Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

CU has something that was necessary to getting Prime that GT would never get: the cooperation of the state legislature and BOR to ok the changes necessary to allow Prime to do what he wants.

Please give me a link where the state legislature or BOR gave the University the changes you are referring to

CU has something that was necessary to getting Prime that GT would never get: the cooperation of the state legislature and BOR to ok the changes necessary to allow Prime to do what he wants.
Not to burst your bubble here, but the BOR is not truly the problem. Sort of a false narrative that has been blown out of proportion. I’m not going to give away my source, but this was sort of laughed at a few years ago by someone on a staff. Like everything else, I was told take what you see from “insiders“ as 50% accurate until all details come out. There’s a reason why every coaching staff holds back information.

The school itself is the defining factor in all this. Again, nothing wrong with that. GT is there to provide a world class education. GT does not have the budget like the ACC, SEC powers surrounding them.

Go and check the GA BOR and see where most graduated from. May surprise you.

Well, the BOR says, taking calculus is a requirement at GT, regardless of degree, but CBK says, you don't and he never did. So, maybe there's a way around BOR requirements.

Key didn’t take a class called calculus, but he took calculus.

Please give me a link where the state legislature or BOR gave the University the changes you are referring to
It was previously linked in this thread that the Colorado legislature got involved in altering transfer credit requirements.

Key didn’t take a class called calculus, but he took calculus.
Unless in changed in between, I took a quarter of differential calculus and a quarter of integral calculus. It was by no means engineering level calculus, but it was calculus. Many football players were in the classes with me.

Oh yeah?
I am a bit tired after work, but I don't see the legislature having anything to do with that, just CU itself streamlining things and shoe- horning credits in where they may or may not belong. Which, is something UGA is good at apparently per the article.

I know this is going to come as a shock to you….. but they didn’t
Colorado's Board of Regents approves, among other things, CU's degree programs and coach contracts. The Board of Regents consists of six state legislators and determines how much of the state's education budget goes to CU Boulder (currently about $2B out of $38B total). CU's chancellor has done two very significant public 180s regarding CU's football program in the past year. First, when Colorado fired Karl Dorrell last year, Distefano categorically said CU didn't have the degree programs necessary for Deion's expected transfer players and "that's not going to change". He might have been (likely was) talking to donors and the AD at the time about doing exactly that, but he knew he'd first have to clear it with the regents who could overrule such a move. On 4th of December, DiStefano announced a rule change regarding transfer credits and new degree programs. On 22nd of December, CU's board of regents approved Deion's contract. In June of this year, the Board of Regents announced a new "education studies" degree program at CU Boulder. That's how it played out. DiStefano needed to know the legislators who oversee him would sign off on a new degree program and approve Deion's contract. You don't send those sorts of things to a vote unless you expect you have the votes. The legislators who oversee him had to be on board.

The other significant reversal by DiStefano in the past 12 months was on CU's conference membership. In April, DiStefano was publicly stating they are "committed to the Pac 12." Given that such a decision significantly affects CU's budget and operating expenses, I'd expect their move to the Big 12 also had to be cleared with the BOR.

Well, the BOR says, taking calculus is a requirement at GT, regardless of degree, but CBK says, you don't and he never did. So, maybe there's a way around BOR requirements.

This is what everyone fails to understand. Not all our players are engineers, some aren't even close.

But they all take calculus (unless some new major doesn’t like psychology).
You’re arguing with a brick wall at this point.

I posted the CBK article from ESPN with his comment saying he didn’t take Calc. Others have pointed out the course was just named different when he was in school.

