond.

My frustration is how that new mega-hype has influenced how many here think about GA Tech's decisions and has now led to bashing our HC who is actually making progress. TCU is no top-25 team right now and Colorado managed to eke by them and Colorado State and dismantle a completely woeful Nebraska program.

I have no hate for Deon. I think he's doing a solid job turning Colorado around, and an excellent job recruiting, obviously. Hype is not a bad thing and can only help a program. I think they are a little overrated this soon because of it though. With them being 18 and Ole Miss being 17, I think Ole Miss would wipe the floor with them. They do seem to be the head of schedule though.

As far as him coming to Tech, who knows if he would have even wanted to come here. We have to get away from this idea that we are somehow a destination school right now. Key had a hard time lining up an outside DC after all.

I have no hate for Deon. I think he's doing a solid job turning Colorado around, and an excellent job recruiting, obviously. Hype is not a bad thing and can only help a program. I think they are a little overrated this soon because of it though. With them being 18 and Ole Miss being 17, I think Ole Miss would wipe the floor with them. They do seem to be the head of schedule though.

As far as him coming to Tech, who knows if he would have even wanted to come here. We have to get away from this idea that we are somehow a destination school right now. Key had a hard time lining up an outside DC after all.

Agreed. The Deion crew acts like Deion was sitting waiting for that GT offer and we failed him. I'm guessing he will eventually, if he does well at Colorado, will end up at a school like Miami, Florida State, LSU, aTm.....big money schools.

Back