Colorado's Board of Regents approves, among other things, CU's degree programs and coach contracts. The Board of Regents consists of six state legislators and determines how much of the state's education budget goes to CU Boulder (currently about $2B out of $38B total). CU's chancellor has done two very significant public 180s regarding CU's football program in the past year. First, when Colorado fired Karl Dorrell last year, Distefano categorically said CU didn't have the degree programs necessary for Deion's expected transfer players and "that's not going to change". He might have been (likely was) talking to donors and the AD at the time about doing exactly that, but he knew he'd first have to clear it with the regents who could overrule such a move. On 4th of December, DiStefano announced a rule change regarding transfer credits and new degree programs. On 22nd of December, CU's board of regents approved Deion's contract. In June of this year, the Board of Regents announced a new "education studies" degree program at CU Boulder. That's how it played out. DiStefano needed to know the legislators who oversee him would sign off on a new degree program and approve Deion's contract. You don't send those sorts of things to a vote unless you expect you have the votes. The legislators who oversee him had to be on board.

The other significant reversal by DiStefano in the past 12 months was on CU's conference membership. In April, DiStefano was publicly stating they are "committed to the Pac 12." Given that such a decision significantly affects CU's budget and operating expenses, I'd expect their move to the Big 12 also had to be cleared with the BOR.
So you are saying the state legislature had nothing to do with it....correct????

This is what everyone fails to understand. Not all our players are engineers, some aren't even close.
Most of our players are Business Admin majors. That apparently replaced Industrial Management as the prevalent major for players. It has a calculus course, either Integral Calculus or Survey of Calculus, are a core requirement. A few are History Science & Technology majors, and that also requires a calculus course. Survey of Calculus is likely the one they take. There's now a BS in Psychology and it lists Integral Calculus as a core requirement, no Survey of Calculus option. Even the Literature Media & Communication degree has a calculus course as a core requirement. More liberal artsy majors than in my day, but still gotta take a calculus class for any bachelor's degree from GT far as I can tell. Here's the full list of bachelor's degree programs.

Key majored in Industrial Management. I remember him talking to Andy Demetra about taking calculus when he was a player. Think it was shortly around time he was named IHC.

Which of these things is not like the other two and why? (This is a complex question so there may be multiple answers)

A. Jackson State University
B. Georgia Institute of Technology
C. University of Colorado
I know what the answer is but I don’t wanna say it…

You’re arguing with a brick wall at this point.

I posted the CBK article from ESPN with his comment saying he didn’t take Calc. Others have pointed out the course was just named different when he was in school.

Naw you are ignoring the fact that athletes are graded differently than your average student even at the Institute. If you are going to argue that all our players are as smart as non-athlete students then you really don't know how this stuff works.

It's just like when you say Deion had zero interest in coming to Atlanta. That is absolutely asinine that he would pick Boulder because of "traffic" lol.

First of all you obviously haven't been to Colorado lately and second of all Deion not wanting to deal with admissions issues doesn't mean he didn't want to come here, it just means he picked the path with the lower barrier to entry which is on us, not him.

I never said the path was easy to change our admission process and I understand that a heavily ugag biased BOR exists. The fact though is that WE DIDN'T TRY and therefore we lost the opportunity. So that is where your argument holds no water. At least we could then be in battle with the BOR because they denied us the ability to change standards. It's probably a change we should still be actively pursuing, at least until the NCAA makes a move.

His exposure with his kids, and whatever program he could build would have been immensely higher profile in Atlanta. Shadeur would be flying around in a G5 instead of driving a rolls Royce.

This excuse making is something that seems to be getting bred into our fanbase. I don't settle for that pussy-foot copout and neither should the rest of the fans.

So you are saying the state legislature had nothing to do with it....correct????
Far from it. Legislators on the BOR had to approve Deion's contract and had to approve the new degree program. DiStefano wasn't about to move forward on either of those without knowing if he had their support. Claiming the "legislature had nothing to do with it" is flat out ignorance. The full legislature (general assembly) controls the budget and can fire the chancellor. The BOR dismissed CU's chancellor after a rape scandal involving CU players when Gary Barnett was coach (Barnett was also fired). The restrictive rules on transfer credits came about after legislators booted the chancellor. Something DiStefano surely knew.

Back